Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by reohn2 »

Debs wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 12:25pm One U turn down, and (at least) two more to go:

Removing the cap on bankers bonuses

Borrowing mega-bucks to pay the greedy energy suppliers ransom demands, instead of windfall taxing their massive profits.
We can but hope!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 1:21pm
Nearholmer wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 10:20am
.......I don’t like their policies, but the bit that really gets me is how cr@p they are at the bare basics of management ……. It’s totally staggering!
Ain't that the Truth?

"How to alienate yourself from the public and your own party in one easy step"
Could be the title of Kwarteng and Truss' new book on the economy :lol: :lol: :roll:
They are implementing the unpublished sequel to "Britainnia Unchained"

"Britainnia Unhinged"
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

It's pretty worrying when the first thing a new PM/Chancellor do crashes the pound, collapses the markets, big interest rate rises, etc. then as they start to unwind it they come-up with "I learnt that lesson".

How many more lessons do they still have to learn and can the country survive that many disasters?

It's a country they are running not some school experiment where you learn from your mistakes.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 2:49pm
reohn2 wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 1:21pm
Nearholmer wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 10:20am
.......I don’t like their policies, but the bit that really gets me is how cr@p they are at the bare basics of management ……. It’s totally staggering!
Ain't that the Truth?

"How to alienate yourself from the public and your own party in one easy step"
Could be the title of Kwarteng and Truss' new book on the economy :lol: :lol: :roll:
They are implementing the unpublished sequel to "Britainnia Unchained"

"Britainnia Unhinged"
Very well put(many a true word,etc) :lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 10:02amNext up is the Chancellor's speech this afternoon. My guess is that the conference now won't be looking for blood.
ConservativeHome on the reaction:
https://conservativehome.com/2022/10/03 ... amp-squib/

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What the business minister Reece Mogg would like to do to UK labour rights:- https://www.ft.com/content/799ed62c-86b ... 553c6e47ec
Thankfully even Truss could see that wouldn't work..... .....though it does show what Dickensian attitudes some Tories have toward workers rights.

EDIT:- OTOH Truss may have another nasty trick up her sleeve:- https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63125506

EDIT:- to add:- https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... hris-philp
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Marr telling it like it is(2.28 of your time):- https://youtu.be/HnPBVUz6Zl8
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks R2, but I couldn't stand listening to him for anything over one minute, let alone watching him! :shock:
Grief, what a horrible speaker.

I'm glad we don't own a telly if that's what they put on.
Not that I don't agree with him, but goodness me. Shut up! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 10:08am Thanks R2, but I couldn't stand listening to him for anything over one minute, let alone watching him! :shock:

I agree. Never managed to listen to him on the radio either but that video ... I didn't even make 1 minute. Which is a shame as good content lost because of bad (professional) presenter.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 10:56am
Mick F wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 10:08am Thanks R2, but I couldn't stand listening to him for anything over one minute, let alone watching him! :shock:

I agree. Never managed to listen to him on the radio either but that video ... I didn't even make 1 minute. Which is a shame as good content lost because of bad (professional) presenter.

Ian
You are both aware that he had a massive stroke a very few years ago, that he was fortunate to survive, never mind recover from to the extent he has? It continues to affect him.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 11:01am

Ian
You are both aware that he had a massive stroke a very few years ago, that he was fortunate to survive, never mind recover from to the extent he has? It continues to affect him.
My not being able to listen to him goes back long before several years ago.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 11:16am
Bonefishblues wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 11:01am

Ian
My not being able to listen to him goes back long before several years ago.

Ian
I am surprised you attempted to view then, given your aversion goes back some years - probably best to avoid him completely.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 8:54am
That's something I've never agreed with, people having to work for theit dole money. If these jobs need doing then unemployed people should be employed to do them and paid the proper rate for the job.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 11:37am
reohn2 wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 8:54am
That's something I've never agreed with, people having to work for theit dole money. If these jobs need doing then unemployed people should be employed to do them and paid the proper rate for the job.
Indeed. And if claimants are forced to work, when will they get time to apply for jobs, go to interviews and so on? You could even start to think the Conservatives are more interested in providing businesses with an effectively-trapped cheap labour force than in getting people off the dole and benefits, couldn't you?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but I have to say that Mr Philp comes across as a particularly unpleasant piece of work to me.