Carrying pump

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AnnaStravard

Carrying pump

Post by AnnaStravard »

I can fix a pump to my road bike. I really like the Topeak mini morph but the tubing is too big to fix the pump as it fouls the crank. The top tube has the cables running under it so that’s no good either. The only think I can think of is a Blackburn or similar mini pump in my saddle bag? I can carry a small mini pump in my back pocket but I keep forgetting it as I’ve always mounted my pumps on my bike.
Paulatic

Re: Carrying pump

Post by Paulatic »

Can you fit a 'frame fit pump'?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
AnnaStravard

Post by AnnaStravard »

Hi no that’s the problem the frame tubing is large and anything on the side of it fouls the cranks
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

A frame fit doesn’t go on the outside. It sits within the tubing with its own compression holding it.
BD6C4027-920E-4FB4-A44F-47333B3745E5.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Along the seat stay? Under the down tube - i.e not alongside. Admittedly it might mean being inventive with the fastening method, perhaps using Zefal pump pegs https://www.hewittcycles.co.uk/m2b0s46p ... m-Diameter
Some idea of the frame in question would help i.e are the seat stays straight - the seat tube curved etc
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

Most small pumps come with a bracket that fixes to bottle cage bolts (you can still have a bottle cage as well). e.g. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/apl ... _V1___.jpg
AnnaStravard

Post by AnnaStravard »

Thanks everyone good ideas
rjb

Post by rjb »

If your pump is a few inches too short to fit in the frame use an extension over the barrell of the handle to lengthen it. Pipe lagging or a drilled through cork or rubber bung then slitted works well. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

nosmarbaj wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 8:13am Most small pumps come with a bracket that fixes to bottle cage bolts (you can still have a bottle cage as well). e.g. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/apl ... _V1___.jpg
Or if, like mine, your pump comes without one, you can buy them separately. Google "Airstik pump clip", for example.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I bundle mine up inside 3 plastic bags then gaffer tape it to the frame as per the picture. For the very occasions it gets used do you need a special mounting? and if you are worried about damaging the paint wih the tape, wrap some cling film around first.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Pebble wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 9:03am I bundle mine up inside 3 plastic bags then gaffer tape it to the frame as per the picture. For the very occasions it gets used do you need a special mounting? and if you are worried about damaging the paint wih the tape, wrap some cling film around first.
mm - but you can't remove the pump easily if you leave the bike somewhere?
(I never leave anything on a bike)
Sweep
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I have got one of the very small pocket rocket pumps and just put it in the under saddle pack.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Sweep wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 9:36am
Pebble wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 9:03am I bundle mine up inside 3 plastic bags then gaffer tape it to the frame as per the picture. For the very occasions it gets used do you need a special mounting? and if you are worried about damaging the paint wih the tape, wrap some cling film around first.
mm - but you can't remove the pump easily if you leave the bike somewhere?
(I never leave anything on a bike)
Very rarely leave the bike anywhere for more than a few minutes, and it is not that sort of area anyway. Not sure if anyone knows what it is, twice people have asked me if its the battery pack. but I guess down south folk would just nick that too.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Pebble wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 10:02am
Very rarely leave the bike anywhere for more than a few minutes, and it is not that sort of area anyway. Not sure if anyone knows what it is, twice people have asked me if its the battery pack. but I guess down south folk would just nick that too.
now now with your stereotypes - plenty of stuff nicked in the likes of manchester and other northern places I think. It's very common for me to leave my bike propped outside my door all day - lock through wheels but not locked to anything else.
Sweep
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Sweep wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 10:15am
Pebble wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 10:02am
now now with your stereotypes - plenty of stuff nicked in the likes of manchester and other northern places I think. It's very common for me to leave my bike propped outside my door all day - lock through wheels but not locked to anything else.
manchester in the north ? looks more like the middle. But yes 'down south' was a poor expression, I wouldn't leave my bike unattended in Edinburgh for very long.