E bike conversions Central Scotland

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
AndyGlas

E bike conversions Central Scotland

Post by AndyGlas »

I'm looking to convert my bike to an e bike. Does anyone know electronics experts who can do this in the Central Scotland area?
Vantage

Re: E bike conversions Central Scotland

Post by Vantage »

It's more mechanical knowledge you need than electrical.
Depending on how you want to electrify your bike, this can be as easy as swapping out the front wheel or rear wheel or replacing the chainset and bottom bracket for a mid drive motor. Any wiring needed to be done is merely a case of plugging one wire into another.
The 3 main components of any setup are all the same, motor unit, battery and control display.
There's no internal electrical tinkering involved.
I'd suggest googling front/rear wheel and mid drive options to weigh up what you do or don't need and then look to YouTube to get a demonstration of just how simple they are to install.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
stodd

Re: E bike conversions Central Scotland

Post by stodd »

I absolutely agree with what Vantage says; as long as you buy a kit of parts that are known to work together.
You may be able to save a bit by buying the different parts separately but there are lots of compatibility issues to consider.

I'd recommend https://wooshbikes.co.uk/. Not the cheapest but reasonable, and very good customer service, both before and, if needed, after the sale. If you send photos of the bike and tell them how and where you want to ride they'll give advice about the most appropriate kit.

Also worth giving those details and asking at https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... ussion.42/
That forum would be specially worth visiting if you decide to buy separate parts; you'll get lots of advice, mostly sensible.