Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
robing

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by robing »

Psamathe wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 11:23am I think what Labour need to do is to give the current economic disaster a name. This might sound superficial but come General election in 2 years time referring to the "mini-budget that caused markets to collapse and the pound sterling to crash and ..." people have switched off and the impacts faded over 2 years. But give it a name like "Black Wednesday" got and it will quickly remind voters of the disaster and think we don't want to go there again.

"Trussonomics" is too broad and reminds people of her broader policy. Plus it needs to be associated with the Conservatives rather than Truss gven Truss might not be in post in 2 years. I'm no PR/marketing expert so have no good suggestions but there needs to be something brief and memorable to use in 2 years as a dramatic reminder.

Ian
Trussterf*ck
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

So, its ok to consistently run down your country and cause misery for millions then? You couldnt make it up... And cast oblique slurs on others when you share the sentiment. Patriotism isnt a dirty word, unfortunately its a word that seldom gets an airing in the UK these days, thats exactly where the Remain camp made their fatal mistake.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 3:43pm So, its ok to consistently run down your country and cause misery for millions then? You couldnt make it up... And cast oblique slurs on others when you share the sentiment. Patriotism isnt a dirty word, unfortunately its a word that seldom gets an airing in the UK these days, thats exactly where the Remain camp made their fatal mistake.

Al
Pointing out the idiocy of this Government's policies is not unpatriotic.
The policies are bad for the country, and bad for the people. To say so is a criticism of the Tory Government, not of Britain, and these policies will be the cause of misery. We must hope the Tory party retains enough sense to stop Truss/Kwarteng.
Trying to pretend this special budget operation is a good idea will not fool the markets, which pay no attention to politics, but to their own interests.
Scenting a plot against Britain is a ridiculous conspiracy theory.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Debs

Post by Debs »

al_yrpal wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 3:43pm So, its ok to consistently run down your country and cause misery for millions then? You couldnt make it up... And cast oblique slurs on others when you share the sentiment. Patriotism isnt a dirty word, unfortunately its a word that seldom gets an airing in the UK these days, thats exactly where the Remain camp made their fatal mistake.

Al
How dare ordinary people folk run down our country, it's this Tory-Brexit Cabal Administration's job to do that!
robing

Post by robing »

al_yrpal wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 3:43pm So, its ok to consistently run down your country and cause misery for millions then? You couldnt make it up...
Al
That would be my question for Liz Truss.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The "running down" isnt confined to the Truss/Kwazi situation. It goes on continually and has been for some time.
I believe, like most people that the PM and the Chancellor do deserve criticism for their recent ill judged mess.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 3:43pm So, its ok to consistently run down your country and cause misery for millions then? You couldnt make it up... And cast oblique slurs on others when you share the sentiment...
Got it in one. Truss downing the country (Markets and currency at the same time) whilst casting slurs on her collegues (blaming KK for the 45% tax cut). issery for millions in higher interest rates, high inflation whilst they watch the already massively wealthy get tax cuts we have to borrow to fund. I agree Mistrust has certainly run the country down and caused misery for millions.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 2:27pm
reohn2 wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 2:11pm Your post seems to have some sympathy with the Truss/Kwartang course of the UK economy ?
Where is that, I am as baffled as the next man because I have no knowledge of economics? They have stepped outside conventional thinking and the reaction has been quite violent and possibly out of proportion. This leads one to believe there is some sort of plot going on in financial circles? The blue rinse brigade have a lot to answer for...
Thanks,well one thing's for sure KK seems to have the same understanding of economics as yourself!
I dont trust Labour, they could dump Starmer and Ange and Momentum would step in.
How and why would they do that in the next two years leading upto a GE with a huge lead in the polls?
Labour's focus will,I should think,be showing this shower up for what they are and I'm hoping Starmer will be capable of achieving that aim.

How about 'Blundergate'?

Al
Blundergate?
You've lost me,unless you mean the fatal mistake of leaving the EU,which is proving everything the remainers were saying it would be,a complete mess!
Last edited by reohn2 on 2 Oct 2022, 7:19pm, edited 3 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
robing

Post by robing »

The only ones running down the country are the Tories - particularly since 2016.
PH

Post by PH »

al_yrpal wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 4:14pm The "running down" isnt confined to the Truss/Kwazi situation. It goes on continually and has been for some time.
I believe, like most people that the PM and the Chancellor do deserve criticism for their recent ill judged mess.
Al
There's nothing recent about it, they're following through on exactly what they've been saying they'll do for the last ten years.
it's the apologists who deserve the criticism, those unable to distinguish the difference between patriotism and jingoism, and that anything is acceptable wrapped up in the flag. There's nothing unpatriotic about saying my country is being run for a few, many of whom are not even UK nationals. Attacking people patriotism is a lazy bit on name calling used by people unable to form a proper argument.
A deregulated, low tax, low welfare spending, free market economy is bad for this great country.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 4:14pm The "running down" isnt confined to the Truss/Kwazi situation. It goes on continually and has been for some time.

Al
Yes they certainly do and it's been going on for the past 12 years of failure under Tory governments who,along with their oligarch and multinational company pals and financiers have been bleeding the country dry.

EDIT:- Typing at the same time as PH,who's put it far better than I could.
Last edited by reohn2 on 2 Oct 2022, 4:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

When patriotism is used as an argument against different views on how to make the country better then it very much is a dirty word and it's one that's used far too often by the group of brexit ultras to try and stifle debate first about brexit, then about the type of brexit and now about trussanomics.

Strikes me that the people actually running the country down are those same shysters. Their whole MO is pretty much:

1) talk the country down first, erecting a strawman about how Britain is being constrained by EU/high tax/low interest rates relying heavily on rhetoric rather than actual evidence.
2) dismiss expert opinion as some kind of conspiracy/'the elite' and chuck accusations of lack of patriotism around
3) implement their solution to this manufactured problem
4) continue with accusations about lack of patriotism against anyone who dares pointing out that the country's economy is tanking entirely as predicted by experts* as a result of this non solution
5) don't really care anyway because they're laughing to the bank with the profits of their disaster capitalism and busy starting the next 1)

We can see 5 in action as they now throw the lower income brexit voters under the bus with the current ruse.

*Excluding Osborne's treasury forecasts here which, as I've mentioned previously, were actually reasonably accurate, but only on the fantasy assumptions Osborne gave them of massive austerity.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 2:27pm This leads one to believe there is some sort of plot going on in financial circles?
Al
Here is a plotter making money out of this farce.
Multimillionaire and Tory donor Crispin Odey is among the hedge fund managers cashing in on the UK’s market meltdown, saying that his bets against Britain’s government bonds were “the gifts that keep on giving”.

The investor – who is known for profiting from the Brexit referendum by making similar bets – said his position against the pound had “been helpful”, adding that sterling was unlikely to gain substantial ground against rival currencies such as the dollar.

Odey said he believed the pound, trading at about $1.08 on Tuesday following Monday’s sharp fall, could fall further and hit one-to-one parity against the dollar. “It’s so close” to parity, he told the Financial Times, “I don’t think you can start getting bullish on sterling.”

The hedge fund tycoon also described his bet against UK government bonds – also known as gilts – as “the gifts that keep on giving”.
He is quite prepared to make money out of the policies which will further impoverish the most vulnerable British people.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 4:49pm
al_yrpal wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 2:27pm This leads one to believe there is some sort of plot going on in financial circles?
Al
Here is a plotter making money out of this farce.
Multimillionaire and Tory donor Crispin Odey is among the hedge fund managers cashing in on the UK’s market meltdown, saying that his bets against Britain’s government bonds were “the gifts that keep on giving”.

The investor – who is known for profiting from the Brexit referendum by making similar bets – said his position against the pound had “been helpful”, adding that sterling was unlikely to gain substantial ground against rival currencies such as the dollar.

Odey said he believed the pound, trading at about $1.08 on Tuesday following Monday’s sharp fall, could fall further and hit one-to-one parity against the dollar. “It’s so close” to parity, he told the Financial Times, “I don’t think you can start getting bullish on sterling.”

The hedge fund tycoon also described his bet against UK government bonds – also known as gilts – as “the gifts that keep on giving”.
He is quite prepared to make money out of the policies which will further impoverish the most vulnerable British people.
Isn't the same Crisbin Odious who is Kwartang's friend and former employer?
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 4:55pm
Isn't the same Crisbin Odious who is Kwartang's friend and former employer?
Indeed it is.
And he is not the only patriotic hedge fund manager doing well out of this.
Hedge fund managers have been reportedly making huge profits over the past few days from shorting the pound as it plummeted to near parity with the US dollar.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 76142.html

There is talk of reducing welfare benefits to pay for tax cuts for the rich. Of course it is not patriotic to say this!
Last edited by Mike Sales on 2 Oct 2022, 5:05pm, edited 1 time in total.