Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by reohn2 »

Meanwhile... ...... people in low paid part time jobs will see their Universal Credit reduced if they don't "work harder or longer":- https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62989572 :lol:
Victims Commissioner Vera Bird has resigned claiming her role has been sidelined:- https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63009853
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

reohn2 wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 5:37pm
simonineaston wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 10:29am This lot really are taking the proverbial... I imagine they're gonna swing the wrecking ball for the time they've got left.
Like bulls in an economic china shop.....
This trick isn’t restricted to the Tories but when given two candidates they seem to have a knack of picking the worst of the two. That’s the problem with giving the party members deciding votes, they’re predominantly ideology lead whereas a secret vote by MP’s would see more pragmatism and a better eye to electoral prospects - attention is focused when your job is on the line. Having said that the MP’s managed to give the party a poor choice.
Last edited by Carlton green on 24 Sep 2022, 9:20am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 8:49am Meanwhile... ...... people in low paid part time jobs will see their Universal Credit reduced if they don't "work harder or longer":- https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62989572 :lol:
Victims Commissioner Vera Bird has resigned claiming her role has been sidelined:- https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63009853
And if thy want to put any fuel in their cars
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/sep/24/plunge-in-sterling-leaves-drivers-paying-6-more-for-tank-of-petrol-says-aa wrote:Plunge in sterling leaves drivers paying £6 more for tank of petrol, says AA
(I'd guess that if you are on £100,000 per year an extra £6 per tank will name no difference as other tax cuts have given you an extra £1500 which more than makes up the difference.

Ian
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Carlton green wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 9:17am
simonineaston wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 10:29am This lot really are taking the proverbial... I imagine they're gonna swing the wrecking ball for the time they've got left.
This trick isn’t restricted to the Tories but when given two candidates they seem to have a knack of picking the worst of the two. That’s the problem with giving the party members deciding votes, they’re predominantly ideology lead whereas a secret vote by MP’s would see more pragmatism and a better eye to electoral prospects - attention is focused when your job is on the line. Having said that the MP’s managed to give the party a poor choice.
It's a continually found mistake to think that the Tories are merely following a tinpot ideology in emitting the sort of egregious policies they do. The even-more-hidden agenda of neoliberalism (itself something of a hidden ideology from many voters) is the "shock & awe" effect recommended by Milton Friedman and his gang at The Chicago School of Economics, some decades ago now. A mode practiced by the USA in its various foreign adventures throughout the world in subverting governments of a hue it didn't care for. Iraq and Afghanistan were the latest (failed) attempts.

If a society has its various institutions and ways of life utterly demolished by the neoliberal nasty destructions, this provides something of a tabula rasa for "businessmen and entrepreneurs" to offer replacement "services" of a much more profitable kind. Profitable for the businessmen, not their "customers". In a society ravaged by destructive Tory policies, the subjects (they've now ceased to be citizens) will feel a desperate gratitude for these new "services" as anything is better than nothing.

This is an ideology for the so-called 1%. In practice, it's just the latest method for an aristocracy to reinforce their already privileged power and position to an unassailable degree.

In short, the neoliberal Tories have no intention of making policies to serve "the nation". In practice, they no longer really believe in "the nation" except as an instrument to transfer power and governance from citizens to an aristocracy. All that Brexit stuff is just a propaganda weapon to distract we dupes from what's going on under the covers. As their plot gains ever more success, those covers can be dispensed with.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Wot he sed^^^
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Carlton Green
There's a term in Buddhism used to describe a person's true character,the term is "suchness".
We're witnessing(and have so for some time)the suchness of the Tory party.
That suchness is the enriching more of the rich whilst simultaneously increasing the "poorness" of the already poor,who were made poor by the Tory party's suchness.
The TOry party and it's supporters have no intention of levelling up or anything approaching it or anything like an equal society or a betterment for all,they're only interested in enriching the already too rich whilst making the poor pay for it.

Personally I blame the electorate for supping with the devil for so long as they now are under the impression the devil is god and that things could be worse if they didn't have the devil in charge,that impression has never been so misplaced as it has been for the past 12 years and even more so in the past 4 years.

A simple question to you on the current Kwateng Kack.
How can slashing the taxes of the already rich and well off who don't need the extra money,whilst allowing the expenditure of those barely paying any income tax,and who need help the most,to increase at alarming rates,be morally acceptable to any right thinking person?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Meanwhile the Foreign office faces questions on it's spending between 2021/22 under Liz Truss :- https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rwich-city
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

sjs wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:00pm
reohn2 wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 7:54pm Economist Frances Coppola's assessment on LBC of the Kwarteng's Kapitalist Konundrum:- https://youtu.be/UAhJPIH5-4Y
Are they deliberately sabotaging the economy under the assumption that when they lose the next election only the first few stone of many tons of s**t will have hit the fan?
Thye have form for that. The Barber budget of 1982, based on ideoligical views, laid the foundations for waht happened to the UK in seventies. Labour spent the second half of the decade sorting out the mess it created, which they did by 1979 but, unfairly, were blamed for Tory created problems.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 8:49am ...
Yes. Bad story. Decent government requires distribution and separation of powers.

And part of a pattern.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jonathan
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Rosie is fast becoming a National Treasure.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Cugel wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 11:38am
Carlton green wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 9:17am

It's a continually found mistake to think that the Tories are merely following a tinpot ideology in emitting the sort of egregious policies they do. The even-more-hidden agenda of neoliberalism (itself something of a hidden ideology from many voters) is the "shock & awe" effect recommended by Milton Friedman and his gang at The Chicago School of Economics, some decades ago now. A mode practiced by the USA in its various foreign adventures throughout the world in subverting governments of a hue it didn't care for. Iraq and Afghanistan were the latest (failed) attempts.

If a society has its various institutions and ways of life utterly demolished by the neoliberal nasty destructions, this provides something of a tabula rasa for "businessmen and entrepreneurs" to offer replacement "services" of a much more profitable kind. Profitable for the businessmen, not their "customers". In a society ravaged by destructive Tory policies, the subjects (they've now ceased to be citizens) will feel a desperate gratitude for these new "services" as anything is better than nothing.

This is an ideology for the so-called 1%. In practice, it's just the latest method for an aristocracy to reinforce their already privileged power and position to an unassailable degree.

In short, the neoliberal Tories have no intention of making policies to serve "the nation". In practice, they no longer really believe in "the nation" except as an instrument to transfer power and governance from citizens to an aristocracy. All that Brexit stuff is just a propaganda weapon to distract we dupes from what's going on under the covers. As their plot gains ever more success, those covers can be dispensed with.

Cugel

Similarly, there are many who are saying that it is not just Brexit used as a cover for the concentration of power in the hands of increasingly few, with political leaders seemingly talking and walking in lockstep to the tune of the mega-rich. They question the way in which inflation was allowed to increase unchecked for so long, how it was encouraged with the billions paid out to encourage people to stay locked up in their homes, how the Russia-Ukraine war has been allowed to fester for years before breaking out in more widespread warfare this year, the way big-tech companies are given free pass to decide whom to allow to bank with them depending on their politics, how it's increasingly difficult to participate in life without using the Internet to order, prebook, opt out, make money or purchase services and goods. Even the response of most Western nations to Covid-19 (with the exception of Sweden throughout, Denmark's latest actions question the risk/benefit ratio of the vaccine itself for the under 50s) comes under scrutiny, with the concern that so many awful coincidences are occurring at present, all which appear to enrich the already very wealthy and further subjugate the rest.

But is it realistic to suggest Brexit was a deliberate ruse to further whatever plans these 'elite' have for the world? Centralisation of power would seem to be important in attempting greater control, so how does this work? And so for Covid, was it really planned? Yes, there are a lot who point to some evidence that it wasn't totally an accident, evidence of meddling including the 'gain of function' work done on the virus, but was the global pandemic deliberate? I have my doubts. The way inflation has been allowed to gallop out of control I find difficult to explain, though, as I do some of the responses to the pandemic. But are these global events really part of a bigger plan?

I know Roosevelt said nothing happens by accident in politics, that at times political leaders are little more than actors with the real powers being worked behind the curtain, but I struggle with the notion that Brexit was allowed as part of a grand scheme.

As for Truss, it was surprising for our foreign secretary not to know which side of the border such a regionally important city as Rostov-on-Don lies when engaging in talks with the Russians. Her Chancellor's budget is more than surprising, I'm trying to work out how it was allowed to happen.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Johnson has "lovable rogue" appeal. He had "the gift of the gab" and undoubtedly managed a lot of support from his character many found engaging/appealing. Johnson had more moderate policies (in terms of tax, etc.). Yet Johnson failed miserably.

Truss is diabolical at interviews, comes across badly in any situation, has little of no character. Nothing appealing about her. She is enacting extreme policies that benefit the few already wealthy. What chance does she have next election.

Makes one wonder if those pulling the strings have realised the next election is already lost so best to trash the economy so Labour can't fix it enough in their coming term and thus Conservatives are only out of power for one term.

Bankers, business, etc. will know that Labour will undo most of what the wealthy have just been given so are not going to relocate or make major investment decisions on what will likely be a temporary situation.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Trickle down dining. You help the wealthiest man in the restaurant to buy the most expensive meal in the hope he'll let you lick the plate when he's finished eating.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 12:38pm Carlton Green
There's a term in Buddhism used to describe a person's true character,the term is "suchness".
We're witnessing(and have so for some time)the suchness of the Tory party.
That suchness is the enriching more of the rich whilst simultaneously increasing the "poorness" of the already poor,who were made poor by the Tory party's suchness.
The TOry party and it's supporters have no intention of levelling up or anything approaching it or anything like an equal society or a betterment for all,they're only interested in enriching the already too rich whilst making the poor pay for it.

Personally I blame the electorate for supping with the devil for so long as they now are under the impression the devil is god and that things could be worse if they didn't have the devil in charge,that impression has never been so misplaced as it has been for the past 12 years and even more so in the past 4 years.

A simple question to you on the current Kwateng Kack.
How can slashing the taxes of the already rich and well off who don't need the extra money,whilst allowing the expenditure of those barely paying any income tax,and who need help the most,to increase at alarming rates,be morally acceptable to any right thinking person?
I don’t understand what prompted you to ask me the question but as far as I’m concerned the Chancellor has made completely the wrong choices for anything other than making a bad situation for the country into a much worse situation for the country. I think that Truss was an awful choice and the worst of two candidates.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.