New bikes, 12 speed, new tools?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GideonReade

New bikes, 12 speed, new tools?

Post by GideonReade »

Oh dear, possibly more expense and more confusion of toolkits.

In the last two years, our household fleet of ageing 8 and 9 speed road, offroad, tour and hack bikes (overlapping categories) has been joined by two 1x12 modern hardtails. Irritatingly, one Shimano, one SRAM.

The chains are somewhat narrower, are they not, and tolerances generally tighter. When a few weeks ago I realised I had mislaid, or lost* my chain checker, I found advice suggesting I needed an upgrade anyway (yes I know I can use a ruler, but not on 8 bikes stacked in the dark).

So, in general, what other tools might I need to change?
  • Chain checker (workshop) - done, Pedro 2
    Chain breaker (workshop)?
    Chain quicklink plier (workshop)?
    Chain tool (multitool, on board)?
    Quicklinks, 8, 9, now 12? (onboard) How many types for 12?
I should add that my onboard toolkit, excluding multiweek/heavy trips is/is intended to be, one kit that I put on whatever bike I'm using.

At least I am confident my coathanger chain hook will still work. Aren't I?

*Is there a portmanteau word for the pesky phenomena of losing a tool by lending it out, forgetting who to, and never getting it back? Lested? Lont? I think "lont" works for me.
keyboardmonkey

Re: New bikes, 12 speed, new tools?

Post by keyboardmonkey »

I feel your pain. I’m sticking at 10-speed Shimano rim-braked bikes. After that I’m out. I’ve got enough tools already.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

You shouldn't need a new chain tool. Vast majority will work with 11 and 12 speed even if they weren't specifically designed that way.

Since those chains are designed exclusively to be joined by quicklinks, you should only ever need to split them in an absolute emergency anyway (like a tangled chain), just rejoin with quicklink.

Whatever chain you have (KMC, Shimano, SRAM etc) just get the QL for that.
GideonReade

Post by GideonReade »

Hi Rareposter,

Sounds hopeful, although I'll be interested to see if my 1990's Cooltool, used as workshop breaker actually works.

"should only ever need to split them in an absolute emergency" - surely they will still need shortening to fit most bikes on initial installation? But not splitting on the road is indeed a step.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

You break them to shorten but always use a quick link to reconnect..
GideonReade

Post by GideonReade »

Yes, so one still needs a chain splitter, but unless it's a very long ride, only at home.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

I have luddite tendencies; my most used bikes are two triple 8 speeds and a compact 10 speed. However, I have recently started as a volunteer for my two nearest Repair Cafés, fixing up bikes. I've been doing it for less than 6 months and the majority of the time it's sorting out V brakes. I have no experience of disc or hydraulic brakes other than working on my car in the 70s, so, I'm wondering what would be useful items to add to my toolbox in case we do encounter a more modern bike with disc brakes at the Cafés. I could probably improve a bent rotor with an adjustable spanner but probably best not to tackle hydraulic brakes at all in a generally quick fix situation such as the Repair Café. Thoughts?
GideonReade

Post by GideonReade »

Goodness me, yes, my list of extra tools completely omitted the new hydraulic disk brakes on our new MTBs. I do know that one being SRAM, one Shimano, they use incompatible fluids.

So:

Bleeding kits (each?). Same as automotive or different?

Top up fluid.

I think we may be needing star drives, too? Not sure what sizes? I have them at home for MB van (and mother in law's fridge!).
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

fausto99 wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 4:54pm I have luddite tendencies; my most used bikes are two triple 8 speeds and a compact 10 speed. However, I have recently started as a volunteer for my two nearest Repair Cafés, fixing up bikes. I've been doing it for less than 6 months and the majority of the time it's sorting out V brakes. I have no experience of disc or hydraulic brakes other than working on my car in the 70s, so, I'm wondering what would be useful items to add to my toolbox in case we do encounter a more modern bike with disc brakes at the Cafés. I could probably improve a bent rotor with an adjustable spanner but probably best not to tackle hydraulic brakes at all in a generally quick fix situation such as the Repair Café. Thoughts?
Not exactly a tool, but... copious amounts of disc brake cleaner spray. And clean paper towel. Use on pads, rotors, callipers. Also use some on the jaws of your adjustable spanner before you go near the rotor with it. Actually the dedicated rotor-straightener tools are better for the job than an adjustable spanner and can be had for not much more than a fiver. Might be worth investing. Oh, and maybe a bleed block to shove in the brake calliper while you have the wheel out to work on it, just in case someone happens by and squeezes the brake lever for you (or you do it yourself without thinking, not that I've ever made that mistake <cough>).

I can think of maybe two quick fixes I'd do in that environment but only on mineral-oil brakes and only if it wasn't busy.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Good advice, thanks.
My current stable of rim or hub braked bikes will probably “see me out” as my late Ma-in-law used to say. I don’t see me getting a disc brake bike so I don’t want to spend too much on them. I could afford a fiver for a rotor tool though.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

GideonReade wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 5:50pmI think we may be needing star drives, too? Not sure what sizes?
There's an excellent box of unusual driver bits from Silverline:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633 ... B000QB2XDK?

Jonathan
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

Of course, if you bought a Campag chainset you'd need ro spend A LOT on tools to service that. Only they could get away with Ultra Torque.

One of the best tools I have bought recently is a derailleur hanger alignment tool. Not one of the 11 bikes we own with derailleurs had a straight hanger.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 10:15pm I feel your pain. I’m sticking at 10-speed Shimano rim-braked bikes. After that I’m out. I’ve got enough tools already.
Pity Shimano changed the pull ratios for Tiagra 4700 :|
scottg

Post by scottg »

pliptrot wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 10:39pm Of course, if you bought a Campag chainset you'd need ro spend A LOT on tools to service that. Only they could get away with Ultra Torque. [snip]
If you think Campag has odd tools, stay away from English stuff, still looking for a Whitworth multitool. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
colin54

Post by colin54 »

GideonReade wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 10:30am
*Is there a portmanteau word for the pesky phenomena of losing a tool by lending it out, forgetting who to, and never getting it back? Lested? Lont? I think "lont" works for me.
Stooloaned.
Nu-Fogey