Wiping Down A Wet Tent To Help It Dry - Bad idea?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Psamathe

Wiping Down A Wet Tent To Help It Dry - Bad idea?

Post by Psamathe »

Each morning I've been wiping down my Hilliberg Rogen with a J-Cloth to get a lot of the condensation off so it dries quickly so I can pack it dry and depart (both inner & outer surfaces of the fly; inner does not get wet).

But yesterday another person at the campsite said "Bad idea" as you'll damage the coating. Not knowing their experience or knowledge I ignored the advice thinking Hillibergs are built tough not fragile.

But was he right? Will a gentle wipe of the outer (both inner & outer sides) with J-Cloth on a daily basis cause problems? (Or just somebody wanting to tell others what to do?)

Thanks
Ian
bikepacker

Re: Wiping Down A Wet Tent To Help It Dry - Bad Iade?

Post by bikepacker »

It is something I have always done and none of my tents have ever appeared to deteriorate as a result.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've always taken a more pragmatic approach with my silicon-coated tents. In the event that the tent's wet, I'll simply pack it away, after a quick flick to get the worst off, which given the technology, works well.
There are two exceptions: first, if it's looking like a hot day and I'm not in a rush, I might wait until the tent's dried off - mainly 'cos of the weight benefit more than any reservation about packing it wet. Second, fairly obviously, when I get home, the tent comes out for a visual check and a drying out. That mo seems to have served me pretty well since forever (or at least, since silicone coated fabrics arrived). Not noticed any damage to any of the tents' elements yet.
And I've also got into the habit of swapping the supplied stuff sack for a light-weight dry-bag, with compression straps so that even if it is soaking wet, it keeps itself to itself.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Does the wet not bead and shake off? doesn't your wiping actually make it worse by pushing the H2O into the material?

I've only ever removed excess wet from the ground sheet and then only rarely, it usually dries very quickly on its own.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

foxyrider wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 5:53pm Does the wet not bead and shake off? doesn't your wiping actually make it worse by pushing the H2O into the material?

I've only ever removed excess wet from the ground sheet and then only rarely, it usually dries very quickly on its own.
Some does ( I do shake it first) but after that it's still pretty wet (from the amount I wring out of the J-Cloth). It's like a film on the inner surface, I wipe the outer so the early morning Sun's heat can have maximum impact as quickly as possible. Note that the Hilliberg Rogen is normally put up/taken down with fly and inner attached to each other - more hassle to separate them. Shaking does not get that much iff and quite a bit ends up on the inner.
It certainly dries a lot lot quicker after being wiped off.
Ian
PH

Post by PH »

What's the difference between a J-cloth gently wiped across it and the contact it has with another part of the fly as you roll/fold/stuff it away?
I'll sometimes wipe some off, but usually don't bother, a quick shake as I stuff it in the sack and if I stop somewhere sunny for breakfast or lunch I might get it out to air.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Dealing With Condensation

Use a Rag

Simply wiping off the condensation from inside the tent can often prevent your gear from getting dripped upon, and it can help stop condensation from continuing to happen.
From https://hilleberg.com/eng/using-your-te ... tionsBlock.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I've always done it whenever it seemed helpful, with no apparent damage so far (Akto)
Trying to shake off the condensation/dew always gets quite a bit on the inner, so I generally don't.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I'm a whipper.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
boblo

Post by boblo »

Do both - shake and wipe, the Police won't be turning up...

I use a Laser Comp which is terrible for condensation. I wipe down the inside every morning first chore before brekkie. Saves weight and stops the inner getting wet when packed away.

No damage over many years (I did the same with a Spacepacker before).
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

We usually give it a good shake, if it is well proofed 90% of the water will shake off, and when you put it up the next night it dries pretty quickly. That said, I can't imagine wiping would do any harm - we just don't bother!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I give mine a good shake, then wipe it down. I've done so for years & not noticed any problems.

I think wiping it down is better than packing it wet.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pjclinch

Re: Wiping Down A Wet Tent To Help It Dry - Bad idea?

Post by pjclinch »

Psamathe wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 5:03pm Each morning I've been wiping down my Hilliberg Rogen with a J-Cloth to get a lot of the condensation off so it dries quickly so I can pack it dry and depart (both inner & outer surfaces of the fly; inner does not get wet).

But yesterday another person at the campsite said "Bad idea" as you'll damage the coating. Not knowing their experience or knowledge I ignored the advice thinking Hillibergs are built tough not fragile.

But was he right? Will a gentle wipe of the outer (both inner & outer sides) with J-Cloth on a daily basis cause problems? (Or just somebody wanting to tell others what to do?)
I think it's already been pretty thoroughly answered, but just to add that having been using silicone elastomer coated flys since the late 1980s this is the first time I've ever come across that particular idea. Which for something which seems like it would be a fundamental flaw seems a bit odd to be such Hidden Knowledge!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
PH

Post by PH »

pjclinch wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 1:18pm the first time I've ever come across that particular idea. Which for something which seems like it would be a fundamental flaw seems a bit odd to be such Hidden Knowledge!
Pete.
I'm also somewhat amused that someone would come up to you on a campsite and tell you!
Sounds like the " You Don't Wanna Do It Like That " character from a Harry Enfield sketch show.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PH wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 1:47pm
pjclinch wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 1:18pm the first time I've ever come across that particular idea. Which for something which seems like it would be a fundamental flaw seems a bit odd to be such Hidden Knowledge!
Pete.
I'm also somewhat amused that someone would come up to you on a campsite and tell you!
Sounds like the " You Don't Wanna Do It Like That " character from a Harry Enfield sketch show.
My thought as well but I have no expertise and had no idea of any expertise the guy had, hence asking here.

Thanks to everyone for answers. I'll keep wiping down without any nagging concerns.

Ian