SRam NX 12 speed....on Sirrus X4.0...any good or low end compromise?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Slothman

SRam NX 12 speed....on Sirrus X4.0...any good or low end compromise?

Post by Slothman »

I've been looking at Specialized Sirrus bikes lately, may as well, as nothing is available anyway.
I like the idea of the 'Future Shock' on the stem and the top bar slope gives a decent stand-over height (in the S).
However, Specislized seem to offer pretty poor specificaiton for the money compared to many other brands.
For example, the Sirrus 4.0, which has an RRP of £1,599 (and is the second highest Sirrus spec) comes with a Shimano Sora rear derailleur!
Everything else is OK (Teckto HD R289 hydraulic discs). Seems strange having a low end gear set on a bike of that price?

The X4.0 is more of a gravel set up and has different tyres and a SRam NX 11 speed gear set. I like the idea of a simpler,single gear set, but would rather have 12 speed than 11. However, the main gripe is that the NX has fairly poor to mediocre reviews and is accepted as the second lowest set in the SRam stable.
Otherwise the same as the 4.0 other than the brakesare HD R510's instead of R289's.
The X4.0 retails at £1,499, so a little less (strangely?)
The X5.0 is a carbon frame and Shimano SLX 12 speed gear set, so much better....but much more money to at over £2k.

Would you pay around £1,500 for a bike with low end gear sets?
For a lot less I can get a Giant Fastroad SL1 with Shimano 105 or for about the same a Cube SL Road SL with ultegra?
Is the Sirrus really worth sacrificing the general spec just for the frame?

Is the SRam NX 11 speed any good or a low end compromise too far?
Slothman

Re: SRam NX 12 speed....on Sirrus X4.0...any good or low end compromise?

Post by Slothman »

Also, Would you place any value and thus flavour your decision on the 'Future Shock' system on the Sirrus?
i.e. vs the Giant Fastroad Or others, which don't have it?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

If you want spez then you pay spez prices same with Cannondale, cervelo, pinerello etc.

If you want value look at giant, merrida, canyon, Ribble boardman etc.

I don't think the frame will be anything special tbh.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/compo ... on-review/

Review here looks ok. Not top end but not proverty spec.

I'd be looking for carbon at that price point!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Slothman wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 8:38pm Also, Would you place any value and thus flavour your decision on the 'Future Shock' system on the Sirrus?
Its something I would avoid.
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

531colin wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 11:30am
Slothman wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 8:38pm Also, Would you place any value and thus flavour your decision on the 'Future Shock' system on the Sirrus?
Its something I would avoid.
Thanks, can I ask why? Have you experience of it?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Short answer; its a very complex solution to a problem which doesn't exist.
In the past, we had flex-stem; zertz inserts; isospeed uncouplers; redshift stems ....all competing to solve a non-existent problem.

long answer; We were in Greece to do some cycling; a "new cyclist" with a Spesh. couldn't get it back together having un-boxed it. I helped her get it back together, and found the headset so tight that it "indexed" at straight ahead. Apparently it had been back to the "Concept store" for a product recall and some genius there had set it up like that.....she didn't know any better. Somebody googled it and we found out how to back off the headset bearing preload. ....it still "indexed" but not so bad....I guess the races must have dented.
Have a google, look at how many bits are in there.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Specialized will have a new model Future Shock II out soon enough,
it will be 27g lighter, 13.2% more compliant. This is the way with all Specialized stuff.
And the new bits won't fit the old one you are about to buy.

If you want to try a front suspension, try the Redshift, easy to replace
and sell on. It does work, 1 moving part, compared to the Futureless Shock
which has way too many.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Slothman wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 8:27pmIs the SRam NX 11 speed any good or a low end compromise too far?
This is a useless answer in that I've got no personal experience of the NX, other than a few test rides on mates' bikes, but I do have a posh (XT/SLX) Shimano 12-speed system on a mountain bike, so I've got opinions... I went for the highest-spec bike because it had the microspline hub and 12-speed SLX cassette which, according to the reviews, worked much more smoothly with the mech/chain than the 11-speed SRAM hub/cassette on lower-spec bikes. However, the smooth shifting and wider range of gearing wouldn't, on their own, be enough to convince me to go with a 12-speed 1x system, especially when you take into account the terrible chain-line with all it's problems of increased wear and unwanted shifting when back-pedalling. The reasons I have bought a bike with such a system are:

1. The bike is effectively a toy. I'm not touring or utility-biking on it, and I'm prepared to pay the eye-watering cost of spares when required.
2. Like most modern mountain bike frames, you would find it difficult fitting a front derailleur to it - the suspension pivot occupies that space.
3. Like most modern mountain bikes, I use a dropper post. It's easier to mount the lever (on your left bar) if you don't have a front shifter.

That's it. So with a hardtail like yours, without a dropper, I would prefer a 3x system. Which doesn't really help you with your decision about upgrading to 12 speed, other than that I would avoid paying silly money for that upgrade as I think you'll find the end-result sub-optimal regardless.
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

I must admit to toying with the costs to replace the 11 speed NX on the Sirrus X4.0, for a 12 speed SLX or even Deore?
Or even to do the same with the 10 speed Sora set up on the Sirrus 4.0, replacing it with a 105?
I'd only do that if the bike shop would keep the removed mechs and off-set some of the costs? Unlikely I'd say.