Camping Municipal

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
The Grange Gardener

Camping Municipal

Post by The Grange Gardener »

I'm considering doing La Velo Francette in September and will possibly want to use some Camping Municipal sites on my way. Does any one have any experience of these as to their facilities for e bikes and charging points and how late in the year they stay open?

Many thanks
Jdsk

Re: Camping Municipal

Post by Jdsk »

There was something recently in another thread about dates and how opening hours have changed:
viewtopic.php?p=1707780&#p1707780

But we've used ones that aren't open...

Jonathan
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

http://www.camping-municipal.org/

My experience is that many don't operate past the first week of September, or once the french school holidays finish.
ossie

Post by ossie »

The Grange Gardener wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 7:24pm I'm considering doing La Velo Francette in September and will possibly want to use some Camping Municipal sites on my way. Does any one have any experience of these as to their facilities for e bikes and charging points and how late in the year they stay open?

Many thanks
Some / many don't have charging facilities so research is probably needed regarding those that do, how you do that may be difficult but the Archies camping app with a link to the site is a decent start. Opening wise you should be fine for the first week or so of September but then they simply close on a whim as and when, its a complete lottery. Some are extremely organised many aren't . You can still use some closed, they often leave a cold water tap available but that's about it :wink:

I think If I depended on a nightly charge I'd plan and have the guarantee that the site was open with the necessary charging facilities. Best of luck !
PH

Post by PH »

Alternative would be to take a fast charger and enjoy a long lunch somewhere you could charge. The Bosch FC takes three hours to fully charge a 500wh battery, but it's only an hour to 50%.
The Grange Gardener

Post by The Grange Gardener »

Many thanks for your suggestion - my bike has 2 x 500wh batteries and a Bosch FC so it looks like a very long lunch!
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

Most Municipal sites in France (along with most other sites) have electric hookups, as caravans/motorhomes etc generally need them. When you arrive you might need to pay a bit extra, but just ask for hookup and use one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CEE-Plug-Adapt ... 7771&psc=1

Remember as well, you will also need an adaptor to use your charger in Euro sockets from time to time. Definitely need the ability to charge from both european and UK sockets, as if there happens to be a british caravanner/motorhomer on site they would probably charge the batteries from their supply, and they will have UK sockets in the van.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

Oh, and the best place to look for campsites for France is https://www.campingfrance.com/uk It lists all sites in France, with opening dates. I wouldn't restrict yourself to just municipals, as many of those have closed over recent years, or been sold off and are now operated privately. While privately operated sites are usually slightly more expensive, there are still lots of good cheap sites around.
(especially for cyclists).