Am I being unreasonable?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
fastpedaller

Re: Am I being unreasonable?

Post by fastpedaller »

There is one of those chicanes a few miles from us. I consider the traffic to be more dangerous because of chicanes. This particular one is there to encourage the 20 MPH limit, however there is a bend just after it, and the vehicles (that are deemed to take priority) have to go around a slight bend just prior to the chicane, and are often (surprise, surprise) exceeding the 20 MPH limit. One day my Wife was driving her car through the chicane, and had entered the chicane when there wasn't an oncoming vehicle visible. A speeding driver ranted at her and 'locked mirrors' as my Wife was exiting the chicane, and told her "you should have stopped for me."
Unfortunately (IMHO) this reflects the mentality of some, who (despite not having priority) because 1) They didn't enter the chicane before the approaching vehicle and 2) They weren't visible to the other vehicle before that driver had entered...... consider they have priority, even if they could become involved in a collision. Some consider the sign "you have priority" trumps all other traffic laws!
qwerty360

Re: Am I being unreasonable?

Post by qwerty360 »

That chicane looks particularly nasty as on GMAP's it looks to be around the width where a cyclist + small car might just fit with suitable error margin, and typical car + cyclist will fit with insufficient error margin.

So as a result an awful lot of drivers will rant about you being in primary, because if you weren't they could get through 99% of the time without hitting you.

The problem is 99% of the time not getting hit still leaves you getting crushed within a year or two if it is somewhere you ride regularly...

Hence it being reasonable (and correct) to ride in primary...