The joy of bike riding

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JohnMorgan

Re: The joy of bike riding

Post by JohnMorgan »

My, what a big one!
rmaxted

Post by rmaxted »

SummerRibble.jpg
The joy of new bike..well sort of ..just over a month old. My first carbon / 11 speed / hydraulical thingy. Frankly its all a bit mid-life crisis delayed to 60 something but I am having a lot of fun going much faster round my local patch. Its encouraged me to up my "quick afterwork ride" distance to 20-30 miles and my afternoons out to 40+. Starting to play out further away from home and see how I do on some of the Wolds climbs east of York.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

PXL_20220911_104942296.jpg
Brought this in 1996 for £60.
It's used to get me to school, evening work, rugby, strap my rod to it and go of fishing.

It later became a London Commuter. Single speed on death of the original drive chain. Lived on the river and used for coaching rowing crews from the bank.

Back at my parents for the last decade with its original 3x7 configuration. Gets used sparingly.

Today I took my 6 year old on the old routes I took to school. The marathon pluses were not really for the off road tracks, and the reach a bit unusual by modern standards. But still a great fun ride, even if I did lose the front brake somewhere along the way....
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Back to the Joy of being out on the bike - from tonight, a definate feel of autumn now, enjoying the cooler air
Lokking south over the borders to the Cheviots

a river with water in it - it's been a while
Last edited by Pebble on 13 Sep 2022, 9:11am, edited 1 time in total.
Halla

Post by Halla »

PLEASE KEEP THIS ON THE SUBJECT AND NOT LET IT DRIFT ABOUT OTHER MATTERS.

It is a pleasure to see good pictures taken whilst out riding.

The rubbish about mud flaps should be posted elsewhere.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Chill Mr capitals.
IMG_20200812_133821239.jpg

Regular jaunt of mine to a favourite place.

Very close to what is quite possibly the best view from a church porch in the entire country.

One from you for the thread?
Sweep
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Halla wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 8:44am PLEASE KEEP THIS ON THE SUBJECT AND NOT LET IT DRIFT ABOUT OTHER MATTERS.

Halloo Halla!

It's all my fault for posting exagerated flaps. I do hope the wordy detritus has not caused idea-flies to pester ye.

Here's some more pics then.
A cyclist goes up Jubilee Tower climb from Quernmore
A cyclist goes up Jubilee Tower climb from Quernmore
Clougha Pike in The Bowland Fells.
Clougha Pike in The Bowland Fells.
A nice wee god-bothering spot in Lampeter..
A nice wee god-bothering spot in Lampeter..
Not a bike shed but a cake shed.
Not a bike shed but a cake shed.
How dare you beat me for the village sign, boy!
How dare you beat me for the village sign, boy!
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

What a great thread this is, I’ve really enjoyed reading and looking at it. :D More please!

The diversion above … well it might have been off-topic but on the other hand the joys of cycling do include both helping others and receiving help from kind hearted, able and well meaning folk - extending the hand(s) of friendship. I found the diversion helpful too, timely even, I already have the tools and raw material required - item 593 on my to do list. :wink:

Posting photos is outside of my skill-set, and anyway my bike’s nothing special to look at and I just ride in ordinary places. I’ve nothing particularly inspiring or particularly joyful to post to the thread, but I did enjoy two (cycling) hours out with the dog in the woods this morning. :)

Edit. As Vorpol’s post below the ‘diversion’ has been moved to: viewtopic.php?t=142279&start=45

I suppose it’s usefully placed there, but surely there’s more in life to get upset about than a bit of thread drift. :roll:
Last edited by Carlton green on 13 Sep 2022, 3:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Just on the ferry to Islay after coming across Arran yesterday afternoon (following a hassle free train journey from Hertfordshire).
Have forsaken the road bike for an old mountain bike, as there are a couple of gravel trails I'd like to explore.
Sun's out, and all's well in this tiny corner of the world.
Attachments
20220912_180423.jpg
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Commute home one night last week after setting off in the rain.

20220908_183500.jpg
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Halla wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 8:44am PLEASE KEEP THIS ON THE SUBJECT AND NOT LET IT DRIFT ABOUT OTHER MATTERS.

I have moved the 'rubbish' about mudflaps to an existing topic on this very subject

viewtopic.php?t=142279
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mig

Post by mig »

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 4&t=164713

similar thread elsewhere. hope it doesn't break forum etiquette but i thought people may be interested in the images.
GrahamJ

Post by GrahamJ »

On the track along Loch Gleann Dubh near Kylesku. A bridge was closed for repairs.
1-gd.JPG

At the head of the loch.
2-gd.JPG

Track along R Dionard, between Foinaven and Cranstackie.
3-d.JPG

Loch Dionard and some interesting geology.
4-d.JPG

Gleann Mor, west of Ardgay.
5-to-dl.JPG
GrahamJ

Post by GrahamJ »

Loch Gaineimh near Altnabreac. Quite likely no one else was sleeping within 4km of me that night.
6-altna.JPG

Faraid Head, about a week ago. Only a few miles from my house, though not an easy ride due to vast quantities of sand. My last chance this year to see the sun set into the sea nearby.
7-fh.JPG
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Calm down Mr Apples....