Carrying pump

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rjb

Re: Carrying pump

Post by rjb »

Daughter had her bike nicked in Cardiff whilst at uni. Locked up outside her flat with a u lock around a cast iron drain pipe. The tea leafs ripped the cast iron downpipe out of the brackets and ground and made off with the bike, leaving the remains of the downpipes on the pavement. :shock:
It wasn't anything special either just a pub beater.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Sweep wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 9:36am
Pebble wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 9:03am I bundle mine up inside 3 plastic bags then gaffer tape it to the frame as per the picture. For the very occasions it gets used do you need a special mounting? and if you are worried about damaging the paint wih the tape, wrap some cling film around first.
mm - but you can't remove the pump easily if you leave the bike somewhere?
(I never leave anything on a bike)
You can't remove the pump easily if you have a puncture either.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Stoneybatter

Post by Stoneybatter »

Last edited by Stoneybatter on 20 Aug 2022, 1:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

axel_knutt wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 12:52pm
Pebble wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 9:03am I bundle mine up inside 3 plastic bags then gaffer tape it to the frame as per the picture. For the very occasions it gets used do you need a special mounting? and if you are worried about damaging the paint wih the tape, wrap some cling film around first.
You can't remove the pump easily if you have a puncture either.
it comes off the bike easily enough, but getting the pump out of all its plastic wrappings is a pain in the aris, but it is important that it's clean and usable. I suppose it depends how often you get punctures, once every 5k ? (i have done it now, puncture fairy will have heard that). Don't think I have used it this year so far but with hedge cutting about to get underway....

as for things getting nicked off the bike when left chained-up. Spotted this (down south) in Newcastle a while back
so excessive I had to take a picture for posterity, surprised they left the paint on!
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I have a "telescopic" pump called a 'pump up the volume' from Planet X - surprisingly good, and attaches to the bottle cage area as others have said. I was considering silver soldering a 'pip' on the headtube of my Spa tourer (later models had a 'pip' I believe), but the telescopic mini pump works well..... almost as good at a full-length pump.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

The Zefal 'Doodad' pump strap and clip is a handy item for strapping a traditional style pump to a frame: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/zefal ... pump-clip/

Couple these straps with a cheap pump and you'll be good for less than a tenner! https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/size- ... ycle-pump/

Here's one in action:

pump.jpg
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

If you do not have a pump peg on your bike you can easily make one with a zip-tie.
Attach one around the headtube and then cut off the excess.

Here is an example on my titanium-framed bike. I've also attached one to my Dolan Dual framed bike.

Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

Pebble wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 2:42pm as for things getting nicked off the bike when left chained-up. Spotted this (down south) in Newcastle a while back
so excessive I had to take a picture for posterity, surprised they left the paint on!
Or maybe the owner lost the key to their D Lock.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I do except valuables. I think a loaded touring bike is less likely to be nicked than an empty one?

What do others think?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jamesh wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 11:43pm
I do except valuables. I think a loaded touring bike is less likely to be nicked than an empty one?

What do others think?
interesting thread drift - I's start a new thread.
Sweep
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Sweep wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 7:53am
Jamesh wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 11:43pm

What do others think?
interesting thread drift - I's start a new thread.
Appologies!