Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jois

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:37pm So if you don't think that we're going to improve the trade agreements with the EU and the USA in the foreseeable future what countries do you see as offering the major opportunities for exports with the devalued pound? And which sectors?

Thanks

Jonathan
I don't think I made a comment on future trading arrangement with either of those.

There are large number of countries that could be collectively termed " the rest of the world" , a fall in the value of the pound will not harm the chances of that at all

I note that in April this year our exports to the EU increased so clearly some hope there. I haven't looked at the other months
Last edited by jois on 26 Sep 2022, 1:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:01pm
Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:37pm So if you don't think that we're going to improve the trade agreements with the EU and the USA in the foreseeable future what countries do you see as offering the major opportunities for exports with the devalued pound? And which sectors?
I don't think I made a comment on future trading arrangement with either of those.
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 11:23amWhich appears to be undo a big chunk of Brexit, which amounts to the same discussion. It's politically impossible for the government to do that.as desired as it may be, it's not going to happen, so...
Jonathan
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:05pm
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:01pm
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 11:23amWhich appears to be undo a big chunk of Brexit, which amounts to the same discussion. It's politically impossible for the government to do that.as desired as it may be, it's not going to happen, so...
Jonathan
Maybe cross wires but I don't see not reversing Brexit and improving our exports to the EU as mutually exclusive. There seems from casual observation a considerable amount of goods in the EU that originated in non EU countries
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:32pm Nether of us is in a position to know which level of Brexit was acceptable to most of the people who voted for it, a softer Brexit would quite probably be more acceptable to those that didn't. But looser don't generally get to set the rules.
We're all losers at the moment, barring a small group of disaster capitalists. As for knowing, we do know as there were extensive surveys and polling done and that are still being done about it, including the much more rigorously conducted British Election Study before anyone comes up with 'but polls are always wrong' garbage.
Being bound by decisions we couldn't vote against is undemocratic of the first order.
Welcome to the reality of a global world. That applies to us even now, the only way not to be bound by such decisions is to go full North Korea. Everything else is a sliding scale of pooling sovereignty for economic benefits. As it is, we're constrained from doing anything wildly different even not as a member of the single market due to simply living next to it and being only a 6th of the size economically. It would be better to actually have the full economic benefits. It would obviously be better still to have a say.
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:32pm Increasing the money supply in the economy is Keynesian and that's what tax cuts do. There are other ways of doing that.
That's a very loose definition of Keynesian and doesn't really fit with what he said given he was rather more nuanced on both the timing of such increases and the methods.

As for the money supply, there isn't a shortage of money at the moment so increasing it is not a good idea and why the markets have responded by selling £s and divesting out of uk gilts, the rates of which have risen considerably and are in emerging economy territory.
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:10pm NB the complete deregulation of the city and banker bonuses of eye watering proportions such that it lead to financial disaster was a Labour party plan.
Labour's governance had led to the UK being in a weaker position to deal with the fallout but the trigger of the disaster was far more global and predominantly the US sub prime market which was in a more precarious state than ours. It's worth bearing in mind that shortly before the crash, the conservatives were hounding the government for not deregulating enough and to cut taxes.
Maybe cross wires but I don't see not reversing Brexit and improving our exports to the EU as mutually exclusive
Suggest some reading on non tariff barriers etc. Being outside CU & SM has been devastating for exports, particularly for SMEs that don't have the lack the scale and multinational element assist in working around the issue. The continual queue at dover isn't exactly helpful either...
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:09pmMaybe cross wires but I don't see not reversing Brexit and improving our exports to the EU as mutually exclusive. There seems from casual observation a considerable amount of goods in the EU that originated in non EU countries
We're in dispute with the EU over the NIP and the Horizon programme. This government has a chance to reset the approach to collaboration. If it doesn't trade will suffer.

Part of the legislative programme is to remove all elements of EU regulations incorporated into UK law by the start of 2024. This is an enormous problem for potential exporters. They need commonality and consistency.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Stevek76 wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:15pm ...
Being outside CU & SM has been devastating for exports, particularly for SMEs that don't have the lack the scale and multinational element assist in working around the issue. The continual queue at dover isn't exactly helpful either...
Yes. Many small exporters have already given up.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 11:54am I can be a spectator
Sorry my bad,what I meant was you can spectate,but you're involved if you vote.

interests me.ive no deep political ideology, I can see a lot of faults on both sides.im not particularly confident the Labour party would be any better in the current situation, just different mistakes
We'd need to look at what led upto the UK's present predicament and to whether Labour or any other party FTM would've bought the country to where it is now.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jois

Post by jois »

Stevek76 wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:15pm
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:32pm Nether of us is in a position to know which level of Brexit was acceptable to most of the people who voted for it, a softer Brexit would quite probably be more acceptable to those that didn't. But looser don't generally get to set the rules.
We're all losers at the moment, barring a small group of disaster capitalists. As for knowing, we do know as there were extensive surveys and polling done and that are still being done about it, including the much more rigorously conducted British Election Study before anyone comes up with 'but polls are always wrong' garbage.
Being bound by decisions we couldn't vote against is undemocratic of the first order.
Welcome to the reality of a global world. That applies to us even now, the only way not to be bound by such decisions is to go full North Korea. Everything else is a sliding scale of pooling sovereignty for economic benefits. As it is, we're constrained from doing anything wildly different even not as a member of the single market due to simply living next to it and being only a 6th of the size economically. It would be better to actually have the full economic benefits. It would obviously be better still to have a say.
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:32pm Increasing the money supply in the economy is Keynesian and that's what tax cuts do. There are other ways of doing that.
That's a very loose definition of Keynesian and doesn't really fit with what he said given he was rather more nuanced on both the timing of such increases and the methods.

As for the money supply, there isn't a shortage of money at the moment so increasing it is not a good idea and why the markets have responded by selling £s and divesting out of uk gilts, the rates of which have risen considerably and are in emerging economy territory.
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:10pm NB the complete deregulation of the city and banker bonuses of eye watering proportions such that it lead to financial disaster was a Labour party plan.
Labour's governance had led to the UK being in a weaker position to deal with the fallout but the trigger of the disaster was far more global and predominantly the US sub prime market which was in a more precarious state than ours. It's worth bearing in mind that shortly before the crash, the conservatives were hounding the government for not deregulating enough and to cut taxes.
Maybe cross wires but I don't see not reversing Brexit and improving our exports to the EU as mutually exclusive
Suggest some reading on non tariff barriers etc. Being outside CU & SM has been devastating for exports, particularly for SMEs that don't have the lack the scale and multinational element assist in working around the issue. The continual queue at dover isn't exactly helpful either...
I didn't say it was Keynesian, I said similar or reminiscent or other such qualification.

The disaster was widespread but as you agree with had our own personal disaster caused by the Labour government who then printed billions to refinance the banks which they don't seem to have repaid, presumably they were never required to do so ?

So cause a disaster and then load the national dept up to buy their way out of their mistake doesn't seem like good financials management to me.

Surely having cheaper goods for sale helps offset any tariffs we will encounter?
jois

Post by jois »

reohn2 wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:24pm

interests me.ive no deep political ideology, I can see a lot of faults on both sides.im not particularly confident the Labour party would be any better in the current situation, just different mistakes
We'd need to look at what led upto the UK's present predicament and to whether Labour or any other party FTM would've bought the country to where it is now.
To be fair I'm not sure I said I voted ?
jois

Post by jois »

I think Brexit is only a small part of the issue, an important part maybe but far from the main cause.
Last edited by jois on 26 Sep 2022, 1:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:30pm Surely having cheaper goods for sale helps offset any tariffs we will encounter?
As above: look for those non-tariff barriers. And it's now UK government policy to remove commonality of standards.

Shirley

PS: And the TCA doesn't include services where the UK has many positions of competitive advantage for trade with the EU.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:31pm To be fair I'm not sure I said I voted ?
To be even more fair I didn't suggest you did,only that if you do you're a "player"
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

The model of printing money was followed by many countries.
I'm sure if there were a labour government at the moment mistakes would be made but I don't think we'd feel we're being screwed in favour of the wealthy.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:34pm

I think Brexit is only a small part of the issue, an important part maybe but far from the main cause.
I think Brexit is central, not in the direct economic impact, but rather in the decoupling of politics from economic (and other) reality that it ushered in.
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:36pm
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 1:30pm Surely having cheaper goods for sale helps offset any tariffs we will encounter?
As above: look for those non-tariff barriers. And it's now UK government policy to remove commonality of standards.

Shirley

PS: And the TCA doesn't include services where the UK has many positions of competitive advantage for trade with the EU.
I'm not pouring over trade figures but from memory we had a trade deficit with the EU and the majority of our exports went else where. There may be barriers but far from insurmountable ones.