Deviock Cornwall?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Deviock Cornwall?

Post by Mick F »

Roger (of this forum called in for the tyres I was giving away) came round here and showed me a place-mat and gave me a print-out of it, and suggested that as I've been "Everywhere" in Cornwall, I would have been there.

I couldn't "place" it, but looked it up and rode there on Wednesday last week.

One, there isn't a river in Deviock. I knew that!
Two, there isn't a bridge. I knew that too!
Three, there isn't a church. I also knew that!
Four, it doesn't look like a Cornish church ................... and I've been to all 226 of them! :D
Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 17.25.07.png
So, if it isn't in Deviock, and I checked the maps and looked at all the rivers, and found all the churches.
There ain't a church like that, near a river, near a bridge, in Cornwall.

So ............ where is it?
Is it a fictitious and stylised romanticised drawing?
Deviock or not.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Jon Lucas

Re: Deviock Cornwall?

Post by Jon Lucas »

No idea, but that doesn't look like anywhere in Cornwall to me!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exactly. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

DEVIOCK and Cornwall are written in different scripts. Look like 2 different titles.

The signature is a bit of a mess as well.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Deviock is a coastal civil parish in south-east Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. It is situated approximately three miles (5 km) west of St Germans and straddles the valley of the River Seaton /quote]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deviock
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wiki is wrong!
Cornwall isn't in England!
I'm a Lancastrian, but lived here for nearly 40years, but you try telling the Cornish that Cornwall is in England! :shock:

Seriously though, the Deviock picture isn't Deviock.

The other morning half asleep, thinking about this, I woke up thinking that it was spelled wrong. It should have been Daviot. Except that when I came to my senses, that Daviot is on the A9 just south of Inverness! :lol: :lol:

Cycled and driven through it a few times over the eons even before the New A9 was built.
Mick F. Cornwall
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

There is a church and a bridge at Hessenford, which is in Deviock parish. But it has the wrong spire (https://www.google.com/maps/@50.3927686 ... 312!8i6656) , and there are other buidings (including a pub) between it and the road. I suppose the A387 may have looked like that when the picture was 'sketched' - but at that time Hessenford wasn't in Deviock parish (according to Wikipedia)!
Chris F, Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cycled through Hessenford many times over the years.

I've scoured the OS map of Cornwall and studied the rivers looking for bridges next to churches .......... and I can't find one at all.

Hessenford.
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 09.05.54.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

What struck me about the picture, apart from it looking more like Hampshire than Cornwall, was the lack of hills. You just wouldn't see any view like that in Cornwall without large hills rising up immediately behind (that would certainly be the case in Hessenford).

My uneducated guess is that someone has cycled through Deviock, thought it was lovely, and got home and decided to try to sketch it from memory, getting some details wrong (such as the church) and missing out other details completely, such as intermediate buildings and hills.

Either that or they were completely lost, which wouldn't really make any sense at all.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I went through Deviock on Wednesday last week.
There's an old school there.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.37495 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
roger

Post by roger »

As the originator of this I can add a bit more.
The artist is Frank Patterson who some may know well.
It is his normal signature and dated 29.
It is part of a table mat set of four.
Whilst copying it in our local library our librarian said he had driven the “mobile” in the area for 13 years and had not seen it.
Later on in life Patterson copied from postcards. Some years ago the local paper published a collection of postcards recently sold at auction. The centre one was the bridge scene. No cyclist which was a typical Patterson addition.
I visited the the auctioneer with mat etc. and asked if they would put me in touch with the buyer.
They wanted to preserve client confidentially . I made various suggestions as to how this could be done but no success.
Whenever I see an opportunity I try it, will be interested to see what emerges.
Have a feeling some of you may be finding Patterson for the first time. Have fun.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

I have one of those Deviock table mats. Each participant at the CTC Centenary Dinner in London in 1978 received one of the Patterson mats as a souvenir, having used it during the meal.

Now I know it is not Deviock I am agog to know where it is.
rjb

Post by rjb »

This looks to be a case of "Artistic License". We need Inspector Clouseau on the case. :lol:
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (20.05 KiB) Viewed 478 times
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Chris Jeggo wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 2:41am I have one of those Deviock table mats. Each participant at the CTC Centenary Dinner in London in 1978 received one of the Patterson mats as a souvenir, having used it during the meal.
I have the set of 4 mats although I have never actually used them - they're far too nice for that!
The National Cycle Museum sells coasters with that same image on them, my tea mug is resting on one at this very moment!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

I wish I'd bought the set of four at the time!