New 'green' cross-Channel service between Dover and Boulogne to launch

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mike Sales

New 'green' cross-Channel service between Dover and Boulogne to launch

Post by Mike Sales »

Catamaran ferry.jpg
A new 'green' cross-Channel ferry service launches next month - offering a very different travel experience to that currently available.

New company SailLink is to start operating 'fast commercial sailing catamarans' between Dover and Boulogne.
However, billed as a new sustainable service, it will only cater for foot passengers, cycle tourists and small groups.
Bit pricey. £85 one way.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-busin ... th-272050/
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
horizon

Re: New 'green' cross-Channel service between Dover and Boulogne to launch

Post by horizon »

Mike Sales wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 6:31pm

Bit pricey. £85 one way.
Bargain! I'm up for it! Fantastic!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

From my experience of going to sea in small ships this may well be an interesting experience.
I've known people with 20 years seagoing experience heaving over the rail during a force seven.
My recommendation is "Stugeron" if you can still get it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 8:59am From my experience of going to sea in small ships this may well be an interesting experience.
I've known people with 20 years seagoing experience heaving over the rail during a force seven.
I wondered what green meant!

: - )

Jonathan

PS: "If sea conditions dictate the route is unsuitable, a deal has been struck with the major ferry operators to get passengers across the Channel."
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

A bit of sea-sickness is part of the adventure, surley. This looks awesome!
(and the more I read, the more I like: " The waiting room is any of the beach-side cafés." )
sail_lnk.jpeg
Last edited by mattheus on 18 Aug 2022, 9:10am, edited 1 time in total.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Cats=vomit comets!

Rolin, rolin, cross the channel...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 9:08am Cats=vomit comets!

Rolin, rolin, cross the channel...

Al
Have you ever sailed in a cat?
They roll a lot less than a monohull. I have sailed in both types of less than 9m. I particularly remember a rough passage off the west coast of Ireland in a monohull.
Catamarans are known to have a smoother ride than similar mono-hull vessels, making it easier to sail without motion sickness. Catamarans also offer better ventilation and vision in the living quarters. In a catamaran, the living quarters are situated on the deck.

This allows for better vision while moving and the possibility to open windows.
https://www.godownsize.com/catamarans-s ... ess-facts/
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 9:04am
ANTONISH wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 8:59am From my experience of going to sea in small ships this may well be an interesting experience.
I wondered what green meant!

: - )

Jonathan

PS: "If sea conditions dictate the route is unsuitable, a deal has been struck with the major ferry operators to get passengers across the Channel."
Hovercraft had a similar arrangement. Conditions had to be pretty grim before they implemented it.
I remember taking a couple of friends for the Hovercraft - as we came into Dover a wave broke on the sea wall and water cascaded over the car - that was inside the harbour. Hovercraft still took a long time to decide to transfer the passengers.
It may well be that a passenger view of sea conditions will differ from that of the skipper.
Happy sailing.
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

It could literally be a "green" experience if you are prone to sea sickness. I've never been prone to air sickness or sea sickness so this could be a good test. On the other hand, good luck to the operators for trying something that could develop into a viable alternative if demand brings expansion and lower prices.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Looks like great fun.

Doubt they'd take it out in anything other than calm. I remember that bit of coast being a bit lumpy - got caught out on a delivery trip once and instead of the forecast 18 knots, we were seeing 55. Managed to get double figure speeds under bare poles.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I remember coming back from a lad's holiday in the south of France. We were on a hovercraft and one of my chums turned green with sea-sickness - well, obviously he didn't literally turn green, but I remember looking at his face and thinking, "Ah, I see why they call it 'turning green'...". Poor bloke looked so ill!!
I imagine the new service has something different in mind.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)