Wiggle and Evri

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
AnnaStravard

Wiggle and Evri

Post by AnnaStravard »

We’ve used Wiggle lots since they started not the cheapest but they had a good range and deliveries used to be very quick and reliable via Royal Mail.

They now use the rebranded Hermes - Evri and we’ve had nothing but trouble so it’s the last straw we are voting with our feet. Anybody else had issues?
Paulatic

Re: Wiggle and Evri

Post by Paulatic »

I have an Evri delivery most weeks one expected today. Never have a problem with them. I also like to send stuff with them as they’ve a handy drop off at local garage where they also print the label for you.
Never from Wiggle though I dropped them at least 10 yrs ago.
A couple of days ago I had a Parcelforce delivery it was 11:30 and the drive had only 4 more drops to make. Contrast that to a DPD delivery I had a couple of weeks ago. At 17:30 I was drop number 103 and the driver still had another 30 drops left. ( I live in a rural area just in case those numbers don’t compute to city life)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I use Wiggle. Hermes/Evri has been their carrier for a few years. Our local Evri man is very good, a real ambassador for Evri, but then he is a cyclist so recognises where my stuff is coming from. Just once, 2 years ago, a parcel failed to leave the Hermes sorting office/warehouse. I had to wait a couple of weeks but Wiggle sent a replacement with no problems. I have never sent anything by Evri, but as a recipient I am quite happy - of course your local delivery person may not be as efficient as mine.
AnnaStravard

Post by AnnaStravard »

Thanks for the responses it seems to hinge on how good the local delivery agent etc ours blatantly lied saying they tried to deliver twice. We were in at both supposed times.

Hohum anyway we are not using them anymore loads of other choice out there.

Safe and happy cycling.
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

"Evri, the new Hermes". I have read some horror stories about Hermes/Evri but generally for me the delivery has been OK. One or two items have taken longer than expected to arrive, but generally OK. The only issue is that they are liable to turn up at random times, so what happens if you're not in? With Royal Mail items go back to the sorting office if a neighbour doesn't take them, so you can collect them the next day. I generally go for click and collect if that's an option, and the last time I bought something from Wiggle that worked OK.

As for posting stuff, eg for ebay, I find them convenient as I can just drop the item off at a local shop.

Hermes, messenger of the ancient Greek gods, is a rather grand symbol for what's a rather mundane delivery operation exploiting low paid workers. But Evri? What marketing genius thought that up? Is it txt spk for "every", implying some concept of universality? Beats me.

If they wanted to change their name, suggesting that they're not the same organisation any more, they've failed already, as they've told everyone that Evri is the new Hermes, whatever their good or bad points were.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

a.twiddler wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 9:20am...
But Evri? What marketing genius thought that up? Is it txt spk for "every", implying some concept of universality?
Yes.

"This is more than just a name change – it is a statement of intent of our commitment to leading the way in creating responsible delivery experiences for 'Evri one', 'Evri where'," he said. "It heralds a new culture and an even better way of doing things in an ever-evolving world, building on our achievements and successes."
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/u ... l-23366226

Jonathan
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

Yeah, right. Management speak for cutting ever more corners and squeezing yet more from their staff. Been there, done that, got the T shirt.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

By coincidence, we've just received an Evri delivery - our first, AFAIK. Predicted slot 1100 - 1300 and it arrived 1145. All good. It came here because our son who ordered it is away on holiday.

I'd agree that so much depends on the driver/agent/whatever. I'd say our DPD driver wins hands down but I read poor reports from elsewhere about the firm.

A lot also depends on neighbours. Around here, we all look after each other but that doesn't apply everywhere
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

We find Evri are fine, local agent is excellent.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

AnnaStravard wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 6:10amdeliveries used to be very quick and reliable
I can't say the same for their website. I don't think I've ever bought anything from Wiggle, largely because I was losing the will to live whilst waiting for the webpages to load.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I've found Evri to be a nightmare. I no longer purchase online from companies where delivery would be using Evri - I want the goods not to wait in needlessly for days.

Issue I repeatedly have is I'll be waiting in and status will suddenly change to "Customer mot present/home" when they've not even been near the house ('cos I've been sitting there where I see the gate and driveway"). I suspect the delivery driver is running late so skips more rural deliveries. Happens repeatedly.

I've had Wiggle refund delivery charges and give me vouchers for Evri's diabolical performance.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

AnnaStravard wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 9:20am Thanks for the responses it seems to hinge on how good the local delivery agent etc ours blatantly lied saying they tried to deliver twice. We were in at both supposed times.

Hohum anyway we are not using them anymore loads of other choice out there.

Safe and happy cycling.
If you care, tell wiggle, else they won't definitely know Ebri is losing them customers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Here in rural North Wales, up the end of a remote dead end track with no street numbers or property defining addresses, we are fortunate to have a good local Hermes/Evri agent and local driver - who turns up in his private motor.

Often though, whoever I have bought stuff from sends an email link advising of a 2 hour time slot delivery in the morning. Followed shortly by a Hermes/Evri email confirming such. Which is then frequently followed a minute or so later by another Hemes/Evri email stating that they were unable to deliver cos I wasn't in/couldn't locate me*.

Alan the ace chap driver usually turns up the next day. He informs me that the auto email thing about unable to deliver/can't find you doesn't mean that at all - it's just that there weren't enough deliveries in my area on that day, or Alan was having a day off.

Fortunately we also have local living Royal Mail posties who know where all our out of the way, up dead end tracks with no signs homes are.

And Ian the DPD driver who operates out of a Deeside depot is ace too. So is Mike from ParcelForce, who rings me on his personal mobile phone to check I'm going to be in - also from Deeside

UPS NEVER ever deliver on the day scheduled - possible cos their drivers change weekly and cannot get to know where remote unfathomable properties like mine actually are?

Having said that, there has been an improvement with various carriers (apart from UPS) who no longer rely on RM Postcode technology (which is pointless here as it covers 100+ remote addresses and the centre of which is 2 miles from here) so one assumes there are improvements in delivery 'solutions' tech . . . ?

*Unless it's a guaranteed next day delivery.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

I’ve just had an order from Wiggle delivered by Evri - it was the basic free delivery option. It came pretty quick, probably earlier than previous orders, so all good from my perspective.
nico36

Post by nico36 »

I try not to buy from Chain Reaction as they use Hermes/Evri. I live in a block of flats and without fail they never ever deliver to my flat and just leave the parcel in the foyer. Every other courier firm manages to knock on the door and deliver to the flat but not Evri. Very frustrating but every now and again Chain Reaction have bargains on offer and I take the risk of the parcel getting pinched from the front door.