Is there a market for an off the shelf steel light tourer?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Biospace

Re: Is there a market for an off the shelf steel light tourer?

Post by Biospace »

Cugel wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 9:17am There seems to be rather a lot of romanticism, nostalgia and other human emotions involved when judging bicycle types and materials. Perhaps these feelings exert themselves to such a degree that those feeling them have their more physical feelings altered as part of the experience?

Personally I've ridden many steel-frame bikes over more than six decades, from the inexpensive off-the-shelf through to the lovingly hand-made just for me and my purposes. The pinnacles were perhaps a handbuilt 531SL racing frame, which was certainly very good for that purpose; and a 531 Ribble touring frame that did thousands of happy miles across the northern Pennines and back. I've also ridden gas-pipers but also frames made of exotic Columbus tubing.

However, none of the steel framed bikes I've owned over nearly five decades came anywhere near the comfort of a modern CF frame of the properly designed & built kind I now use. Nowhere near.

Of course, I haven't ridden all steel framed bikes and there may be a magical build that can manage the comfort of a modern CF frame. For some reason, I'm sceptical. And so are my nether and hands. :-)

Not to say, either, that steel-framed bikes aren't fit for purpose. I did a lot of miles on those I owned and enjoyed (if that's the right term) every one of them, adapting myself to the bike and it's inherent discomforts. Still, why get romantic about a machine?

Cugel

Romanticism, nostalgia and other emotions aren't qualities engineers appraise when they compare works of engineering, if they choose not to. But yes, for many, they can be very important and are no less a reason to derive enjoyment from something than losing a kg or three with intelligent use of more expensive materials. More subtle psychologies can be more difficult to filter out than nostalgia in an honest appraisal, but plenty do, plenty don't.

I'd expect nothing less than supreme comfort from a modern CF bike well made and well tailored to the rider, costing several £thousands - better than anything steel. But lack of comfort with steel isn't a problem for most of us riding it, but I do admit it's the most under-rated quality of any bike used along even well-surfaced roads, let alone back roads of the North Pennines or Pembrokeshire. I envy your extra comfort, but also choose not to sacrifice the qualities I enjoy, for those you do.

If this means I'm a bit more tired or have travelled slightly less far, that's not a problem, for me. I value the properties of steel under a range of stresses and strains, its durability, the ability to easily braze on new fittings, the aesthetics of a trad English touring bike, even. I even actively relish the fact it's not almost new, but can cover distances very nearly as capably as something which is. Added together, this comes to more than a few hundred or thousand grams and even more comfort, for me and presumably for many of those who choose likewise. If I was riding 500 or 600 miles a week, priorities would change.

In the same way I use OS maps and my own brain rather than an artificial one to navigate and route plan, which I accept may mean the odd extra stop to have another look at a map, that's fine by me since there's a host of benefits from map reading which aren't there when following directions on a screen. But I also have the choice of using modern technology, if I choose or need. I don't use a fast-depreciating car as a daily hack to take the wear and tear of family holidays and the school run, but it's high quality if only likely worth £2k, but slowly increasing in value as each extra 10,000 miles roll by. We can often choose have something materially more expensive or better, it's just a matter of where we all choose to hop off to enjoy the view up the hill with no summit.

If it were 1937 and my bike was turn of the century and yours 1936's best, you'd be a lot further up the curve of engineering development and refinement, capable of easily riding more than twice the distance so I'd be looking to buy something new.

Looking back at what's gone from the top of the curve, or it furthest reach, it's easy - in fact, the brain demands it - to concentrate on the improvements over last year's or decade's offering. Looking up at those who spend more, those of us on quality steel framed bikes perhaps tend to dismiss the improvements as marginal, even when they may just be a little more than that. But we're happy with what we have chosen to use, not mocking what the other has, which is how it should be.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have always had a problem understanding the concept of a 1" steerer bending enough to reduce road vibration, but doing so without damaging the upper and lower bearing races of the headset. The bearing races are, surely, meant to remain at a fixed angle, with the upper and lower parallel to each other. But if the steerer is bending by a significant amount, that won't be the case for some of the time.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:15am I have always had a problem understanding the concept of a 1" steerer bending enough to reduce road vibration, but doing so without damaging the upper and lower bearing races of the headset. The bearing races are, surely, meant to remain at a fixed angle, with the upper and lower parallel to each other. But if the steerer is bending by a significant amount, that won't be the case for some of the time.
I don't buy it either,a 1inch steerer is more than likely going to have quill stem inserted in it which would stiffen any bending motion of the steerer,moreso on frames with shorter head tubes.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:33am
pwa wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:15am I have always had a problem understanding the concept of a 1" steerer bending enough to reduce road vibration, but doing so without damaging the upper and lower bearing races of the headset. The bearing races are, surely, meant to remain at a fixed angle, with the upper and lower parallel to each other. But if the steerer is bending by a significant amount, that won't be the case for some of the time.
I don't buy it either,a 1inch steerer is more than likely going to have quill stem inserted in it which would stiffen any bending motion of the steerer,moreso on shorter head tubes.
And when you think how stiff a short steerer, even 1" diameter, will be, you'd need an elephant swinging on the end of it to get it to bend.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 8:36am And when you think how stiff a short steerer, even 1" diameter, will be, you'd need an elephant swinging on the end of it to get it to bend.
My reasoning too!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Biospace wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 10:58pm
Romanticism, nostalgia and other emotions aren't qualities engineers appraise when they compare works of engineering, if they choose not to. But yes, for many, they can be very important and are no less a reason to derive enjoyment from something than losing a kg or three with intelligent use of more expensive materials. More subtle psychologies can be more difficult to filter out than nostalgia in an honest appraisal, but plenty do, plenty don't.

I'd expect nothing less than supreme comfort from a modern CF bike well made and well tailored to the rider, costing several £thousands - better than anything steel. But lack of comfort with steel isn't a problem for most of us riding it, but I do admit it's the most under-rated quality of any bike used along even well-surfaced roads, let alone back roads of the North Pennines or Pembrokeshire. I envy your extra comfort, but also choose not to sacrifice the qualities I enjoy, for those you do.

If this means I'm a bit more tired or have travelled slightly less far, that's not a problem, for me. I value the properties of steel under a range of stresses and strains, its durability, the ability to easily braze on new fittings, the aesthetics of a trad English touring bike, even. I even actively relish the fact it's not almost new, but can cover distances very nearly as capably as something which is. Added together, this comes to more than a few hundred or thousand grams and even more comfort, for me and presumably for many of those who choose likewise. If I was riding 500 or 600 miles a week, priorities would change.

In the same way I use OS maps and my own brain rather than an artificial one to navigate and route plan, which I accept may mean the odd extra stop to have another look at a map, that's fine by me since there's a host of benefits from map reading which aren't there when following directions on a screen. But I also have the choice of using modern technology, if I choose or need. I don't use a fast-depreciating car as a daily hack to take the wear and tear of family holidays and the school run, but it's high quality if only likely worth £2k, but slowly increasing in value as each extra 10,000 miles roll by. We can often choose have something materially more expensive or better, it's just a matter of where we all choose to hop off to enjoy the view up the hill with no summit.

If it were 1937 and my bike was turn of the century and yours 1936's best, you'd be a lot further up the curve of engineering development and refinement, capable of easily riding more than twice the distance so I'd be looking to buy something new.

Looking back at what's gone from the top of the curve, or it furthest reach, it's easy - in fact, the brain demands it - to concentrate on the improvements over last year's or decade's offering. Looking up at those who spend more, those of us on quality steel framed bikes perhaps tend to dismiss the improvements as marginal, even when they may just be a little more than that. But we're happy with what we have chosen to use, not mocking what the other has, which is how it should be.
As you say, the various wants we have of a bicycle can encompass all sorts of things, including feelings of romanticism and nostalgia. I wouldn't deny the relevance of, or seriously mock, such wants. However, there's often an attempt to disguise these wants with others that are more current or popular. This can lead to claims being made for older designs that are just not true. I suspect that the claims along the lines that "my steel bike is the most comfortable sort of bike so I prefer that to a more modern design" may be of that kind. But - as you do - why not just admit there are other perfectly legitimate reasons for wishing to ride a traditional steel bike?

Personally I do like the look of older steel bike designs, feeling some degree of nostalgia as I rode on them whilst having many adventures, for decades. However, being now an olescrote with a more sensitive set of nerve endings here and there, I prefer to actually ride a bicycle design that supplies more of what I want - comfort allied with efficiencies of many kinds, from wider gearing to grabbier yet less vulnerable tyres to an immediate and delicious response to my pedal thrusts. All whilst not feeling that jarring of the person.

Mind, I still dress like a 1960s cyclist of the racier ilk. Plenty of merino with old trade names on 'em and lace-up cycling shoes. Nostalgia pure and simple, although I can cover it over with various claims about the efficiency of merino jerseys and shoe laces at successfully clothing the thrusting cyclist in various weathers. :-)

We humans are easily led to all sorts of self-delusions, as we imbibe enormous amounts of manufactured illusions created by the advertmen. We're, sadly, very used to lying to ourselves in order to rationalise (well after the fact) some want or opinion we've become infected with. I like to try to resist this syndrome .... although I know that resistance is futile and I am as programmed with wants and opinions as the next Borg of the neolib collective.

Perhaps nostalgia and a cleaving to older past modes is also something of an inoculation against being assimilated by Big Business into their vast automated producer-consumer mechanism?

Cugel, also gizmo-free in the handlebar, unless you count a bell and a light.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

I don't know what constitutes 'light' (admittedly, I've been too lazy to read back through the thread), but I keep getting adverts for the Planet X Kaffenback, which I believe is almost a re-release from them. Looks a lovely little bike and is, as required, steel.
horizon

Post by horizon »

rogerzilla wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 6:53am Isn't that close to an audax bike?
That had been my first thought too. I would happily have bought an Audax bike (a Thorn most likely) but then somebody once said that if you change the wheels and tyres on a Thorn Club Tour you are most of the way there anyway. I did just that and, yes, it seems to work.

The demands of work trips, camping and family visits have made "light touring" a distant dream and living in Cornwall has meant that even day rides don't lend themselves to higher gears and narrow tyres on gravel and mud-strewn lanes.

My answer to the OP would be to go second-hand which could potentially open up a fascinating and much less restricted world than a narrow choice of new bikes of this genre.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

PH wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 9:58pm I think your conclusion is right, it simply isn't what people want. I can think of a few manufactures who've thought it was, had models that ticked many, if not all your boxes, SOMA Stanyan, Singular Ospray, a couple from VO, none of them were around for long.
Even Mercian seem to have been dragged into the present, most frames now come with a threadless headset and their latest model has disc brakes, straight forks and thru axels.
A threadless headset, disc brakes, straight forks and through axles are quite compatible with a light tourer.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 12:34pm A threadless headset, disc brakes, straight forks and through axles are quite compatible with a light tourer.
In this thread I have detailed a couple of the bikes and the difference in how they feel, upon which I am basing my definition of what a light tourer should be to fulfil my requirements, as well as stating my weight and the size of my bike.

By all means feel free to disagree with my idea of what defines and makes a light tourer, but it would be interesting to know how much you weigh, what size bike you ride, and what bikes you ride/have ridden that have led you to conclude that the things you list are 'quite compatible with a light tourer'.
PH

Post by PH »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 12:34pm
PH wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 9:58pm Even Mercian seem to have been dragged into the present, most frames now come with a threadless headset and their latest model has disc brakes, straight forks and thru axels.
A threadless headset, disc brakes, straight forks and through axles are quite compatible with a light tourer.
I don't disagree. But until recently they wouldn't have been seen as compatible with anything bearing the name Mercian, not least by the company itself.
Though in this case, the latest Mercian model, the High Peak, isn't being sold as a light tourer.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

slowster wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 1:48pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 12:34pm A threadless headset, disc brakes, straight forks and through axles are quite compatible with a light tourer.
In this thread I have detailed a couple of the bikes and the difference in how they feel, upon which I am basing my definition of what a light tourer should be to fulfil my requirements, as well as stating my weight and the size of my bike.

By all means feel free to disagree with my idea of what defines and makes a light tourer, but it would be interesting to know how much you weigh, what size bike you ride, and what bikes you ride/have ridden that have led you to conclude that the things you list are 'quite compatible with a light tourer'.
Quite! You've made your own personal definition of a category, thereby limiting the market somewhat.

Let's approach it from the other end; does anyone want to go touring with not too much luggage? Clearly a lot of people do this. Some of them call it bikepacking, some call it other names, but it's essentially the same activity whatever name you give it.

(And it's barely relevant, but I do almost all of my touring and a great deal of my other riding on a 54cm steel frame with "oversized" tubes including ovalised downtube, disc brakes, straight forks and through axles. Weight just under 70kg. Inside leg and shoe size available by application.)
PH

Post by PH »

slowster wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 1:48pm By all means feel free to disagree with my idea of what defines and makes a light tourer, but it would be interesting to know how much you weigh, what size bike you ride, and what bikes you ride/have ridden that have led you to conclude that the things you list are 'quite compatible with a light tourer'.
The question could be asked the other way round, what bikes have you ridden that are designed as light tourers? There's been a few examples in this thread, have to tested any of them? No one is going to disagree on you choosing your own criteria, there's just some debate if the way you choose to achieve it is the best or only option. You've asked the question as if those specifications were the only option, there certainly is a market for light steel tourers, it's becoming a very popular genre. I can think of half a dozen without any research, disc brakes are the game changer, not for the braking, but for the removal of tyre size restrictions*.
This one might appeal to me, at least for a closer look, if I was looking for that sort of bike. It isn't a model I'd come across though it looked attractive in the LEL gallery.
https://www.stanforthbikes.co.uk/stanforthconway

* Yes i know there's other options, but if they're not popular they may as well not exist as far as bike manufacturers are concerned.
pwa

Post by pwa »

There was a time when Audax bikes were marketed as "Audax / light tourer", so for me they are the same thing.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

pwa wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 3:07pm There was a time when Audax bikes were marketed as "Audax / light tourer", so for me they are the same thing.
This for me as well - the interchangeability between "light touring" and "randonee / audax" is almost indistinguishable in terms of bike set up / requirements.

That said, I've seen audax done on all sorts of bikes!