Campy chain ring replacement prob

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Garry Booth

Campy chain ring replacement prob

Post by Garry Booth »

I have changed the chain, rear cassette and pulley wheels on my Campy Veloce Triple (circa 2008) and have now moved on to the chainrings.
It is fixed on with 5 (Hex/Allen) bolts. Four came off fine, but the one located by the crank turns without unscrewing. All the 'sleeve' threads have a slot in them but I didn't need any extra tool to loosen (or retighten) four. Am I missing something? Has the fifth fixing cross threaded?
Very little on the internet to guide me so any advice greatly received.
simonineaston

Re: Campy chain ring replacement prob

Post by simonineaston »

There's always one of a set that does that!
I usually just give the offending item a spray of something suitable, wait 24 hours if I can be bothered, then making sure I've immobilised the rear, slotted half, they usually separate.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

A big screwdriver, even if it does not fill both cutouts, usually does the job of holding the sleeve nut while turning the allen key.
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

Thanks Simon and Tata, I'll give it a try and report back!
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

A tire lever can often hold the back enough..
531colin

Post by 531colin »

You can buy spanners which are supposed to hold the back-nut of a chainring bolt, https://spacycles.co.uk/ but they are fiddly to use and don't give much leverage. *****dunno why the link doesn't work....search "chainring peg spanner"
If the thing is really tight, or the thread is really stuck, you are going to have to take the chainset off.
I ground up a "tool" on the edge of a cone spanner (no cone spanners were injured in this production)......

ImageIMG_5534 by 531colin, on Flickr

You can see I thinned the spanner a bit so it fits the slot, and ground a "flat" ....with the exception that the "flat" has a peg which fits in the central bore of the fitting. Pop the home made spanner in the vise put the fitting on the spanner, turn the bolt with the Allen key.
drossall

Post by drossall »

There are various special tools for the job. Some are better than others.
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

So I got it loose by using the end of a screwdriver and successfully removed the big ring. Next step the five nuts on the other side that secure the middle and smallest ring. Four of these came off OK. Last one. Putting a lot of torque on it, the allen key (5mm) slipped and rounded off the hex hole nicely. And I slashed my wrist on the chain ring teeth as the allen key came away...
Chastened (ok, seething) I put a large plaster on, reassembled the big ring, put the chain back on and pushed the bike back into the shed.
Having a beer now.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Here's the Park tool offering on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155042668273 ... SwSD9ird4v
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I slashed my wrist
Ouch! They sure are pesky critters, them bolts...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)