Extinguishing a Trangia

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
horizon

Re: Extinguishing a Trangia

Post by horizon »

tenbikes wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 1:58pm ^^^couple of posts up........don't throw it. This technique is naff. Be brave and quickly and positively place it.
In this useful video you can see the yellow flame on the right hand burner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5uqKsgl-g

This isn't AFAIK how it should be but let's say that it is. I don't see how you use the ring or lid without throwing it or putting your hand in the flame. It might not burn your hand but it still does feel hot!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

Just be fast and positive. Slam the lid down, don't hesitate. Flame goes out instantly. Your fingers are in the flame for 10ths of second.
horizon

Post by horizon »

tenbikes wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 3:13pm Just be fast and positive. Slam the lid down, don't hesitate. Flame goes out instantly. Your fingers are in the flame for 10ths of second.
I'll take your encouragement! :D I know it works because I have had to do it but I don't like it!

By the way I say all this as an absolute Trangia aficionado. I came to Trangias late and wish I had discovered them earlier.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

horizon wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 4:04pm
tenbikes wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 3:13pm Just be fast and positive. Slam the lid down, don't hesitate. Flame goes out instantly. Your fingers are in the flame for 10ths of second.
I'll take your encouragement! :D I know it works because I have had to do it but I don't like it!

By the way I say all this as an absolute Trangia aficionado. I came to Trangias late and wish I had discovered them earlier.
same here

only arrived at them after

1 - some Italins told me they were old fashioned.

2 - a bloke in an outdoor shop tried to upsell me to a thing with all the cooking finesse of a jet engine and told me that Trangias were dangerous and that my idea of carrying a fuel bottle under the bike meant that I was almost certain to die in a fireball horror.
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I don't have a Trangia but another brand of meths burner. The maker actually recommends simply blowing it out, but IME this meets with variable results; works well if there's not much fuel left in the burner but otherwise can result in spreading flame and hot alcohol around! :shock: With an all-round windshield that goes down to the ground, this has never, fortunately, resulted in fire, but it's better – safer and more effective – to extinguish by smothering with metal lid type object, whether from bean can or whatever.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Discovered Trangia only this my 60th year ( I wasn't in the boy scouts ) and haven't had any issue just lashing my ring at the thing. :lol: Snuffs it out no probs.

I demonstrated this to motorcyclists at a race meeting a week ago. Then as a bonus I showed them how it all went together when packing up - they're all off to buy one each.
I am here. Where are you?
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Option B would be to replace the trangia burner with a speedster one, like wot I described on page 10 of this previous thread;

viewtopic.php?p=1694241#p1694241

Any adult with a normal set of lungs can blow out a speedster and there is no danger of an accidental spill.
Agitate, educate, organise.
RickH

Post by RickH »

If I'm not using the simmering lid I just drop it on, with the top closed, over the burner.

If I'm using it I've found I can usually knock it shut with the pot handle. If not, you can pick up the simmering lid with the pot handle held vertically. Then let the lid cool briefly before shutting the top & drop it over the flame.

I've never found the need to use anything else.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Years since I used one but even the thick teenager in me knew to pull the O ring out of the lid and drop it on. Don't rmember even carrying the simmer ring. Everything is cooked flat out.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

One of my cycling pals has made a brilliant device for dropping the lid on the burner. It is basically a small piece of telescopic rod from a broken umbrella handle with a wheel magnet from an old bike computer attached to the end of it. Works perfectly!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Can’t believe this discussion!

Close the simmer ring and top it from above. If it does drop over, use your fork, spoon or knife to nudge it. Simples.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 7:45pm Can’t believe this discussion!

Close the simmer ring and top it from above. If it does drop over, use your fork, spoon or knife to nudge it. Simples.
I have to admit that is the method I have always used.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
mxg01

Post by mxg01 »

Use the pot handle thing to remove the top wind-shield. It's almost like it was designed to fit the wind-shield rim. Then it's easy to pop the closed simmer ring over the burner.
JRS1950

Post by JRS1950 »

pedalsheep wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 10:15pm
Thehairs1970 wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 7:45pm Can’t believe this discussion!

I have to admit that is the method I have always used.
Seconded.
I have used various Trangia stoves over many years. I am amazed that there are indeed so many responses and amazed that the discussion has lasted so long. How much time has been wasted on such a silly little question!
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Sweep wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:30pm must admit I'm always surprised that Trangia hasn't finessed the simmer ring/tweaked it - manipulating it in use is tricky to say the least.

I think a second cap for closing down/extinguishing is the answer - must hunt for something.
Trangia have been working on improving the simmer ring it appears......

https://www-miun-se.translate.goog/utbi ... r_pto=wapp
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)