What colour should my new bike be?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mattsccm

Re: What colour should my new bike be?

Post by mattsccm »

Cherry red.
The only acceptable black on a bike is tyre tread and brake blocks.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Cugel wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 4:53pm Sussex-teasing, I was, only.

On the other hand, you've got to admit that there's an awful lot of cycling stuff made and bought primarily for promenading on. Even some of the retro thing can be as much about the look as about the technical history, ride-feel or other more cycling-centred motives for making a handsome bike-steed of the kind we all rode about on in yesteryear.

I'll admit that I personally have a terrible tendency to go about in 60s and 70s cycling garb as worn by racy folk of that era (no greenspot, mind!) rather than the stuff seen on most cyclists aboard a modern bike. All my bikes are modern or current designs, though, as I sold the now-retros a couple of decades ago as being far less functional, especially in the comforts. Proper clothing in winter, mind. The clothing then becomes purely functional, with not an emblem in sight.

Then again, as you say, why not get all the function you want in a bike then overlay some aesthetically-derived decoration? After all, it has to be one colour or another. Some paint schemes are, though .... well, imminently dated, let's say. I recall a fashion for bubblegum-pink and snot-greeny-yellow bike frames of some years ago, as well as those splatters of psychedelic mishmash like a Pollock gone wrong. (I suppose they're all wrong, really). Does anyone want one of those now? :-)

The last bespoke bike I had was built in 1981 - a pure road racing bike of 531SL painted in a mix of greys like those employed by battleships. I fancied I'b be less noticeable jumping some breakaway group. It never worked, though. Since then the colours have been whatever was on the best off the peg bike for my purpose that I could find with a hefty discount on the price. Pay for a "special" colour!? As if!

Cugel, probably a groat-counter.
Yeah, I'll go along with that :) .

My personal admission is that I tend to not dress "like a cyclist" but I am dressed for cycling - no cycling jerseys or lycra shorts - but my trousers are Endura Firefly cycling trousers and my shoes are SPD, I have a quilted gilet that looks more farmer than cyclist but I do occasionally wear Tudor York tights and I swear by my bright yellow Carradice Pro-Route cape for riding in the rain (and I have it strapped/resting on top of a little home-made saddle bag - quite the fashion statement!).

My touring bike is modern but has drawn comments. I've been on a few group rides with beginners on "road bikes" who have considered my tourer to be old fashioned (it does have a near level top tube, mudguards & bar-end shifters and I have had to explain what the shifters are a few times).
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I don't think understand this thread. I like black, others don't. There is no "right" or "wrong" - it's personal taste. So how does me posting my personal taste help OP?

Maybe OP should scan through the "Pictures of Your Bike" thread and see what he/she likes rather than asking for other peoples favourites.

Ian
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Jamesh wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 11:32pm Mazda soul red lovely colour, hard to paint so I'm told.

I fancy rubbing down my Cannondale and painting it this colour!

https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/maz ... s/soulred/
It's just flam red. Soul Red Crystal is a bit more purple than the original Soul Red.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Maybe OP should scan through the "Pictures of Your Bike" thread and see what he/she likes rather than asking for other peoples favourites.
I learned long ago that some people reach personal conclusions by bouncing ideas around with lots of other people, while other people do all the bouncing of ideas around inside their own head, verbalising very little.

I’m in the latter camp, and I’ll confess that sometimes in pressured work circumstances I found interacting with people in the other camp really hard going (and incredibly time consuming). But, I annoyed them by being “a black box that sat silently until it popped an answer out”.

Neither approach is “right” or “wrong”, and the world probably needs some of each, otherwise natural selection woukd probably have eliminated one camp or the other.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

PH wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 7:55am
sussex cyclist wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 7:50pm A thread to show me your favourites.
Not much showing is there?
It turns out the conversation is of just as much interest as the colour, which of course I can decide for myself, but there's always the possibility that something unexpected will impact my brain.

While I do appreciate a beautiful (or just cleverly executed - scroll down) paint job, I'd probably just get precious about scratching it. I even thought, not very seriously, about commissioning an artist to make it look like a rusting wreck. I'm sure that's been done.

Someone asked about the groupset. Here are the cranks:

What can I say, he wanted in the picture

But the brake calipers are black. Oh no.
freiston

Post by freiston »

sussex cyclist wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 9:22am
While I do appreciate a beautiful (or just cleverly executed - scroll down) paint job, I'd probably just get precious about scratching it. I even thought, not very seriously, about commissioning an artist to make it look like a rusting wreck. I'm sure that's been done.

Someone asked about the groupset. Here are the cranks:

https://i.imgur.com/IHYpw4A.jpg
What can I say, he wanted in the picture

But the brake calipers are black. Oh no.
The first paint job in your link is vaguely similar to mine - mine is a metallic black that, in the right light and at the right angle, looks dark metallic bronze.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Red, and all the other bits will be shiny ................ and no black except for tyres and brake blocks!

Boring Black seems to be the fashion these days!
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

sussex cyclist wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 9:22am I even thought, not very seriously, about commissioning an artist to make it look like a rusting wreck. I'm sure that's been done.

Save your money and do it yourself. Vintage rust effect spray can
https://www.floristik24.co.uk/spray-vin ... vqEALw_wcB
Nu-Fogey
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

How about white, then in very tiny black script, all over the frame, the names of all the places you’ve ever cycled to, then varnish it.

Then, if you are a cycle-camper, you could do a Tracey Emin with your tent.
mail@nickavery.com

Post by mail@nickavery.com »

Boring black with minimal branding. Marginal gains in the bike theft avoidance game. I'm a cyclist, not an advertising hording.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

In regards to scratches- if the new paint on the scratch has to, completely, no matter what, match the rest of the frame colour - then look at the colours in the humbrol or revell ranges - it should mean that the paint in the little 'tinlets' and the larger tins should match your original paint - provided you bought the tin with the right number on it :-D
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side