Re-charging on bikepacking routes?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Peewiglet

Re-charging on bikepacking routes?

Post by Peewiglet »

Hi all,

Does anybody know whether I would be likely to find re-charging facilities at campsites on established cycling routes? I have a Brompton with a Nano conversion, and would probably need to re-charge two batteries each evening. I'd rather camp than use B&B.

Many thanks.
Paulatic

Re: Re-charging on bikepacking routes?

Post by Paulatic »

Firstly you’ll be fortunate to find campsites in the appropriate place on an established cycling routes.
Overcoming that hurdle finding a site that welcomes you then I doubt very much they would refuse to charge some batteries for you. They might ask for a payment but that’s fair enough isn’t it?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Current (!) thread with experiences and tips: "E-Bike touring":
viewtopic.php?t=152787

Jonathan
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Usha Gap farm campsite in Swaledale has a bank of small lockers containing a three-pin and USB socket. You just make a donation to the local Air Ambulance.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I think most camp sites wouldn't be upset at charging an ebike. You're paying for a service and a safe place to pitch, I've never had a problem at sites in the Lake District, but then you are generally paying over the odds to pitch there
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Ings Kippers is my absolute favourite site, it's not cheap, from £20 per pitch but the facilities are top notch and they're a very friendly bunch.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

arnsider wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 8:14am Usha Gap farm campsite in Swaledale has a bank of small lockers containing a three-pin and USB socket. You just make a donation to the local Air Ambulance.
Usha gap brings back memories. 1966 first ever cycle camp. Three lads dropped there by parents with tent and bikes. Donald France ran the Farmers Arms, first of the grey Fergies were coming to the Dale and women worked the hay fields wearing long dresses and head coverings.
Last cycled past around 10 years ago the place is a lot bigger than the wee field by the beck it once was.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I certainly liked Usha Gap. A crowd of us camped there back in the summer and had a cracking ride over Birkdale Common to Nateby and Kirjby Stephen, then took the back roads all the way up to Tan Hill Pub.
It's a bit of a midge hole, but there is a good wild swimming spot in the Swale at Kisden Foss.