rear wheel removal

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
elsimper

rear wheel removal

Post by elsimper »

Hi folks, I have a really nice bike with a flat tyre, it's been flat since May because I can't get the rear wheel out to fix it. I've disconnected the brakes and loosened the quick release skewer but the wheel will not come out of the drops. At all. I've yanked and pulled and yes the chain is on the smallest cog and I've manipulated the derailleur out of the wheel but no, it will absolutely not budge. It's a Temple lightweight step through. I've no trouble removing the wheel off my Dawes super galaxy or any other bike I've had. Any advice gratefully appreciated. Honestly though, I feel like dumping it and buying another bike. I wouldn't even palm it off to some other unsuspecting mug. Disappointed with Temple to say the least. Bike's no good to me if I can't get the wheel off.
Jdsk

Re: rear wheel removal

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

Please can you add some photos of both sides of the rear wheel showing how it's held in the frame.

Thanks

Jonathan
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Is it one of these:

https://www.templecycles.co.uk/products ... ightweight

Looks like rear facing dropouts, maybe remove the quick release fully and try pulling the rear stays apart. It might be that the rear hub is a bit tight in the rear triangle. Reynolds 520 possibly so it shouldn't be too fragile.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

If the main problem is the chain snagging the cogs, you could remove the rear derailer. It should be quite easy.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If it's as linked by SimonCelsa, then one of the most obvious obstructions would be the rear mudguard if one is fitted. Unfastening the mudguard stays looks to be the absolute minimum. Then, see about lifting the chain off the chainwheel and cassette and slide the wheel backwords.
MsMellie

Post by MsMellie »

I had something like this happen recently. Maybe you should get someone to hold the chain so it is not in contact with the cogs at all in case the chain is what's blocking it. Also try pulling the drops away from the wheel, some bikes (mainly old steelframes) won't let you move the when otherwise.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

SimonCelsa wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 5:52pm Is it one of these:

https://www.templecycles.co.uk/products ... ightweight

Looks like rear facing dropouts, maybe remove the quick release fully and try pulling the rear stays apart. It might be that the rear hub is a bit tight in the rear triangle. Reynolds 520 possibly so it shouldn't be too fragile.
why oh why would a sensible person put together such a combination? worst of all worlds!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

My wife has one of these and the rear facing (track-end) dropouts are a bit of a pain. You have done everything right but you also need to undo the mudguard stays. All being well, a firm backwards pull will then get the wheel out. If not, then I suggest you contact Temple.
geomannie
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

I've had this set up before. Such a PITA I sold it.

Taking the QR out completely is a must. If that doesn't work you can take the chain off the front. After that your taking the RD off, or breaking the chain. If it goes that far do yourself a favour and build it back Single speed or with a Internal Gear hub.

If you lose your temper with it you'll probably end up with scratched paintwork, and a bent RD.
elsimper

Post by elsimper »

thanks everyone, I'll give it another go, I have been in touch several times with Temple and they have suggested the same things mentioned here.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jupestar wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 9:33pm If it goes that far do yourself a favour and build it back Single speed or with a Internal Gear hub.
If anywhere near West Norfolk, I have a Shimano Nexus 3 hub-gear backpedal-braked wheel, the fixings for rear-facing dropouts and some spare bearings for it sat doing nothing. No half-sensible offer refused. I really ought to list it properly in the classifieds, along with a couple of Brooks saddles, but I've not yet found time to take good pictures and find all the info.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

Hi, welcome to the bike maintenance experience :-)

If you are still struggling, try deflating the tyre - my Dawes runs on tyres that will not clear the brake pads inflated.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As mentioned upthread, a picture is worth a ton of text.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

JohnMorgan wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 9:40am Hi, welcome to the bike maintenance experience :-)

If you are still struggling, try deflating the tyre - my Dawes runs on tyres that will not clear the brake pads inflated.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.
The OP wants to remove the wheel because s/he has a flat tyre.
Richard M
Cardiff
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

elsimper wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 12:24pm thanks everyone, I'll give it another go, I have been in touch several times with Temple and they have suggested the same things mentioned here.
Have you tried any of hem or were you hoping for a different answer here?
Richard M
Cardiff