Summer sun headwear

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
carlislemike

Summer sun headwear

Post by carlislemike »

Okay I do know this has been raised before but I’ve lost track of it and can’t find the thread! I have solar keratosis and always cycle with a head cover even in winter. Most modern cycle caps are fine; even if shrinking after several washes in some cases, but what I’m trying to find one which has a drop down flap at the rear to cover the nape of my neck, and if lucky, my big ears. My kids had such when very young but seem to recall similar being available for adults.
simonineaston

Re: Summer sun headwear

Post by simonineaston »

Amazon - "fishing cap"
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Not aware of anything cycling specific but maybe this would serve?
Image[/img]
https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens/accessorie ... r-cowl-cap
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 12:28pm Not aware of anything cycling specific but maybe this would serve?
It won't be great, as Sheldon Brown observes "a baseball cap is designed to blow off your head as you chased the fly ball, whilst the engineer's cap is designed to not blow off when you stick your head out the side window of your locomotive."

After the demise of my legionnaire's cap with its built-in flap, I'm using a patrol cap and tucking a buff sideways into the back of the band to form a flap on sunny days.
Last edited by mjr on 16 Aug 2022, 6:15pm, edited 3 times in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Thanks for those ideas. Seems Amazon wins the day despite! Fact is, Rohan out of stock of large bonce sized caps. Sheldon Brown, what a hero!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 12:35pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 12:28pm Not aware of anything cycling specific but maybe this would serve?
It won't be great, as Sheldon Brown observes "a baseball cap is designed to blow off your head as you chased the fly ball, whilst the engineer's cap is designed to not blow off when you stick your head out the side window of your locomotive."

After the demise of my legionnaire's cap with its built-in flap, I'm using a patrol cap and tucking a buff sideways into the back of the band to form a flap on sunny days.
Your link doesn't work, which is a shame because I'm intrigued by that Sheldon quote.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 12:59pm
mjr wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 12:35pm

Your link doesn't work, which is a shame because I'm intrigued by that Sheldon quote.
Sheldon Brown's Engineer Hat:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/org/engineer.html
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

https://uk.tilley.com/collections/hats/ ... airflo-hat

Not as cheap as Amazon and may not fit the bill but I used one of these on a mini break in Dorset on the hottest weekend ever recently.

I took my helmet as the roads are hectic there but it was just too hot.

I like it because it has a secure cord which stops it blowing off when going downhill. This of course is not a problem for me going uphill!!
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Gore C5 Windstopper cap?
Gore-Wear-C5-Windstopper-Road-Cap-Internal-Black-AW18-100390990002-0.jpg
DHB Windslam?
dhb-Windslam-Cycling-Peaked-Cap-2019-Caps-Black-AW19-AL0249BLACKM-L.jpg
Castelli Bandito?
Castelli-Bandito-Cap-Caps-Light-Black-AW20-CS205480858.jpg
They all look a bit warm for summer, mind.
scottg

Post by scottg »

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
freiston

Post by freiston »

I got mine (with detachable velcro drop-down flap) from Decathlon but I can't see anything like it on their website now (it looks like they've reduced their range to me).

One thing I found with mine is that, once I'm moving, the flap blows up and no longer affords protection to the ears/side and even the back of the neck.

I attached a piece of thin cord to the bottom front corner on one side of the flap with a small metal clip at the other end of the cord, and a small keyring on the corner of the other side, so that I can clip the cord across my neck/chest. The weight and restriction (due to length of cord) is enough to keep the flap from lifting (though it does "inflate" down a good hill) and it has stopped me losing the hat when it blows off down those long steep hills.

I don't consider the cord to present a safety risk - if something did get caught in it, the velcro would eventually give way and if something got even close to snagging, I reckon I would have much bigger threats to worry about.

I have thought about using a "regular" peaked cap but with a lightweight cotton buff - the idea being that it will protect my neck and be useful for pulling over my mouth/nose when there's a lot of dust or insects. My biggest reservation in this option is that I can't see it providing good cover for the ears - but it could be used in conjunction with a hat that covers the ears but not the neck.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I wear a cycling cap in the summer, and a warmer cycling cap in the winter. Helmets don't get a look-in with me! :wink:

Summer wear is this sort of thing.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/orro-cycling-cap
Mick F. Cornwall
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Back in my fellwalking days I quickly settled on the knotted hanky as my sunhat of choice, all the other options are too thick, too tight, and too hot. Since then, I've dispensed with the knots, and sewn a hanky into the correct size and shape. It fits close but loose, and stays on in a 40-50mph airstream without any elastic assistance at all. It's thin and white, so it's cool, even cooler than brown hair. It also occupies a fraction of the space in pockets and luggage. Back in the days of tying knots I did occasionally tie a second hanky in so it hangs down at the back.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
offroader

Post by offroader »

A durag might be a good solution. Personally I use an ancient (free on the cover) MBUK stretchy neck warmer/buff thing

Both could be worn with an eye patch for the full Pugwash/Il Pirata effect!
freiston

Post by freiston »

I've just found this at Go Outdoors - £19 (£9.50 with member's card):

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15901607/n ... t-15901607
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)