Fish

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Fish

Post by Mick F »

Walking Salior the doggie Border Collie this afternoon along the Cornish bank of the River Tamar, I saw these fishy things.
Seen them before over the months/years, but only in good sunny weather.

What fishes are they?
Fresh water above the weir and non-tidal.
Just here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52144 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Photo.
Zoom in to get a closer view.
IMG_1439.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Re: Fish

Post by rjb »

Dog fish coming to say hello. Either that or fish fingers. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Look like basking bream to me.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Chub are often up at the surface in warm weather. About the right size, quite a large shoal though.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I wondered too, and the angle is too shallow to see their depth of body, but I thought the tails looked too forked for chub
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chub eh?
Thanks. :D

Often see them in the summer sunshine. Tried to get a decent photo on many an occasion, but I came up trumps this time.

A week or two back, I was watching them, and a big gull swooped down over them. There wasn't 'arf a lot of splashing as they all panicked and disappeared deep and out of sight. Gull flew off empty handed ........ or is it empty beaked? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
rich.hr6

Post by rich.hr6 »

Dorsal fin looks a bit "grayling-ish" to me, but not sure if they live that close to salt water though.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

rich.hr6 wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 3:19pm Dorsal fin looks a bit "grayling-ish" to me, but not sure if they live that close to salt water though.
Not a chance of grayling, I'd say - way too low down the river, and they don't bask like that.

Mick, take a bread crust in your pocket and lob a few bits in and watch. Huge mouth and white lips - Charlie Chub. Smaller mouths, dark lips, Brian Bream.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol:
Me and Sailor were along the river bank again today.
Nice and shady and not too hot down there and ok for doggie walking.

Saw two shoals of the same breed. The river is maybe 80yds+ wide there, and they were mid-river. I couldn't even chuck a stone that far, let alone a crust of bread.

The longer of the fish was maybe 18" long. Difficult to judge due to the aspect and distance, but I reckon I'm about right.
They look quite slim too, and a bit "pointy" in shape.
Mick F. Cornwall
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Dog biscuits are a popular surface bait. Knock up a catapult. Just watch the dog doesn't go flying in after them.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Bonefishblues wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 9:12pm I wondered too, and the angle is too shallow to see their depth of body, but I thought the tails looked too forked for chub
Agreed can't 100% tell at that range and angle. They looked too slim for bream at first look, but it could well be the picture.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

iandriver wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 8:32pm Chub are often up at the surface in warm weather. About the right size, quite a large shoal though.
I'll second that,the shape's about right too for Chub
Not Bream,not deep enough in the body which would show up in a photo like that one
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

It's not the greatest photo but I think they may well be Grey Mullet.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I was thinking that but its not salt water. At Budleigh Salterton there are literally thousands in the brook.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Not mullet, they have 2 fins on top and a tail with sharp ends.

Not confined to saltwater btw, quite happy up in fresh too.