Any older e-bikes still on the road?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
asinus

Any older e-bikes still on the road?

Post by asinus »

My Raleigh Select was bought by my wife in 2000 (and had been in stock for about a year). The original Ni-Cd cells were down to a range of 8 miles ten years ago, and so we got it re-celled with lithium cells at the end of 2012. It has a torque-sensored Sanyo rear hub drive, whose power we've never found out but seems to be well less than 250W. It's had the chainwheel and block changed to raise the gear (the original top gear was about 61"), and has you can see it's had a longer seat-post, replacement brakes, two-legged prop-stand and front racks fitted (it's now used as a load-lugger and tow-bike). The battery still gives me a range of over 20 miles, maybe more if not too hilly, heavily loaded or towing.
Has anyone an older e-bike still in regular use?
Attachments
Silver.jpg
RamsgateTodd

Re: Any older e-bikes still on the road?

Post by RamsgateTodd »

I have a Woman's shopper (Powertech) which is about 10 years old, I've just got an upgrade, I will miss the throttle. 🙂
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

I've seen a Powabyke ridden locally occasionally which I think are lead acid battery based but not sure of the year. I'm in Yeovil and I think Powabyke are based nearby in Bath or Bristol so I guess I am more likely to see those here.

I have seen ebike conversions of older bikes like 90s mountain bikes so the bike is older but the ebike components aren't.

Most of the ebikes I see around here are fairly recent and generally budget models mostly sub £1000 like 20" folding ebikes or those 'Assist' models from Halfords. I tend to always look at bicycles when I see them. So the Powabyke was a very rare site. They look super heavy. From a distance you think someone is riding a moped until they get closer.
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

asinus wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 9:33pm ....... It has a torque-sensored Sanyo rear hub drive, whose power we've never found out but seems to be well less than 250W......
Don't forget prior to the 2015 revamp of the EAPC regs there was a 200W limit on ebike motors.