Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by pwa »

Cugel wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 11:59am
reohn2 wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 9:55am
Bonefishblues wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 9:45am I didn't invite comment Mick, I was informing you. As R2 suggests, best avoid - but to do that is to miss the views an incisive commentator, very well connected, and now free of the 'BBC shackles'
Quite!
Marr is as you say an incisive commentator now free of shackles of an increasingly fearful BBC.
To write off his comments due to his delivery is to throw the baby out with the bath water!
The BBC isn't "fearful". It's been suborned by the same spivs and gangsters populating the extreme right wing "think tanks" who've suborned the Tory party.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... programmes

A quote:

"Day after day, year after year, the BBC has provided these extremists with a massive platform on its news and current affairs programmes. Major BBC programmes including Today, Question Time, Newsnight and Any Questions? are populated by speakers from the Institute of Economic Affairs, the Adam Smith Institute, the Taxpayers’ Alliance, the Centre for Policy Studies and Policy Exchange. These groups also happen to have been rated by the campaign Who Funds You? as among the most opaque of all those it investigated.

When the IEA complained to Ofcom about the broadcaster James O’Brien’s description of the institute as a “hard-right lobby group for vested interests of big business, fossil fuels, tobacco, junk food” on his LBC show, Ofcom rejected its complaint, ruling that he had not distorted the facts. Yet the combined platform of these dark-money groups on the BBC is surely many times bigger than that of any other non-party grouping".

Face it. We've all been "owned" by these New Model Aristocrats for decades, with their power now so well-established in the various cultural and governmental institutions that they now feel free to boast about it openly, after working in their dark closets for years and years to achieve what they now fully posses - unlimited and unfettered access to the levers of policy and the agencies that enforce it.

Incidentally, why do you think Bokum & pals wanted to manipulate the appointment of the Ofcom chief so that the media hoodlum and Daily Hate Main Chief Guttersnipe, Paul Dacre, got the job?

Cugel
But if the Right Wing have so much control over the levers, why are Labour doing so well in the polls? To me, it looks increasingly gloomy for anyone wanting to see a Tory victory at the next General Election, and increasingly hopeful for the rest of us. Politically at least, the clouds seem to be lifting.

I get a lot of my basic news from the BBC, but I think I still manage to form less than favourable opinions about how the Government are performing. If the Government are pulling strings, they aren't doing it very well.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I sometimes fail to appreciate the complexities of modern western economies but I can never get my head round how perpetual growth is an enclosed system (Planet Earth) is sustainable. But Daggers seems obsessed to the point where the only thing on her priority list is "growth" (by her own admission). No prioritising inflation, nor poverty, nor levelling-up, nor NI protocol, nor etc., only growth. I'd have hoped our Prime Minister was open to addressing some of the other pressing issues facing the country as a priority.

Ian
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I can never get my head round how perpetual growth is an enclosed system (Planet Earth) is sustainable
On the present model of "growth", it simply isn't, but .......

I struggle with it a bit too, but the "size" of an economy is actually about the rate of flow of money around it, so I suppose one could imagine an economy that is simultaneously growing, spinning faster, and is environmentally sustainable, but it seems counterintuitive, and I dont see any sign that the growth proposed (dreampt of?) is being bent in the direction of sustainability.

The hope seems to be that the growth postulated will provide the gateway to deal with all the other pressing needs ("Grow the cake" as JR-M keeps saying), but even if the growth strategy works, the timescales don't ..... the flywheel can't spin-up fast enough. If (huge if) it did all work, and money started to whizz round the economy in large volume, very soon, there would be the opportunity to pipe some of that money through the problem areas, and solve the problems. If, if, if.

What they seem to be doing is implementing the thesis set out in their book "Bittania Unchained", which, even if it was viable at the time it was written (and a lot of critics say it wasn't), was written in a very, very different time.
Last edited by Nearholmer on 5 Oct 2022, 1:19pm, edited 2 times in total.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Cugel wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 12:04pm
Debs wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 11:36am Petition

Call an immediate general election to end the chaos of the current government

Call an immediate general election so that the people can decide who should lead us through the unprecedented crises threatening the UK.

Sign this petition

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/619781
I wouldn't trust "the people" to make any sort of reasoned choice. We'll largely choose who the mass media tell us to choose. Guess what their recommendation will be.

Also, you must have noticed that the current faux government couldn't give a toss for what would be in the best interests of "people". We are all Ayn Randian second-raters, as far as they're concerned. Losers, due to being lazy, workshy and not good enough at rabid exploitation of others.

Cugel the Doom Monger
It would be nice if we could kick this hideous administration out of office without suffering it until a 2024 GE.
Opinion polls look very much like this Tory Cabal is already well out of favour so the sheeple people must have become more than dimly aware.

Debs - currently listening to Pink Floyd Animals
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel
Whilst I agree the BBC is giving voice these people,when I posted that the BBC was fearful,I meant fearful of it's funding,which is in the hands of government and hasn't been threatened before the Tories came to power.
It's a very sad state of affairs and yet another reason the Tory party need ousting and if possible destroying in the process!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 12:08pm But if the Right Wing have so much control over the levers, why are Labour doing so well in the polls? To me, it looks increasingly gloomy for anyone wanting to see a Tory victory at the next General Election, and increasingly hopeful for the rest of us. Politically at least, the clouds seem to be lifting.

I get a lot of my basic news from the BBC, but I think I still manage to form less than favourable opinions about how the Government are performing. If the Government are pulling strings, they aren't doing it very well.
It seems to me the Tories are well into the process of cooking their golden goose,it started with Johnson and his inept and self glorifying government,now imploding with the hopeless Truss at the helm.

BTW I too rely on the BBC for news but at the same time try my best,as with any news outlet,to read inbetween the lines as I feel sure you do.
W H Auden
Debs

Post by Debs »

reohn2 wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 1:25pm BTW I too rely on the BBC for news but at the same time try my best,as with any news outlet,to read inbetween the lines as I feel sure you do.
This is what the BBC is deliberately not reporting about the Tory Conference:

cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

I liked the way Liz Truss didn't contact the artists who had wrote and sung the song that was played when she walked onto the stage, to get their permission...
..demonstrating her complete inability to do any ground work, or her propensity to steal things which do belong to her.

Rather excited about being part of an anti-economic growth coalition (as I am a trade unionist and an environmental campaigner). I do wonder how may people she has alienated in just that one speech :-)

Economic growth, yes within reason, but not at the expense of the overall quality of life, which I believe is what your party is insisting on, Liz*... oops did someone mention global warming? :-D

(*and whilst you may be PM don't forget currently it is the members of your own party who voted for you... outside of this cabal.. you are not very well thought of at all, and your speech has made it all the more difficult for you).
Last edited by cycle tramp on 5 Oct 2022, 2:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Something of an omission, since it gave her the opportunity to absolutely lambast the Tories
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

To quote Frankie Boyle 'Liz Truss was chosen by alot of old people who made their decision in a heat wave. That's never going to be good'.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

cycle tramp wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 2:50pm I liked the way Liz Truss didn't contact the artists who had wrote and sung the song that was played when she walked onto the stage, to get their permission...
..demonstrating her complete inability to do any ground work, or her propensity to steal things which do belong to her.
And looks like they also never actually listened to the lyrics:
  • You've done me wrong, your time is up
    You took a sip from the devil's cup
    You broke my heart, there's no way back
    Move right out of here, baby, go on pack your bags

Looks list they just read the title and that was the depth of their understanding - that said they probably spent longer on the song that on thinking about the impact of their policies

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Debs wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 2:08pm
reohn2 wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 1:25pm BTW I too rely on the BBC for news but at the same time try my best,as with any news outlet,to read inbetween the lines as I feel sure you do.
This is what the BBC is deliberately not reporting about the Tory Conference:

Phil's not wrong,and as I posted before:-
It seems to me the Tories are well into the process of cooking their golden goose,it started with Johnson and his inept and self glorifying government,now imploding with the hopeless Truss at the helm
On the one hand I'm loving it,on the other I'm embaressed to see such a complete and utterly incompetent bunch of swivel eyed nutters running my country.
When does the UK general electorate learn that these people are all for themselves and those rich barstewards funding them?
Last edited by reohn2 on 5 Oct 2022, 3:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 3:25pm
cycle tramp wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 2:50pm I liked the way Liz Truss didn't contact the artists who had wrote and sung the song that was played when she walked onto the stage, to get their permission...
And looks like they also never actually listened to the lyrics:

Looks list they just read the title and that was the depth of their understanding - that said they probably spent longer on the song that on thinking about the impact of their policies

Ian
Remember the last one for Saint Theresa:-

Things can only get better.....

Well they haven't!

PS,at least she didn't dance.......
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Just had breaking news flash come up on phone "Pound weakens and government borrowing costs rise again after Truss speech".
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 3:47pm Just had breaking news flash come up on phone "Pound weakens and government borrowing costs rise again after Truss speech".
Is that surprising? :?
W H Auden