Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
robing

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by robing »

Is there any support for this new government?? I'm hearing reports of so many lifelong Tory voters saying they won't vote Tory at the next election or possibly ever again..
The BBC Local Radio presenters did a sterling job of grilling Truss. Did she think she was going to get an easy ride?
This would almost be comedy until you realise these people are actually running the country and they show no sign of backing down.
Will the PM and Chancellor still be in power by Christmas?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

robing wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 11:02pm Is there any support for this new government?? I'm hearing reports of so many lifelong Tory voters saying they won't vote Tory at the next election or possibly ever again..
The BBC Local Radio presenters did a sterling job of grilling Truss. Did she think she was going to get an easy ride?
This would almost be comedy until you realise these people are actually running the country and they show no sign of backing down.
As I understand the rules even if loads of Conservative MPs "send in letters" they will mean nothing for 12 months. i.e. no confidence through letters to 1922 cannot be done for 12 months.

She is very much a non-listening person, loads of arrogance and when she says she doesn't mind being unpopular she seems to be going out of her way to make herself unpopular.

Given how desperate she was to get the job I can't see her stepping down and no real way for others to force it.

Similarly, they are both good friends for ages as well as being neighbours so I can't see her sacking him.

She's been waiting a lot of years to do this so I think no stopping her.

Ian
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

robing wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 11:02pm
They're so detached from reality you wonder if they'll last the conference.

If Truss keeps parroting the same deranged madness you can imagine markets crashing in real time while she speaks, just as the set crashed behind May for her speech.
robing

Post by robing »

She is going to be on BBC tomorrow morning laura kuennsberg with Rachel reeves. I can see another car crash but she will just carry on regardless regurgitating the same line about Ukraine over and over.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I've just listened to part of that interview. The first statement that I heard from the Prime Minister was "The Health Secretary has committed that people will be able to see their GP within two weeks".

This isn't true. There is no such commitment... it's an "expectation":
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... -sanctions

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

On now. Much better schooled - I say just as she throws the Chancellor under a bus re top rate tax :lol:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Readers struggling to find an objective reaction to KK's 'special financial operation' last Friday may find this summary from over the pond interesting.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... -collapse/
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Debs

Post by Debs »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 8:55am I've just listened to part of that interview. The first statement that I heard from the Prime Minister was "The Health Secretary has committed that people will be able to see their GP within two weeks".

This isn't true. There is no such commitment... it's an "expectation":
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... -sanctions

Jonathan
Under the last Labour government patients saw their GP within two days...

It's shocking to see how far 12 years of relentless Tory rule has deliberated undermined the NHS for ongoing privatisations.
This truth should be highlighted more in the media.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think what Labour need to do is to give the current economic disaster a name. This might sound superficial but come General election in 2 years time referring to the "mini-budget that caused markets to collapse and the pound sterling to crash and ..." people have switched off and the impacts faded over 2 years. But give it a name like "Black Wednesday" got and it will quickly remind voters of the disaster and think we don't want to go there again.

"Trussonomics" is too broad and reminds people of her broader policy. Plus it needs to be associated with the Conservatives rather than Truss gven Truss might not be in post in 2 years. I'm no PR/marketing expert so have no good suggestions but there needs to be something brief and memorable to use in 2 years as a dramatic reminder.

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

simonineaston wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 10:38am Readers struggling to find an objective reaction to KK's 'special financial operation' last Friday may find this summary from over the pond interesting.
Hmm...Washington Post is in the same category as the New York Times, Guardian and Observer. UK hating pundits expressing bile abound keen to do us down. The crash is out of all proportion but I guess thats part of their plan to get Labour in power and restore the EU gravy train. As it stands Kwasi and Truss have apparently done their work for them...?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 1:46pm
Hmm...Washington Post is in the same category as the New York Times, Guardian and Observer. UK hating pundits expressing bile abound keen to do us down. The crash is out of all proportion but I guess thats part of their plan to get Labour in power and restore the EU gravy train. As it stands Kwasi and Truss have apparently done their work for them...?

Al
Truss is probably a Labour mole.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 1:46pm
simonineaston wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 10:38am Readers struggling to find an objective reaction to KK's 'special financial operation' last Friday may find this summary from over the pond interesting.

Al
I think it's those on higher incomes who are on the gravytrain!

May I remind you that Labour has catagorically stated that the UK will not be rejoining the EU!

Your post seems to have some sympathy with the Truss/Kwartang course of the UK economy ?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

reohn2 wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 2:11pm Your post seems to have some sympathy with the Truss/Kwartang course of the UK economy ?
Where is that, I am as baffled as the next man because I have no knowledge of economics? They have stepped outside conventional thinking and the reaction has been quite violent and possibly out of proportion. This leads one to believe there is some sort of plot going on in financial circles? The blue rinse brigade have a lot to answer for...

I dont trust Labour, they could dump Starmer and Ange and Momentum would step in.

How about 'Blundergate'?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

When people have to resort to patriotism as an argument it's rather like ad hominems, a sign of no actual logical points to make.
Psamathe wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 11:14pm As I understand the rules even if loads of Conservative MPs "send in letters" they will mean nothing for 12 months. i.e. no confidence through letters to 1922 cannot be done for 12 months.
The 1922 committee makes its own rules and can change them on a whim. The 12 months is more an internal convention but once they may decide to disregard if things become serious enough.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"The City business partner of Jacob Rees-Mogg has been handed a peerage and job as a senior minister by Liz Truss’s government... "

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ister-role

Jonathan