Forme Peak Trail 1 replacement tyre problems.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Paddyg001

Forme Peak Trail 1 replacement tyre problems.

Post by Paddyg001 »

Hiya... I'm new here but have a massive problem.
Please bear with me as I explain.
I bought a 2022 model Forme Peak Trail 1 hybrid bike in Dec 21.
My back tyre has worn completely away in the middle after approx 400 miles. This is not my major problem although I must admit I had thought it should have lasted longer?
I decided to replace both my tyres with the Schwalbe Land Warrior tyre.
I checked my existing tyre size 700x38c and checked manufacturers spec to find out I could replace with up to 42c width. I purchased 700x40c tyres.
Now my problem begins
I replaced the back tyre first and it took a while as I had to hold the tyre on as I was inflating because it kept popping off the rim. It sees to be to big. Are these tyres oversized? The front one was a real pig to fit as it kept blowing off the rim as I was inflating and nipping 4 tubes in the process. After a lot to do I had them fitted and all looked OK until I went for a cycle.
After 10 miles the back tyre blew off the rim and popped the tube. I had a spare tube so replaced it. A further 2 miles along the road and the front came off and eventually nipped the tube before I got stopped.
I have since tried a Schwalbe Land Warrior in 700x35c size and a Bell tyre in 700x38c size and both are coming off the rim as I attempt to inflate.
Has anyone had any similar issues with either this bike or these tyres? I'm at a loss as what to do.
Thanks for reading.
531colin

Re: Forme Peak Trail 1 replacement tyre problems.

Post by 531colin »

Can you see daylight between the wheel and tyre like this?

Image003 by 531colin, on Flickr

There are only 2 possibilities I can think of.....
1.. the wheels are undersize
2.. all the tyres are oversize....thats 2 sizes of Schwalbe and one Bell?

What do they say where you bought the bike? ....or the tyres?

Have you got a local bike shop where you could take a wheel and ask them to see if their tyre(s) fit? .....hint....if you didn't spend your money there, take a couple of packets of biscuits
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

As above, also you need to check that it's seated at the valve. Sometimes the tyre gets caught on the valve and is lifted off as it inflates
There's a video here, I've only watched half but it seems okay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kixcPuk6p_M
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Paddyg001

Post by Paddyg001 »

531colin wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 12:24pm Can you see daylight between the wheel and tyre like this?

Image003 by 531colin, on Flickr

There are only 2 possibilities I can think of.....
1.. the wheels are undersize
2.. all the tyres are oversize....thats 2 sizes of Schwalbe and one Bell?

What do they say where you bought the bike? ....or the tyres?

Have you got a local bike shop where you could take a wheel and ask them to see if their tyre(s) fit? .....hint....if you didn't spend your money there, take a couple of packets of biscuits
Hiya thanks for the replies. Yes I can see daylight at the top but prob twice as much as your picture. Yes I have tried 3 tyres, all 700 diameter and in 35, 38 and 40 width. The tyres came on the bike are 700x38c. It's frustrating.
I bought the bike online from Tredz. They have been helping me by trying to communicate with Forme who won't deal with me directly. I'm awaiting their outcome at the min.
I have a local bike shop I will take it to I think.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Paddyg001 wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 11:34am ...........I bought the bike online from Tredz. They have been helping me by trying to communicate with Forme who won't deal with me directly. I'm awaiting their outcome at the min...........
Not even half-way good enough.

Remind Tredz that they have a legally binding contract with you, for you to buy and them to sell a bicycle of "merchantable quality".
You don't have a contract with Forme, although Tredz do, which will enable Tredz to get their money back from Forme....but that isn't your concern.
Inform Tredz that you expect a satisfactory response from them in a satisfactory time frame....of your choosing.
They are a bike shop, therefore they can't pretend ignorance of the problem......if you had bought it from a motor accessory shop, they might try that one.
Tell Tredz the bike isn't of merchantable quality and you expect them to send a courier to pick it up; you expect a full refund of the price of the bike, and also the price of all the ruined inner tubes, and all the new tyres you bought which should fit (according to the specification) but don't. (You may be prepared to accept a credit note from them for future purchases of tyres and tubes for whatever bike you replace the duff one with....that will save them money against the retail price you paid)

I don't think I would want Tredz to send me tyres which they think might fit, because where might you get tyres in the future?

In the absence of an acceptable response, I suggest you post it all over Facebook.....that often focusses the mind!

Send them pictures like mine of tyres "not fitting" the rim.....the ones you bought as well as any you can find in a helpful bike shop.

Just to be sure, what size does it say on the tyres which came on the bike? What brand etc are they?
Paddyg001

Post by Paddyg001 »

Hiya sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes the various tyres I tried all have had the appropriate size written on the side wall. I havnt asked Tredz to collect the bike just yet as I was awaiting the outcome of their communication with Forme. I did however contact the consumer rights people. They told me if it had have been a fault of the bike I would have rights but as its a fault of the tyre i.e. the aftermarket tyre not fitting I would have a case. They said as the tyres that came with the bike were OK it is not an issue. I've emailed Tredz again this morn so am waiting on the reply. Thanks everyone.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Completely agree that this is Tredz problem to solve.

Other things to check.

Does the rim/wheel have sizing on it? An ERD?.
Is the wheel round and straight? Or has it gone Oval?
Do the old tires still fit, if you were to re-fit them?

Do you have another wheel you could try the new tire(s) on?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Paddyg001 wrote: 5 Sep 2022, 11:08am Hiya sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes the various tyres I tried all have had the appropriate size written on the side wall. I havnt asked Tredz to collect the bike just yet as I was awaiting the outcome of their communication with Forme. I did however contact the consumer rights people. They told me if it had have been a fault of the bike I would have rights but as its a fault of the tyre i.e. the aftermarket tyre not fitting I would have a case. They said as the tyres that came with the bike were OK it is not an issue. I've emailed Tredz again this morn so am waiting on the reply. Thanks everyone.
This strikes me as nonsense. I forget exactly, but you have tried 2 or 3 different sizes of tyres from more than one reputable manufacturer. ....all of these tyres are in the range of sizes which are supposed to fit this bike, none of them actually fit.
On the balance of probabilities, its the bike thats wrong, not ALL the tyres.
If Tredz are telling you the bike is right, tell them to send you a pair of tyres which will fit.
Have you put it on Facebook yet?
Have you tried your local shop, see if they have tyres to fit? (just take in a loose wheel, not the whole bike)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

531colin wrote: 7 Sep 2022, 7:43am
Paddyg001 wrote: 5 Sep 2022, 11:08am Hiya sorry for the delay in replying.

This strikes me as nonsense. I forget exactly, but you have tried 2 or 3 different sizes of tyres from more than one reputable manufacturer. ....all of these tyres are in the range of sizes which are supposed to fit this bike, none of them actually fit.
On the balance of probabilities, its the bike thats wrong, not ALL the tyres.
If Tredz are telling you the bike is right, tell them to send you a pair of tyres which will fit.
Have you put it on Facebook yet?
Have you tried your local shop, see if they have tyres to fit? (just take in a loose wheel, not the whole bike)
I think the consumer rights people are telling him he doesn't have a case, because they are somehow assuming that the bike is ok & it's a problem with all of the aftermarket tyres.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paddyg001 wrote: 5 Sep 2022, 11:08am ...
I did however contact the consumer rights people. They told me if it had have been a fault of the bike I would have rights but as its a fault of the tyre i.e. the aftermarket tyre not fitting I would have a case. They said as the tyres that came with the bike were OK it is not an issue. I've emailed Tredz again this morn so am waiting on the reply. Thanks everyone.
Who gave you this advice?

Was the bike bought from a dealer or as a private sale?

Thanks

Jonathan
531colin

Post by 531colin »

He bought it on line from Tredz
slowster

Post by slowster »

As already others have said, this is Tredz's problem to fix. Neverthless, it might help if you can identify exactly what the problem is yourself. If you are able to tell Tredz exactly what is wrong (as opposed to the symptom, i.e. the tyres are too big), they should then deal with it properly.

Given what you describe, it seems to me that logically the most likely cause is that the wheels are the wrong size. Forme sell their bikes with their own brand wheelsets, and it is possible that they will not have any (size) markings on them. There are typically only two sizes of wheels (rims) on the vast majority of bikes sold nowadays, either rims with a 622mm bead seat diameter for 700C (road) tyres and 29" (MTB) tyres, or rims with a 584mm bead seat diameter for 650B / 27.5" tyres (mainly wider tyres for MTBs, but also used in narrower tyre widths for a smaller number of road/touring/gravel bikes). There are not any mainstream wheel sizes between those two sizes.

The extent to which you can lift the tyre above the rim makes me think your bike may have been fitted with a set of 27.5" wheels, such as those used on Forme's MTB range. 622mm - 584mm = 38mm.

1. Do you have the original tyres which you wore out? They would almost certainly have the size marked on them.

2. If you don't still have the original tyres, I would try to measure the rim. The bead seat diameter itself is not easy to measure, because the bead seat shoulder is in the well of the rim. To begin with therefore I would simply measure the rim diameter (outside edge to outside edge) - for a 622mm BSD rim the outer rim diameter will be greater than 622mm, i.e. >630mm. My guess is that your rim will measure much less.

If the wrong wheels have been fitted to the bike, I think Tredz need to take the bike back and supply a new one with the correct wheels.

They could send you a replacement set of wheels, but you would then have to transfer over the cassette and brake discs, and adjust the gear indexing and brake alignment (fine if you have the tools and experience and don't mind doing it, but otherwise unacceptable unless Tredz are willing to pay the cost of your local bike shop doing the work, and providing that suits you).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

On the consumer rights... under English law the description has to be accurate whatever the condition.

On what to do next... what slowster says,

Jonathan
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Can you not borrow a 700c bare wheel and compare?
Plead ignorance and take it to another shop and say. "what size is this please?".
Ask the shop to fit the tyre?
There is something fishy here IMHO.
It could be a 650b wheel but if as ther OP says, the original tyre was 700c then I doubt it.
OP. What happens when you inflate this loose tyre? I can create as big a gap with quite a few tyre and rim combinations that are correct sizes, just by letting the bead drop into the well of the rim (as you would for fitting).
mig

Post by mig »

whilst i'd agree that it must be the wheel at fault i can't see how you could manage 400 miles on a previous tyre marked 700c.
was that tyre firmly on the rim and properly inflated? could you attribute a reason as to why it wore out in a sort period of time?