Going from dual to triple crankset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
skylined

Going from dual to triple crankset

Post by skylined »

I am looking to buy the Cube Attention 29 bike and swapping the 36x26 dual crank for a trekking triple 48/36/26 (T6010). Clearly I will need a new front derailleur that can accommodate the 22 tooth difference (FD-T8000-H), a new triple shifter (SL-M7000-L), maybe a wider bottom bracket to clear the chainstay, a new rear derailleur that can again accommodate the front+rear tooth difference (RD-T8000) and possibly a different cassette, going from the 11-42 to an 11-36. Reasons for wanting to go to a triple crank is I like cycling of the saddle at low cadence, I use to have a Kona Splice 29 2013 that had that 48/11 combination and I miss it ever since. I'm not considering hydrid/gravel bikes, either not good enough for off road or not having front suspension. I know the modification is expensive but I will keep the bike for ~5 years, if someone knows anything else I should be looking at before I go ahead and buy that bike please let me know. Many thanks
cycle tramp

Re: Going from dual to triple crankset

Post by cycle tramp »

skylined wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:59pm Reasons for wanting to go to a triple crank is I like cycling of the saddle at low cadence, I use to have a Kona Splice 29 2013 that had that 48/11 combination and I miss it ever since....
....I know the modification is expensive but I will keep the bike for ~5 years, if someone knows anything else I should be looking at before I go ahead and buy that bike please let me know. Many thanks
What's your leg length and what length cranks are you using at the moment?
scottg

Post by scottg »

You are just doing what most people who buy a bike with parts already on it.
You're just doing in one go, instead of taking a year to replace most of the parts.

I saved all the parts that I took off, then when I sold the bike, I was able
to restore it to factory spec, made it easier to sell.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
skylined

Post by skylined »

cycle tramp wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 7:18pm What's your leg length and what length cranks are you using at the moment?
Don't know my leg length, I'm 5'11, using 170mm crank length at moment, I know this one is 175mm.
skylined

Post by skylined »

scottg wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 7:21pmI saved all the parts that I took off, then when I sold the bike, I was able
to restore it to factory spec, made it easier to sell.
Never thought of that but it's a good idea. I was planning on selling the brand new parts I'm going to be replacing plus my current bike to offset the cost of the "transformation"
GideonReade

Post by GideonReade »

If you are planning on replacing the entire transmission immediately (excl only front shifter?), wouldn't it be more economical, and perhaps satisfying, to buy it as a bare frame, and build it up exactly as you want?
skylined

Post by skylined »

GideonReade wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 8:12pm If you are planning on replacing the entire transmission immediately (excl only front shifter?), wouldn't it be more economical, and perhaps satisfying, to buy it as a bare frame, and build it up exactly as you want?
Also a good idea since manufacturers are pretty much heading to single chainring 29ers. Even though I don't have the time to work on the bike so a lbs will be doing the swap I still think the cost savings would be between minimal and none existent, but again this is something I haven't thought of and might actually end up going down that route sooner or later since my idea of a 29er doesn't exist anymore
skylined

Post by skylined »

From your replies I guess what I have in mind is feasible, since no one said it cannot be done/it will not work
peetee

Post by peetee »

skylined wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 9:23pm From your replies I guess what I have in mind is feasible, since no one said it cannot be done/it will not work
Not necessarily. It’s more likely that no forum viewers have experience of converting that particular bike. With the diversity of design available from different manufacturers it’s not a given that conversions like yours are possible. It may be a multi-purpose bike but it’s ability to be adaptable for personal choice could be limited.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
eagle-four

Post by eagle-four »

I'd also be wary that there is enough clearance between chainstay and chainring for the 48 tooth outer. Modern 29ers are not designed with triples in mind, its all 2.4 inch tyres, 1x or 2x systems. This leaves no room for triple chainrings
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

skylined wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 9:15pm ...
Even though I don't have the time to work on the bike so a lbs will be doing the swap...
skylined wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 9:23pm From your replies I guess what I have in mind is feasible, since no one said it cannot be done/it will not work
Have you spoken to the bike shop who will be doing the work?

Who will be deciding the exact components to be used?

Who will be supplying them?

I'd want to be very clear about these before doing anything like this. The way that you approach these will determine the responsibility for sorting it out if it any of it doesn't work well. This wonderfully helpful forum not having spotted a problem isn't a guarantee of success!

Jonathan
skylined

Post by skylined »

eagle-four wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 7:35am I'd also be wary that there is enough clearance between chainstay and chainring for the 48 tooth outer. Modern 29ers are not designed with triples in mind, its all 2.4 inch tyres, 1x or 2x systems. This leaves no room for triple chainrings

Just had a conversation with the shop, the guy had a look at the bike and told me there is 12mm clearance between the bigger chainring and the frame so he is fairly certain the outer chainring of a triple crank will seat even further outside thus clearing the frame
skylined

Post by skylined »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 7:53am Have you spoken to the bike shop who will be doing the work?

Who will be deciding the exact components to be used?

Who will be supplying them?

I'd want to be very clear about these before doing anything like this. The way that you approach these will determine the responsibility for sorting it out if it any of it doesn't work well. This wonderfully helpful forum not having spotted a problem isn't a guarantee of success!

Jonathan
Hello Jonathan

Not yet. He's been on holiday.

Me under the advice the bike mechanic.

Me.

Fair enough but in any case the advice I get here is appreciated, and if (knock on wood) things don't work out I will either keep the bike, maybe changing to a different dual crank, or re-sell it.
Last edited by skylined on 8 Aug 2022, 11:32am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
531colin

Post by 531colin »

from the picture it looks to me like the chainstay cranks out immediately behind the existing 36T chainring.
Are you certain it doesn't?