Grant Shapps panders to The Mail

roubaixtuesday

Re: Grant Shapps panders to The Mail

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:36am
djnotts wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 7:45am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 7:13am
"First they came for immigrants..."

Perhaps this may help cyclists notice that these people spend their time not trying to help the country, but generating hatred against vulnerable groups including refugees, transgender people, benefits claimants and anyone else who they can use to divide the country and continue in power.

Cyclists take note that you're also viewed as fair game, and vote accordingly.
Just so. Many motorists dislike cyclists, very easy to incite many of them to hatred. Exactly same tactics as with the many people who dislike foreigners, refugees and the disabled on benefits and were incited to ramp up to hatred - and brexit.
I agree about the political and psychological technique that is being used here. And it's getting rapidly worse as shown by the policy of the day from the candidates for the leadership of the Conservative Party (with a side order of Hard of Government.)

I don't think that the defence against this polarisation and outgroup hatred is helped by the type of rhetoric and generalisation common in this forum against people who sometimes drive cars.

Jonathan
Would be interested to see a couple of axamples of what you mean?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

pwa wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 6:37am
simonineaston wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 6:04am Old chestnut - or real threat??Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 06.02.50.png
I think Shapps may also have been quoted in the Times as being put off by the bureaucracy involved in requiring cyclists to display registration numbers, which leads me to think that this may come to nothing.
A long time ago there was a cycle registration scheme in Belgium - a tax had to be paid - eventually the scheme was abandoned.
I seem to remember seeing a cyclist on a road bike with a very small number plate attached to his rear brake.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 9:18am
pwa wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 6:37am
simonineaston wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 6:04am Old chestnut - or real threat??Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 06.02.50.png
I think Shapps may also have been quoted in the Times as being put off by the bureaucracy involved in requiring cyclists to display registration numbers, which leads me to think that this may come to nothing.
A long time ago there was a cycle registration scheme in Belgium - a tax had to be paid - eventually the scheme was abandoned.
I seem to remember seeing a cyclist on a road bike with a very small number plate attached to his rear brake.
See also Denmark, the Netherlands, Singapore, and IIRC somewhere in Canada.

Jonathan
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Interesting that whilst this news item appears, there was also another item showing the UK is likely to be left behind Europe in cycling growth. I wonder why 🙄
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

ANTONISH wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 9:18am
Portugal during the Salazar regime had a cycle registration scheme which was strictly enforced with high fines. (Easy to do in a dictatorship, so I'm sure Pritti Patel will be keen on it). There are a couple of old guys around here with number plates on their very old bikes which are about 20cm wide. I really need to stop them and have a chat about it.

But then Portugal also used to have a licence system for cigarette lighters!
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

VinceLedge wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 9:29am Interesting that whilst this news item appears, there was also another item showing the UK is likely to be left behind Europe in cycling growth. I wonder why 🙄
Although if you read beyond the headline of that article - in the second paragraph you would discover:

"... cycling levels have significantly risen since the pandemic – up 33% in the year to 30 July ..."
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

VinceLedge wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 9:29am Interesting that whilst this news item appears, there was also another item showing the UK is likely to be left behind Europe in cycling growth. I wonder why
That might be the same as discussed here:
viewtopic.php?p=1714809#p1714809

Which identified the difference between selling bikes and riding them.

Jonathan
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Unenforceable.
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

The Daily Rant loves to flex its right wing muscles on behalf of the Conservatives.

What is scary is that so many people swallow this nonsense. All this achieves is the stoking up of emotions of drivers to hate cyclists. Makes the recent "amendments" to the Highway Code seem all the more pointless in the sense that the Government want to gloss over them and keep on side with motorists. Sad as it doesn't encourage people to take up cycling be it for pleasure/leisure or to mitigate car usage.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When cUK dumped CJ, IRRC he was replaced by several media studies people. Perhaps they've now been dumped. In spite of the coincidence of the latest relevant legislation coming into force almost simultaneously not including more cycling offences, cUK has managed single-handed to add more fuel to Grant Shapps' spinning machine than the Daly Telegraph and Daily Mail together.

From Grant Shappes' POV, QED.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

The topic was discussed on radio 5 live's heated debate this morning.

I'm sure there would have been the usual hysteria, egged on by the presenter.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

De Sisti wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 11:24am The topic was discussed on radio 5 live's heated debate this morning.

I'm sure there would have been the usual hysteria, egged on by the presenter.
You've not listened to it yet?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I'd love to know what the police think of this proposal.

Have to be careful what they say of course but surely they will be making representations?

Or at least asked for their view on the matter?

If they aren't asked, well what more need one say about how this has been thought through?
Sweep
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Sweep wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 12:37pm I'd love to know what the police think of this proposal.

Have to be careful what they say of course but surely they will be making representations?

If they aren't asked, well what more need one say about how this has been thought through?
It's not a proposal, and it will never become a proposal. It's an attempt to garner support through publicising hatred of an out group - us.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 1:08pm
Sweep wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 12:37pm I'd love to know what the police think of this proposal.

It's not a proposal, and it will never become a proposal. It's an attempt to garner support through publicising hatred of an out group - us.
true
Sweep