Extinguishing a Trangia

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
horizon

Extinguishing a Trangia

Post by horizon »

One of the very few things that troubles me about a Trangia is how to extinguish the flame. I'm not even sure it is universally agreed how to do this. Here is one way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXFt8-viMug&t=578s

Personally I have never used the "simmer ring" for cooking with. I keep it handy for when I need to put the flame out. If it is in use, it's already too late.

On this page, https://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Trangia-Camping-Stove, the handle is used to hold the lid. Is this actually possible?

At other times I find that the small simmer hole actually allows the flame to continue to burn.

Any thoughts on this?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Paulatic

Re: Extinguishing a Trangia

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve only ever used the simmer ring to extinguish. Like you I’ve rarely used it for cooking I do everything on full pelt :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

If a tiny flame comes out the simmer ring pivot you can just snuff it by covering it with a bit of metal, eg side of gripper or base of pot.

The video seems a bit weird in that you wouldn't normally use the simmer ring when boiling water unless you're veeeeeeerrrrrry patient. :)

Also, to adjust simmer aperture when in use, its easier to use to metal things, eg a wire tent peg or short stainless spoke in addition to the gripper.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Unless boiling a kettle, I've mostly used the simmer ring to reduce the intensity of the flame. This puts me in the slightly awkward position of having to rotate the top, which I've found difficult. Somewhere along the way I obtained a second simmer ring and it's often easier to swap the two, one partially open, the other fully closed, when it's time to extinguish the flame. Attempting to blow out the flame is pointless in my experience.
Most folk will be brighter than me and so have avoided the stupid mistake of popping the transport cap with the rubber ring on the flame.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
horizon

Post by horizon »

simonineaston wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 5:02pm Somewhere along the way I obtained a second simmer ring and it's often easier to swap the two, one partially open, the other fully closed, when it's time to extinguish the flame.
This I think is the answer. You cannot use the simmer ring (despite that being the officlal Trangia advice) if it is indeed in use. You would have to retrieve it somehow by which time it would probably be cool and the flame out. Even if it isn't in use, flinging a cap onto the burner as in some fairground stall (and shown on the DofE video that I linked to) is to my mind daft.

I think Trangia have got this wrong. Yes, it all works out in practice (and requires practice!) but it's actually poor practice. What's required is another lid with a short spigot or handle. I'm baffled as to how and why Trangia thinks this is OK, especially in such an otherwise brilliantly thought out product.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 4:07pm If a tiny flame comes out the simmer ring pivot you can just snuff it by covering it with a bit of metal, eg side of gripper or base of pot.

The video seems a bit weird in that you wouldn't normally use the simmer ring when boiling water unless you're veeeeeeerrrrrry patient. :)

Also, to adjust simmer aperture when in use, its easier to use to metal things, eg a wire tent peg or short stainless spoke in addition to the gripper.
must admit I'm always suprised that Trangia hasn't finessed the simmer ring/tweaked it - manipulating it in use is tricky to say the least.

I think a second cap for closing down/extinguishing is the answer - must hunt for something.
Sweep
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Just drop the screw top over the flame.
Leave for aprox 5 seconds, then remove
Voila ! No more flame.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

jimlews wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:38pm Just drop the screw top over the flame.
Voila ! No more flame.
er isn't that what simon admitted to doing?
he decided this was a bad idea i assume as you burn the sealing ring.
Sweep
horizon

Post by horizon »

jimlews wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:38pm Just drop the screw top over the flame.
Voila ! No more flame.
You destroy the seal and, without checking this, you cannot drop it on as it has threads. Have you actually done this?
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Well, that is what I've done many, many times.
I've just checked my sealing ring and it's perfectly fine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Exactly so. The screw top included with the kit, intended to seal the burner if it still has fuel in it, has a rubber O ring in it. Dropping the screw top onto a burner while it's alight, risks exposing the rubber seal to enough heat to destroy its sealing properties. Guess how I know! see here
safety tips from the Trange site
safety tips from the Trange site
Last edited by simonineaston on 7 Aug 2022, 8:23pm, edited 2 times in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

and then there was the time my chum topped up the burner from the litre Sigg bottle - while the burner was still aflame... I think we were both lucky to survive unscathed!
S
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I'm plnning to avoid the problem (and get a faster cup of tea) - I have just ordered one of these https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/gosys ... lour=180 - it's a copy of the Trangia-branded one but half the price.
Bit of a weight penalty carrying a gas cylinder instead of meths, but I think it will be worth it.
Chris F, Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

jimlews wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 7:36pm Well, that is what I've done many, many times.
I've just checked my sealing ring and it's perfectly fine.
Thanks for that jim. I have checked the dropping of the screw top and indeed it does drop on, albeit so not completely as the simmer ring. Are you sure you haven't damaged the sealing ring? It may be of course that all these dire warnings are a bit over the top and the damage is possible but not inevitable.