Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by mjr »

Dingdong wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 10:09amI've placed an early bet on the outcome of the Tory leadership challenge. I got 11/2 on who I believe is an outstanding candidate whom the party will eventually rally behind. If it comes in, I'll get a new air source system for the house.
🤣🤣🤣 if you really bet at "11/2 on" then you'll only get 18% of your stake back!

But I expect you're just confusing it with 11/2 against, because surely it'd be unethical for a professional bookmaker to take such a bet from someone who clearly didn't understand the odds?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

mjr wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 3:14pm
Dingdong wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 10:09amI've placed an early bet on the outcome of the Tory leadership challenge. I got 11/2 on who I believe is an outstanding candidate whom the party will eventually rally behind. If it comes in, I'll get a new air source system for the house.
🤣🤣🤣 if you really bet at "11/2 on" then you'll only get 18% of your stake back!

But I expect you're just confusing it with 11/2 against, because surely it'd be unethical for a professional bookmaker to take such a bet from someone who clearly didn't understand the odds?
If you had the command of English I presume you 'think' you have it would be obvious I got odds of 11/2... ON a individual. Jeez. Education today....

For your educational benefit, odds of 11/2 are extremely good. For every £2 bet, there's a return of £11 profit. If my bet pays out (it does pay to read the previous posts) I'll be able to fund an LG air source heat pump system. If you had been nice, I might have given you my insider tip. Still a lot of money to be made on the current betting at Ladbrokes though. Some people just shouldn't bet, that much is self evident.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

For any winning bet, you get 100% of your stake back, and in this case it would be with an additional 18% of winnings on top of that. Now, I don't bet, but nor do I know any investment that will pay me 18% interest. So laugh if you want, but if dingdong has the money to spare, then its their money and their choice.

And a 5/6 on bet is exactly the same as a 5/6 bet or a 5:6 or 5/6 to win or which ever way you want to express it to a bookmaker. The "on" or "to win" (both mean same thing) is implied unless you specifically state something different such as against, to place or each way.
PH

Post by PH »

As the betting has taken a hold on this thread...
Currently
Sunak 1.19 (81%)
Johnson 6.6 (15%)

I backed Johnson at 6.2 and laid that off when the odds shortened to 3.4, I've already won, though it's not a fortune!
Also had four 50p bets on outsiders, can currently cash those out for about 3p each.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Are bookies giving odds on Armageddon triggered by use of a tactical nuclear weapon in Ukraine?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mordaunt has let it be known that Johnson asked her to drop out and support him:
https://twitter.com/PA/status/1584196982163529728

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 19.07.47.png
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/ ... 8bc54cf4a8

There are internal reasons that suggest that this is misinformation.

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I’m confused (often).

Are you saying that someone is pretending to be Alex Wickham, and is circulating fake news in his name, or that the real Mr Alex Wickham is circulating news that is probably fake, and if the latter, are you suggesting that he, the real Mr Alex Wickham, concocted it, or that the source which he cites concocted it, or that someone who wasn’t the real Mr Heaton-Harris concocted it?
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

PH wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 4:24pm As the betting has taken a hold on this thread...
Currently
Sunak 1.19 (81%)
Johnson 6.6 (15%)

I backed Johnson at 6.2 and laid that off when the odds shortened to 3.4, I've already won, though it's not a fortune!
Also had four 50p bets on outsiders, can currently cash those out for about 3p each.
There are enough Tories who will either abstain or vote erratically enough to mean that Boris's share of the winning numbers is at best unattainable and at worst, downright embarrassing. Mordaunt was right to stand her ground, because with her in the mix and a potential 160-190 vote for Sunak, she will be the axe which divides the Johnson vote. It's still not too late to put a bet on, but remember kids: never bet what you can't afford to lose :mrgreen:
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Johnson will not stand, as too scared to face humiliation of low vote. Maximum of 70-80 .Mordaunt stuck at 40 means Sunak will walk it.Very shrewd and resisted temptation to humble Truss and co.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Johnson has pulled out.

Jonathan

PS: The usual jokes are now available.

Last edited by Jdsk on 23 Oct 2022, 9:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Johnson never pulled in TBF
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

With the ERG meeting tomorrow to form "policy" it's difficult to know Johnson's prospects. Many in ERG love Johnson 'cos he did Brexit but there are some notable powerful exceptions e.g. Steve Baker. So difficult to guess what will happen.

And with Johnson's ongoing lies and deception we'll never know as Johnson's support hinges on him be successful and to admit he's not got the support makes him unsuccessful and the bubble's burst. So he'll lie and make himself out to be a great success and if he doesn't get the numbers he'll concoct some reason for deciding he doesn't want to stand "at this time".

As others said above, ego and narcissism drives Johnson and he will likely be scared of being a two-time loser.

Very likely he does not currently have the necessary support as if he did he'd not have asked Mordant to step down.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Psamathe wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 9:30pm ...
As others said above, ego and narcissism drives Johnson and he will likely be scared of being a two-time loser.

Very likely he does not currently have the necessary support as if he did he'd not have asked Mordant to step down.

Ian
Thought so (but not quite so soon)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/23/rishi-sunak-surges-ahead-in-tory-leadership-race-as-rivals-struggle-to-gain-support wrote:Sunak clear frontrunner as Johnson pulls out of No 10 race
Boris Johnson has withdrawn from the race to be Conservative leader, leaving Rishi Sunak as the clear frontrunner to be prime minister.
In a statement, Johnson claimed to have won the support of 102 colleagues – two clear of the threshold needed – but only about 60 had publicly stated their support for him
Ian
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 9:09pm Johnson has pulled out.

Jonathan

PS: The usual jokes are now available.

No words.
10798706.jpg