It works, but

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Gee

It works, but

Post by Gee »

My Bachetta Giro 20.

Is there a better way to cable up the rear brake.
Attachments
AE933400-6A32-4F7C-996E-2E135E2A2E91.jpeg
a.twiddler

Re: It works, but

Post by a.twiddler »

The V brake noodle looks longer than the usual noodle you see on a mountain bike for example. If a shorter, smaller radius noodle could be used it could bring the cable more in line with the cable stop. Then a short piece of outer could be used to fill the gap. It might be a tighter curve, but it's got be less draggy than a 360 degree loop. Alternatively there may be such a thing as a flexible noodle available which would serve the same purpose of making alignment with the cable stop easier. I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to give more comprehensive information. On a v brake, which is pretty sharp, you can probably get away with the present set up as it will probably still lock the back wheel.
The feel would be better without that loop.
Gee

Post by Gee »

a.twiddler wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 8:32pm The V brake noodle looks longer than the usual noodle you see on a mountain bike for example. If a shorter, smaller radius noodle could be used it could bring the cable more in line with the cable stop. Then a short piece of outer could be used to fill the gap. It might be a tighter curve, but it's got be less draggy than a 360 degree loop. Alternatively there may be such a thing as a flexible noodle available which would serve the same purpose of making alignment with the cable stop easier. I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to give more comprehensive information. On a v brake, which is pretty sharp, you can probably get away with the present set up as it will probably still lock the back wheel.
The feel would be better without that loop.
I like the idea of a smaller noodle. I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll have a look in the parts box tomorrow.
PH

Post by PH »

As above, flexible noodles exist, plenty of choice, here's an example
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/flex ... 90mm-long/

Another option might be to run a full length inner, tie them to the stops rather than pass through, you could even find a way to use the stop but tie it further back. Without a stop, there's no pressure on the tie, so it doesn't have to be overly secure.
Yet another option, would be to use a V brake with shorter arms, that's if you intend running that size tyre without guards. I think I have some 90mm arms somewhere, these ones or something very similar - PM me if you want them for the postage, I might even have a felxi noodle to go with them.
https://www.bikester.co.uk/shimano-br-r ... gKiDfD_BwE
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

How far forward is the next boss?

If that can't be used how about attaching another boss?

A less wide noodle as above would help. But the further the distance from the last boss to the noodle the less sharp the angle.

This is the same line of thinking as PH's suggestion.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 8:52pmAnother option might be to run a full length inner, tie them to the stops rather than pass through, you could even find a way to use the stop but tie it further back.
That's further forward on the bike?

Jonathan
Gee

Post by Gee »

Cheers everyone,

I think I’ll try a flexible noodle first. A full length outer is also a very workable idea as well.

If anything I could use longer arms on the brakes. When I put the guards on by default they want to sit exactly level with the top of those arms! I had to make a little extension to move it inside.
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 9:08pm That's further forward on the bike?

Jonathan
If you like :wink:
Moving the tie point away from the brake.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks. Yes.

Jonathan.
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

Try doing away with the noodle altogether. The cable stop and the brake look well enough aligned to run a short length of cable from the stop directly to the brake. You will need to use the end off the noodle that goes into the brake.

My 2c,

OB
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

a.twiddler wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 8:32pmIf a shorter, smaller radius noodle could be used it could bring the cable more in line with the cable stop. Then a short piece of outer could be used to fill the gap.
It doesn't just need to align, it needs to be able to float freely enough to allow the brake to move as it's applied. The rigidity of a short length will result in the brake tending to rub on the rim when it's not applied, and reduction of braking force when it is applied. Putting the cable stop in the right place further up the tube is the correct way to fix it, but anything that's clamped on rather than brazed is liable to slip under heavy braking. I'd be inclined to leave it alone unless you can persuade the frame builder to move it for free.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
jb

Post by jb »

Gee wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 7:56pm My Bachetta Giro 20.

Is there a better way to cable up the rear brake.
No, the cable stop is too close.

I see axle nut already addressed it.
Cheers
J Bro
Loomis

Post by Loomis »

Here is the standard set up on my Giro 20
Attachments
IMG_2688.JPG
Loomis

Post by Loomis »

Maybe a better view
Attachments
IMG_2687.JPG
Gee

Post by Gee »

Loomis wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 7:24pm Maybe a better view
Cheers, looks like shorter arms and a shorter noodle.