Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Dingdong

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by Dingdong »

Nearholmer wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 10:28am Good definition of nemesis.

Hubris?
Our local MP drinks in the pub next to my favourite bookies, I would describe him as a chronic gambler, ie he doesn't know when to walk away. His passion is the horses, which is something I tend to avoid. He famously lost the keys to his car a few years back over a horse. Nice guy, effective politician, but an incoherent gambler. Never gamble what you can can't afford to lose.

Have I pumped him for the inside track on the upcoming leadership elections? You bet I have! (Pardon the pun).
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Dingdong wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 10:09am
Nearholmer wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 7:10am
doesn't even qualify you to clean my boots.
Hubris; nemesis.
Nemesis: A source of ruin or harm.

Rule #1: Never gamble what you can't afford to lose. I've placed an early bet on the outcome of the Tory leadership challenge. I got 11/2 on who I believe is an outstanding candidate whom the party will eventually rally behind. If it comes in, I'll get a new air source system for the house.

If you are nice bunnies, I might give you my tip.

To say that gambling is an 'underclass' problem is ludicrous. On the racecourse, and in the bookies I've stood next to the landed gentry many times. It's a staple of aristocracy. A few years ago I had the privilege (some may not think so) of having a post race drink with a close blood relative of King Charles, who not 30 minutes earlier had dropped half a million on a horse at Ascot. He didn't seem overly distressed.

His "punishment" was to sleep in the car that night. And not in his usual £800 a night hotel. Gambling is very good fun, and I wouldn't do it unless I enjoyed it and it brought no financial harm to me or my family. On the contrary, through judicious research, and 'good luck' I'm well up on the bookies, over my lifetime. How much, I would rather not say.
So, every gambler should be a canny & clever fellow like yourself, eh? Alas, millions aren't.

Personally I look at your advice to "never gamble what you can't afford" like this: I can't "afford" to hand free money to any bookies as they already have far too much of it. Also, "what I can afford" is a very slippery concept, as all loan sharks know.

One question: do you ever cheat? :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

What is notable about the current farce is that literally nobody involved has said the slightest thing about what policies they want enacted to help the country from its current absolute mess.

Can't get an ambulance, afford to heat your home, even feed your children?

Who cares? Are you #ready4rish! or #bringbackboris is what matters.

General election now.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

The juxtaposition of the arrogance of these clowns against the stinking mess they've caused for the last twelve years is so extreme it defies metaphors to describe it.

The sewerage filled reality chasm dividing the Tory party from sanity is about the best I can manage.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Boris support is already waning - my money* is still on the dream ticket being in place tomorrow afternoon - Rishi PM, Penny FS, Hunt CX.

*This is virtual money by the way, I don't want to be considered one of the feckless poor :lol:
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

he doesn't know when to walk away
That goes to one part of the meaning of hubris, but not really the other part, which is about excessive pride.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 10:59am What is notable about the current farce is that literally nobody involved has said the slightest thing about what policies they want enacted to help the country from its current absolute mess.

Can't get an ambulance, afford to heat your home, even feed your children?

General election now.
I don't think the country is relevant to what the Conservative Party is doing at the moment. Higher priority is their self-interest. They gave us Truss and millions will be paying for that for many years. Now, just a few weeks later and without any apology nor any regret they are re-choosing who can best serve their self-interest now. ...

Ian
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 10:59amCan't get an ambulance, afford to heat your home, even feed your children?

General election now.
Quite, and it seems some people are so offended by Johnson that they're actually speaking positively about Sunak even though there is very little positive if you look at his record, not least that he was more than happy to serve as chancellor under him for a fair time despite clearly having knowledge of many of the matters (covid rules etc) that eventually felled Johnson.

Fully expect Sunak to actually be worse than Johnson when it comes to certain areas like net zero, active/sustainable transport and austerity. He may well present competence and less corruption (or at least hide it better) but any glance at his record to date makes it clear he will be just as damaging to this country.

If it weren't for the prospect of the viciously awful patel back in the home office I think I'm almost seeing Johnson as the least worst outcome here if only because of bigger chance of early GE via VoNC.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Stevek76 wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 12:54pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 10:59amCan't get an ambulance, afford to heat your home, even feed your children?

General election now.
Quite, and it seems some people are so offended by Johnson that they're actually speaking positively about Sunak even though there is very little positive if you look at his record, not least that he was more than happy to serve as chancellor under him for a fair time despite clearly having knowledge of many of the matters (covid rules etc) that eventually felled Johnson.
e.g. "Eat Out to Help Out" which was blames for big increases in covid transmission (and thus deaths). Certainly appeared/pushed as Sunak's idea.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 1:00pm

General election now.
e.g. "Eat Out to Help Out" which was blames for big increases in covid transmission (and thus deaths). Certainly appeared/pushed as Sunak's idea.
In the previous campaign he suggested that during the outbreak they listened to scientists too much and didn't listen to him enough:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ponse.html

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 23 Oct 2022, 1:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

General election now.

Fully expect Sunak to actually be worse than Johnson when it comes to certain areas like net zero, active/sustainable transport and austerity. He may well present competence and less corruption (or at least hide it better) but any glance at his record to date makes it clear he will be just as damaging to this country.

If it weren't for the prospect of the viciously awful patel back in the home office I think I'm almost seeing Johnson as the least worst outcome here if only because of bigger chance of early GE via VoNC.
Sunak also played a key role in bringing in fringe scientists prior to second lock down, looking for advisors who would give advice he could agree with. Not a hopeful sign for a prime minister.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Bonefishblues wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 11:02am Boris support is already waning - my money* is still on the dream ticket being in place tomorrow afternoon - Rishi PM, Penny FS, Hunt CX.

*This is virtual money by the way, I don't want to be considered one of the feckless poor :lol:
Ah ha! Words are a window into the wetware, tha knows.

"....dream ticket [of three bashers-of-the-poor, from feckless to fully-fecked - aren't we all]" This indicates to me that you may be one of the feckless well-orf. happy for the status quo of City and Big Business raping & pillaging to continue, with the rest of us as the fodder in their various satanic mills!

You do realise, don't you, that when I'm dictator, it'll all be different? For a start, the feckless well-orf (those rentiers, shareholders, gambling emporium proprietors & employees and other suckers on the paltry wealths of the poor who actually produce real goods & services) .... those money-suckers will all receive a comeuppance that will be both imaginatively retributive but also very socially useful.

Examples:

* Collecting sea-logs of human ordure followed by various manual treatments (probably with the feet) to make them into fine fertiliser (water company shareholders).

* Refurbishing formerly rented, now gifted-to-tenants properties, to a high standard inclusive of insulation et al, until their robbed-money is gone (rentiers).

* Working in the hospital wards and care homes tending to the messier needs of those made sick or otherwise degraded by government policies (tories).

* Etc..

Cugel, over-reacting to the stench of post-modern Tory crimes and the spivs committing them.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Stevek76 wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 12:54pm ...
One potential benefit from a Johnson return is that he'll split the Conservative MPs and will find he's unable to do much and nothing controversial or extreme. And in 2 years next General Election Labour will find campaigning against Johnson easier than Sunak. so 2 years of farce achieveing little for a better chance of Labour then taking over.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cugel wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 1:04pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 11:02am Boris support is already waning - my money* is still on the dream ticket being in place tomorrow afternoon - Rishi PM, Penny FS, Hunt CX.

Ah ha! Words are a window into the wetware, tha knows.

"....dream ticket [of three bashers-of-the-poor, from feckless to fully-fecked - aren't we all]" This indicates to me that you may be one of the feckless well-orf. happy for the status quo of City and Big Business raping & pillaging to continue, with the rest of us as the fodder in their various satanic mills!

You do realise, don't you, that when I'm dictator, it'll all be different? For a start, the feckless well-orf (those rentiers, shareholders, gambling emporium proprietors & employees and other suckers on the paltry wealths of the poor who actually produce real goods & services) .... those money-suckers will all receive a comeuppance that will be both imaginatively retributive but also very socially useful.

Examples:

* Collecting sea-logs of human ordure followed by various manual treatments (probably with the feet) to make them into fine fertiliser (water company shareholders).

* Refurbishing formerly rented, now gifted-to-tenants properties, to a high standard inclusive of insulation et al, until their robbed-money is gone (rentiers).

* Working in the hospital wards and care homes tending to the messier needs of those made sick or otherwise degraded by government policies (tories).

* Etc..

Cugel, over-reacting to the stench of post-modern Tory crimes and the spivs committing them.
I am well-off in relative terms, and certainly more so than my/our parents.

I am also profoundly affected by my background, as are we all.

That is why your supposition is so offensive to me.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I'm appalled that so many Tory MPs can contemplate bringing Boris back. It shows a terrible lack of good judgement. I somehow think Jeremy Hunt would have difficulty working in a BoJo cabinet.