Best long distance saddle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
geocycle

Re: Best long distance saddle

Post by geocycle »

I agree with all of the sensible comments above. The only things perhaps to add is that seat position and angle is really important especially on slippy saddle surfaces.

The other is the shorts and even weather. As others have said we are all different so you are reliant on anecdotes as much as science here. I used standard Lycra shorts for a year or so, but got really bad sores in hot weather or when wet. So I jettisoned the Lycra and now exclusively use baggy shorts, normal underwear with no padding on a brooks b17. I’ve never had a problem since. While I’d not recommend this as a short term solution in your situation, I mention it to illustrate the importance of ventilation, cooling, hygiene and general fit. If I do get a bit sore I reach for the sudocrem.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Mick F wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 7:04pm
Vetus Ossa wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 6:02pm Bottom line, try as many as you can…good luck.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nicely put!

BTW, I remember meeting you on Gem Bridge some years back.
:wink:
I remember Mick.
Been through Tavi and Calstock a few times, always look out for you.
Beauty will save the world.
toontra

Post by toontra »

I've moved from a Brooks Swift to a Selle Italia Novus Superflow Endurance recently. Considerably lighter (even though the Brooks had titanium rails) but the main issue was perennial preservation when on aero bars (the Brooks nose is just the wrong shape :wink: ), plus zero maintenance and not having to carry a saddle cover for rain. Used on multi-day audaxes with zero problems. Just the right balance of cushioning and stiffness for me.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Saddles - you can discuss them with a hundred people and get 100 different views!

Comfort on a long ride is always an issue, the saddle that was comfortable riding around the block will feel like a rip saw after 50 miles! There is no simple answer but one thing you should avoid are big cushions - see above. And try to avoid lumping tiredness with comfort - if you don't do the distance regularly even the saddle that you love can turn into a nightmare. Personally I can't abide Brooks, don't work for me, likewise the saddles i use would be torture for others, this is the current saddle on my endurance bike,

IMG_20140403_140053.jpg
IMG_20140403_140159.jpg

Its a Selle Italia SLR Titanium which looks quite extreme but is plenty comfortable if you have the right pad in your shorts. My other bikes have saddles of a similar shape and padding level, all have and are used on day rides of 8 hours plus and indeed on repeated long days, i tire before saddle comfort becomes an issue.

The Charge Spoon is a good starting point, a nice shape, reasonable padding level and cheap. But no saddle will be a fast fix and bike fit is as important as the right shape saddle in getting you comfortable, indeed changing the saddle would be below fit and pad on my list of saddle comfort fixes.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 4:33pm Worst saddle I ever had was (I think) a Selle Italia SLR XC - now that really was like sitting on a razor blade.
See I've got one of the original SLR saddles on an old road bike - had it since new - and in spite of it looking like a razor blade and weighing well under 200g, it's is unbelievably comfy. Done many multi-day tours and races on it.

Just goes to show we're all different and what suits one person may be agony for another.

For what it's worth, I've got different saddles on all my bikes, there's little consistency between them other than most are either Flite or Specialized. Back when I was racing MTB, all my mountain bikes had the iconic Flite Titanium on them.

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

rareposter wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 9:33pm

For what it's worth, I've got different saddles on all my bikes, there's little consistency between them
they will surely be very similar in the sit-bone spread they are suited for though?
Sweep
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

As said, you're going to get a million different tales of woe and glee when it comes to finding the right saddle. It's as personal as personal can get in the world of cycling parts.
I went through 6 or 7 different saddles before finding my current and it hasn't half cost a small fortune to find that comfort.
You might be lucky in finding your next saddle to be 'the one'. It's not unusual.
You may already know this but as said, aswell as finding the right saddle, it's positioning on the bike can turn the most comfy saddle in the world into a torture device. Get your saddle height, angle and fore and aft position dialed in first before spending on a new one. It can make all the difference.
And ignore 'recommendations'.
The Charge Spoon loved by near everyone was the most excruciatingly painful thing I ever had the misfortune to sit on.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mig

Post by mig »

20 years ago i worked in an office in Manchester visited daily by a Fedex driver - nice bloke, ex-army. He signed up for the Manchester-Blackpool ride and duly came looking for sponsorship and a little advice (as I was seen as the 'bike guy' through commuting everyday.) I asked what he was riding and how familiar he was with the bike and he assured me he'd thought about that and had the "comfiest seat" available on his bike and he'd be okay on the day.

He returned to work on the Thursday after three days lying (presumably on his front) on the sofa vowing 'never again.'
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Vetus Ossa wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 7:38pm
Mick F wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 7:04pm
Vetus Ossa wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 6:02pm Bottom line, try as many as you can…good luck.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nicely put!

BTW, I remember meeting you on Gem Bridge some years back.
:wink:
I remember Mick.
Been through Tavi and Calstock a few times, always look out for you.
:D :D

Plan is for me tomorrow is to ride via Callington and Amy Tree via Blunts and Tideford to work my way via Narkurs and Daviock to Seaton, then along the coast to Antony and Torpoint to cross over the Torpoint Ferry through Devonport to Wetherspoons on Union St and then to the station for the 14:28 back to Gunnislake, then freewheel to The Rising Sun, then home. :D :D

30odd mile ride on Mercian sitting on a Brooks Professional. Hard as nails and utterly perfectly comfortable.
Mick F. Cornwall
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

It might help if the OP showed the whole bike and said how upright or leaning they prefer to ride.

I have a Charge Spoon, not my favourite. I prefered the SDG Bel-Air, which is an inexpensive classic. It was easier to move around on and use different areas of the saddle during a long ride. Concave saddles lock you in to one position. But I now much prefer to be 'bent!!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There are loads of threads on here about sore bums (one of these days I will index them :oops: ). If you search on 'saddle sore' or similar, you will find loads of advice. You haven't said whether the soreness was bruising or chafing. The cure might be different for different problems. Not everyone get on with padded shorts, but if you use them, make sure they are clean, and don't use them with underwear. After that,

1) your bum needs to get used to the saddle and vice versa. If you're pushing your normal distance, that might be the only problem
2) Saddle position is crucial
Make sure that your sit bones are the primary contact between you and the saddle at all times: If other places are in hard contact with the saddle, see if you can adjust the saddle by titling it a little up or down, or moving it a little down or up, forwards or back and solve the problem.
Make only one change at a time, and mark the position on the rails, so that you can change it back if you make it worse. Have a look at 531colin's bike fit guide https://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/up ... -2017a.pdf
If adjustments do not solve the problem
3) Saddles and bums both come in a wide variety of shapes
It's entirely possible that your saddle and bum are not entirely compatible. If this is the problem, be prepared to try a number of different saddles before you find one that suits. This process and the eventual solution are very individual, so one person's cure may not be yours. I think that the saddles where they have you sit on a fitting mat (Specialized, Bontrager) have a slightly better chance of working than taking other people's recommendations.

Specifically regarding gel saddles, I will say that it is is personal. I like Serfas saddles, but generally experienced cyclists tend to prefer unpadded saddles.

The last thing is that I generally think it is better to solve the issues causing soreness, rather than using creams or lotions. Although creams or lotions can aid healing once you are sore.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
freiston

Post by freiston »

Vantage wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 9:20am The Charge Spoon loved by near everyone was the most excruciatingly painful thing I ever had the misfortune to sit on.
The good thing about the Charge Spoon is that it is cheap and works for many therefore it makes a sensible starting point - if it works then good, sorted for a fifth the price of a basic B17, but if it doesn't then not a lot of money down the plughole (Spa currently doing their own-branded Navigator version for £18. Other outlets doing the Passport branded Navigator for £25-26).
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Jamesh wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 12:10pm
iandriver wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 11:41am
RobinS wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 9:56am It's different for everyone, but I have found that a Charge Spoon is great for me (and also has the benefit of not being very expensive). Also once I discovered this, I made sure that I had them on all my bikes, so my bum doesn't get used to something else MTBing, then has to readjust for the tourer.
+1 for the Charge Spoon. The go to low cost saddle when trying this sort of experiment.
I think charge saddles are now fabric saddles and the spoon is very much like the radius.

Cheers James
if you want the spoon shape then its the fabric scoop radius , i changed from narrow flat saddles to a more curved shape a couple of years ago as i used to get saddle sores on longer rides and that saddle fixed it for me.You can still get the spoon new on ebay etc .
As others have said saddles are a personal thing so its hard to give a definitive answer although bike fit can be a factor too as incorrect height/fore aft position and tilt can also affect comfort , as well as shape i also dropped my saddle 5 mm as it seems i have shrunk !
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ive butted out of this thread so far ( pun intended) because if I could market the perfect long distance saddle I’d be a millionaire there’s no such one thing that fits all.
So many points are valid and like many of you we’ve learnt them through a lot of miles and experimentation.
I think the one thing I argue with is padded shorts. I’ve been in and out of love with them over the years. Currently out of love and preferring cotton underwear and a good dose of fresh air. What are they there for? They don’t magically reduce your weight on the saddle. Maybe they soak up a bit of sweat for some but IME they can narrow the distance between your thighs. I’m saying this having ridden 110 mls over the last 3days without any hint of soreness.
The one thing I will suggest and I don’t think anyone has is take your shorts off. Yes in the privacy of your turbo trainer or a quiet lane. I use the latter :lol: Look down and see how your flesh is interacting with the saddle. Use your fingers and have a feel as to where things are really contacting and work from there is my advice. Use that knowledge in conjunction with everything else you’ve just read on this subject.
You’ll discover then, if you don’t know, if you’re a pelvic tilter or a back bender.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
RickH

Post by RickH »

toontra wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 7:47pm I've moved from a Brooks Swift to a Selle Italia Novus Superflow Endurance recently. Considerably lighter (even though the Brooks had titanium rails) but the main issue was perennial preservation when on aero bars (the Brooks nose is just the wrong shape :wink: ), plus zero maintenance and not having to carry a saddle cover for rain. Used on multi-day audaxes with zero problems. Just the right balance of cushioning and stiffness for me.
I've been using the same Novus for the last couple of years (the narrower S3 version) on my main bike having broken a saddle rail on one of my SLR gel superflow (or something like that) saddles. I've found it to be a very comfortable seat. (I may even get another - either as a spare or to replace the SLR on the tandem & keep the SLR as the spare - as they seem to be one of few bike bits that are actually cheaper than a couple of years ago).

As has been said numerous times saddles are a personal choice. I originally got the first SLR in 2009 after I found that the saddle on a bike bought in 2008 was no longer comfortable towards the end of a 15 day LEJOG, despite it being comfortable up to that point, even riding 100+ miles. I think my derriere had changed as I got fitter as I got back into cycling after a few years break (& having done some running, eventually up to a full marathon, towards the end of the cycling break).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.