Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jois

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by jois »

Psamathe wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 4:58pm
jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 4:50pm
Psamathe wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 4:26pm
Increasing domestic gas production will not lower the price of gas. Gas prices are set internationally and does anybody believe the fracking companies are going to sell their gas to UK much cheaper than they could internationally because it's extracted from the UK?

If we want cheap energy and energy security then we are better off investing in renewables.

Ian
They tend to have an issue with the dark and a lack of wind and more of an issue that many people believe them unsightly, on shore wind farms are I think baned, miles and miles of solar panels don't look great either. I'm sure their are objectors to off shore farms as well. Nuclear get most people hot and bothered

What ever the actual answer is both to energy security and price which are slightly different issues a large contingent will object, probably much the same contingent will complain about all of them in either general terms or NIMBY terms.

We are sat on a island of coal with it seems substantial gas reserved in the rock and more as yet untapped in the North sea, it seems some what ungreatful to the god of tectonic plates not to use some of it

NB oil is a renewable energy source, just saying
You have listed a narrow range. Arguments like wind power when the wind isn't blowing or solar power at night are historic - storage. And as you say, we are an island and thus we have a lot of coastline and we also have good reliable tides that flow at different times at different bits of the coast. Tidal power does not obscure views or anything so difficult to see why you'd get a large contingent objecting.

You suggest burning hydrocarbons because we have plenty/ Maybe you haven't heard but that is destroying the climate planet wide with devastating impacts (including on the UK) so to continue such practices when we have non-polluting alternatives is just beyond daft.

Ian
So off sure wave capture won't get objectors ? I'm not so sure, how many miles of coast line do we need to replace our other energy sources? If it's as much as Australia we could have a problem and out tides may be reliable but not generally very large, surfing is rare off the Lancashire coast were the fracking gas is.

And how big do these batteries have to be to supply the whole country if it's a cold dark wind free fortnight ?

I'm not greatly convinced by the climate change we are all going to boil to death in our own juices argument to be honest.

But carbon capture technology could be used if your of that mind set
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Aside from the merely wrong of the rest of your post, this shows an disregard of reality so extreme you may shortly be offered the post of Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Last edited by roubaixtuesday on 29 Sep 2022, 6:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Wave power does not have significant potential in the UK.

See for instance https://www.withouthotair.com/c12/page_73.shtml
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Meanwhile, back on topic, it seems the moron premium applies to opinion polling as well as government bond pricing.

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 54% (+9)
CON: 21% (-7)
LDEM: 7% (-2)
GRN: 6% (-1)

(!!)

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/statu ... 1101245440
jois

Post by jois »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 6:25pm
Aside from the merely wrong of the rest of your post, this shows an disregard of reality so extreme you may shortly be offered the post of Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Are you saying it isn't ? It's not quick I grant you but definetly renewable
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Liz has suggested
Liz Truss has urged Nicola Sturgeon to follow her lead with tax cuts that could "turbocharge" Scotland's economy.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63078359
What planet is she on? I’ve just read a page of vox pop in our local paper ( a Tory stronghold) where all but one were happy to pay more tax to keep what we have.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 6:32pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 6:25pm
Are you saying it isn't ? It's not quick I grant you but definetly renewable
I suggest you get your job application in now. Kwarteng may well not last the week.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 5:25pm
out tides may be reliable but not generally very large, surfing is rare off the Lancashire coast were the fracking gas is.

Britain has some of the biggest and strongest tides in the world.
The Severn Estuary is second only to the Bay of Fundy in range.
The Pentland Firth has tides powerful enough to threaten ships.
Look them up.
The west and north Scottish coast and Cornwall are exposed to North Atlantic weather,which is famously rough. The Northern Isles might have been designed for wind, wave and tidal generation (perhaps by Slartibartfast.)
I cannot think why you want wave power to be adjacent to Lancashire, in the Irish Sea, i.e. sheltered by Ireland.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 29 Sep 2022, 6:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
jois

Post by jois »

Mike Sales wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 6:38pm
out tides may be reliable but not generally very large, surfing is rare off the Lancashire coast were the fracking gas is.

Look them up.
The west and north Scottish coast and Cornwall are exposed to North Atlantic weather,which is famously rough. The Northern Isles might have been designed for wind, wave and tidal generation.
I cannot think why you want wave power to be adjacent to Lancashire, in the Irish Sea, i.e. sheltered by Ireland.
How much of our power generation can we get from these few issolated places. It's reaso:able question if your putting them forward as a source for meeting out energy needs
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Radio 4's Inside Science had a lot to say about fracking today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001cf2d
The government has lifted a moratorium on fracking imposed in 2019 following a series of small earthquakes caused by exploratory drilling. The British Geological Survey was asked to investigate, we speak to two of the authors of their new report into fracking and earthquakes, seismologist Brian Baptie and Geologist Ed Hough.

We also look at more practical aspects of fracking in the UK with Professor Richard Davies from Newcastle University, asking how to viably extract shale gas in the UK and whether, with concerns over climate change, we should really be contemplating this at all.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 6:47pm

Look them up.
The west and north Scottish coast and Cornwall are exposed to North Atlantic weather,which is famously rough. The Northern Isles might have been designed for wind, wave and tidal generation.

How much of our power generation can we get from these few issolated places
. It's reaso:able question if your putting them forward as a source for meeting out energy needs
Estimates for the Seven Estuary are around 5% of total uk demand.
jois

Post by jois »

Look them up.
Never mind googled it myself, up to 15% give or take with possibly catastrophic consequences to marine eco systems, so it says. That will get the hug a cod protesters out in force
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 6:47pm How much of our power generation can we get from these few issolated places. It's reaso:able question if your putting them forward as a source for meeting out energy needs
I could have mentioned many other places on our coasts with big tidal ranges and/or fast flowing tidal currents. To list them all would have been tedious.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 6:59pm
Never mind googled it myself, up to 15% give or take with possibly catastrophic consequences to marine eco systems, so it says. That will get the hug a cod protesters out in force
A link might have been more convincing.
jois

Post by jois »

Mike Sales wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 7:02pm
jois wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 6:47pm How much of our power generation can we get from these few issolated places. It's reaso:able question if your putting them forward as a source for meeting out energy needs
I could have mentioned many other places on our coasts with big tidal ranges and/or fast flowing tidal currents. To list them all would have been tedious.
Never mind 15% is the estimate for the whole coast line according to some univerity study

Along with possibly severely damaged marine eco systems, we just seem to be moving the problem. It's not clear how many trillions this will cost or what the unit price will be