Lowestoft - Ardnamurchan: anyone done the full east-west?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Brianjeff50

Lowestoft - Ardnamurchan: anyone done the full east-west?

Post by Brianjeff50 »

After doing an E2E a couple of years ago I’m now contemplating a Side to Side. For one thing Lowestoft Ness is a lot easier for a Suffolk dweller to reach than LE.
Anyone done all or part of it? The romantic in me would like to start at sunrise on the east and finish ten-ish days later watching sunset at the lighthouse.
That last bit might throw up a few logistical issues as I tend to prefer sleeping in a bed to a tent!
Tigerbiten

Re: Lowestoft - Ardnamurchan: anyone done the full east-west?

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've done it twice.
The first time was direct as I did all 4 cardinals on one of my trips north from LE to JOG.
The second time was more indirect as I was following the coast around the UK starting/finishing in King's Lynn.

Luck .......... :D
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

It sounds like a wonderful idea, and I recognise the feeling of wishing to start at your own home and heading to somewhere completely new, rather than going in the opposite direction, which in terms of dominant winds would be more practical.

If you don't want to camp, you might be better extending your journey, so that when you arrive at Ardnamurchan, you continue over to Mull from Kilchoan to Tobermory and make your aim Iona, where you will find more opportunities to stay in a bed. From memory there are very few places to stay on the Ardnamurchan peninsula (when I rode around the coast i stayed in a bunkhouse just off the peninsula heading north, I didn't find anywhere else closer). Although Ardnamurchan is the most westerly point of the mainland, it does look out onto a lot of islands, whereas when you get to Iona you are looking out towards the ocean.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Done it both ways as a single ride and once as a compass point End to End.

If you are camping spend a night wild camping at Ardnamuchan lighthouse, there are some nice pitches by the old coastguard cottages. Get there before 5.30pm and you can get water and a wash in the visitors centre. Don't panic if you hear something like a pack of dogs barking in the night, it will be seals on the beach below. It has fooled many me included.

The road from Salen to Kilchoan along the loch and over the pass, is one of my favourite rides.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Ooh, now there's an idea! I like that far more than LEJOG. Is there a recommdended route?
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Slowroad wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 8:44pm Ooh, now there's an idea! I like that far more than LEJOG. Is there a recommdended route?
I doubt it.

I suspect the most important bit to decide on first is whether to head up the east side of Scotland and then across, or to head across Galloway and make for either Arran-Kintyre or to Bute-Cowal and make your way north from either of them.
PH

Post by PH »

The OP has already read this when they asked me elsewhere, but for anyone else that's interested -
Don't underestimate it, my first attempt failed, I was a full day behind my schedule at Appleby and knackered! Did it six months later with a better planned and less hilly route and was fine. I found both attempts harder than my E2E, simple going against the grain in every hilly area. I camped, a mix of on and off site, so I wasn't committed to a daily mileage or to route via places with accommodation. So it might be different if looking for fixed accommodation, I was also collecting BCQ points along the way, but can't remember how many or how big an influence that had on the route, I don't think much, it looks pretty direct.
I went through Glasgow, which is fine though though the obvious route then commits you to the A82 which if you haven't ridden it is spectacular, really other worldly, but also incredibly busy, with poor passing places. I'm glad I've ridden it, but probably won't do so again.
For the return, the obvious one is to drop on to Mull and back to Oban for a train. I wished I'd allowed an extra day or two, instead of doing it in a few hours.
Rough route here, it isn't road by road accurate, but it isn't far out

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/351477
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

A friend and I did this in 2011, staying in B&Bs and similar. As we were (and are) as interested in beer as in cycling we had a leisurely route with a couple of days off, and mostly used the Good Beer Guide to plan our meal breaks and overnight accommodation. But the basic route would work pretty well even if you're not into beer:
Day 1: Train to Ipswich, cycle to Lowestoft Ness (75km), then to Norwich (45km)
Day 2: Explore Norwich
Day 3: To Lincoln (180km - longest day, though very flat)
Day 4: To York (120 km)
Day 5: Explore York
Day 6: To Durham (110 km)
Day 7: Exploring Durham until afternoon, then to Corbridge (45 km)
Day 8: To Kelso (90 km) (Special mention for Cobbles bar/restaurant, for beer and good food - not cheap but good value - and, I'm assured, still going strong in 2022)
Day 9: To Stirling via outskirts of Edinburgh, part of Union Canal towpath, and Falkirk (135 km) (We didn't do it on this occasion, but if you have time in Falkirk, the Falkirk Wheel and the Kelpies are both well worth visiting - Google if you don't know what they are.)
Day 10: To Glencoe (130 km)
Day 11: To Ardnamurchan point via Corran ferry (95km, quite hilly), then back to Kilchoan (10km).
There is/was a hotel in Kilchoan (and maybe other accommodation) so you could check in on the way west, watch the sunset, then return to Kilchoan. What we did was take the evening ferry from Kilchoan to Tobermory, had a couple of days on Mull, then ferry to Oban and trains from there.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

If it is of help or interest to anyone this is a write up of my first East to West I wrote it for a club newsletter. http://www.bikepacker.co.uk/reports/e2w.htm
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had considered Lowestoft to St Davids as the widest part below Scotland.

We lived in Scotland as a family a couple of times, and latterly went to Ardnamurchan on a camping trip.
Wild and desolate place, and the furthest westerly point on the British Isles mainland. If my facts are correct, 60miles further west than Lands End.

Rockall is 7.5deg West and is the furthest westerly point of the British Isles ............ but rather difficult to cycle to! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 7:58pmRockall is 7.5deg West...
Rockall is 13.7° W.

Jonathan
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I had considered Lowestoft to St Davids as the widest part below Scotland
Funnily enough and somewhat off topic this reminded me of an article in the Motorcycle (was that the Blue Un or the Green Un) in the 60s where the rider watched the sun rise in Lowestoft and attempted to see it set in St David's. I think he made it but it would be nearly 60 years ago!!!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Slowroad wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 8:44pm Ooh, now there's an idea! I like that far more than LEJOG. Is there a recommdended route?
Yes, it gives you some great countryside, and avoids all the less desirable LEJOG sections! A friend rode it in about a week and loved it.
She followed the Audax route: https://audax.uk/event-details/108
... but didn't bother to ride it in the 75h limit required for a badge :D

Love the idea of extending to Tobermory/Iona. Haven/t been to Iona, but the road down to the Tobermory ferry is *exquisite* - like being on another, nicer planet!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Slowroad wrote: ↑14 Aug 2022, 8:44pm
Ooh, now there's an idea! I like that far more than LEJOG. Is there a recommdended route?

Yes, it gives you some great countryside, and avoids all the less desirable LEJOG sections! A friend rode it in about a week and loved it.
1000k! Would take me at least 2 weeks! Thanks, couldn't see a map though.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Slowroad wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 5:47pm
Slowroad wrote: ↑14 Aug 2022, 8:44pm

1000k! Would take me at least 2 weeks! Thanks, couldn't see a map though.
If you pay the (very small) entry fee, the guy who created it will send you details (probably inc. a routesheet).