Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 12:55pm With reported salaries of £142000 its no wonder so many GPs choose to work part time. Thus adversely affecting the NHS......

Al
If the job and salary were so good then why aren't there a queue of doctors wanting to be GPs,you'd think there'd a surgery on every street corner?
Strange anomaly is that.......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 3:27pmIf the job and salary were so good then why aren't there a queue of doctors wanting to be GPs,you'd think there'd a surgery on every street corner?
In England recruitment is so difficult that there is a system of bonus payments for trainees in general practice.

"Targeted Enhanced Recruitment Scheme (TERS)":
https://medical.hee.nhs.uk/medical-trai ... ent-scheme

Jonathan

PS: Having said that retention is even more important and problematic than recruitment.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 1:37pm
Jdsk wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 12:37pm
Jdsk wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 10:49am
Yes. (But careful with the statistics on numbers in post.)

The professions have been pleading for a workforce strategy for some time.
Backtracked on the guarantee... and the plan hasn't been published yet!
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... -sanctions
The plan:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... r-patients

Jonathan
Looks more like a "wish list" with nothing really about how they are going to achieve much. There some worrying bits e.g. "maximise the use of the independent sector". And no indication as to how they are going to achieve their ambitious recruitment plans when previous Conservative Governments have completely failed.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 3:37pm
reohn2 wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 3:27pmIf the job and salary were so good then why aren't there a queue of doctors wanting to be GPs,you'd think there'd a surgery on every street corner?
In England recruitment is so difficult that there is a system of bonus payments for trainees in general practice.

"Targeted Enhanced Recruitment Scheme (TERS)":
https://medical.hee.nhs.uk/medical-trai ... ent-scheme

Jonathan

PS: Having said that retention is even more important and problematic than recruitment.
Quite!
Labour Shadow Cabinet minister Wes Streeting telling the truth about the Tories track record on the NHS:- https://youtu.be/3XlVK_yyMjQ
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Since the arrival of this unelected government, I've been reading as much as I can about the individuals concerned and their underpinning philosphies and I've found out two things: first that hardly any of the reasons they quote for their policies seem to be supported by any data or evidence (eg 'trickle down economics / tax cuts for the well-off promotes economic growth) and second, most of the key players seem to have close links with some very opaque lobbyists - the word 'thinktank' is used to try to suggest they engage in serious & responsible research, but the facts show instead, that they are funded by some very dubious sources, including foreign agents!
We're in for a very rocky ride over the next 24 months. Meanhwile, I just hope the Labour party improves on their current lack-lustre performance...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Meanhwile, I just hope the Labour party improves on their current lack-lustre performance...
Correction - Wes Streeting spoke with energy and fluency, I think. Thanks for the link.
Last edited by simonineaston on 23 Sep 2022, 10:28am, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

So they are scraping the top rate of income tax. That will really help all those facing unaffordable energy bills, massive ongoing food inflation and many who can even manage as things are now.

I suppose it shows who this Gov. really represents (the already wealthy).

I actually find the scraping the top income tax rate quite immoral. Those with higher disposable income should quite rightly be contributing more to the public purse.

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

This lot really are taking the proverbial... I imagine they're gonna swing the wrecking ball for the time they've got left.
S
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I actually find the scraping the top income tax rate quite immoral.
I read that adherance to the core principles of neoliberalism (Truss, her chancellor, JR-M et al are firmly wedded to this ideology, although you'd be forgiven for not knowing that - it's not much talked about...) is all about morality. The theory goes that the market is amoral (as opposed to immoral) and so, treats everybody the same. To each goes their just deserts. Neoliberalism tells us that articificially making allowances for the poor and the weak spoils everything and makes a mess of it all. Which is fine if you're well off and a bit rubbish if you need help.
Ask a thousand folk on zero hour contracts if they think neoliberalism is a good idea and to tell you how well they are doing under the scheme, and I imagine you'll get hundreds of unprintable responses - - but that's OK 'cos the markets wil have treated everybody with blind equality...
S
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonineaston wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 11:10am
I actually find the scraping the top income tax rate quite immoral.
I read that adherance to the core principles of neoliberalism (Truss, her chancellor, JR-M et al are firmly wedded to this ideology, although you'd be forgiven for not knowing that - it's not much talked about...) is all about morality. The theory goes that the market is amoral (as opposed to immoral) and so, treats everybody the same. To each goes their just deserts. Neoliberalism tells us that articificially making allowances for the poor and the weak spoils everything and makes a mess of it all. Which is fine if you're well off and a bit rubbish if you need help.
Ask a thousand folk on zero hour contracts if they think neoliberalism is a good idea and to tell you how well they are doing under the scheme, and I imagine you'll get hundreds of unprintable responses - - but that's OK 'cos the markets wil have treated everybody with blind equality...
Which reminds me of
E4cG_8fWQAQ5Rks.jpeg
Ian
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Remarkable combination of Corbyn economics with traditional Tory beneficiaries:

Unfunded borrowing to finance tax cuts for the richest and restart the import of foie gras to boot.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Guardian article about the wealth of Rees-Mogg.
Media reports suggest the staunch Brexiter had pocketed at least £7m in dividends from Somerset since the EU referendum in 2016, and before he stopped taking a salary, Rees-Mogg received about £15,000 a month from the firm on top of his MP’s pay
Somerset has traditionally invested in listed companies based in emerging markets including China, Korea, India and Mexico, and is believed to have benefited from the drop in the value of the pound after the Brexit vote as its holdings were overseas..
His payouts from Somerset have continued, despite being a so-called sleeper shareholder who no longer plays a role in advising on the investment strategy or the running of the business. Rees-Mogg reportedly received dividends worth at least £600,000 last year, according to the Times, though that was down from £800,000 a year earlier due to a 35% slide in the profits, linked in part to an emerging markets sell-off.
So he profited from Brexit!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... et-capital

There is much more. He is said to be one of the richest cabinet members, which is a high bar to cross.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 12:55pm With reported salaries of £142000 its no wonder so many GPs choose to work part time. Thus adversely affecting the NHS......

Al
I doubt many, if any, employed GPs earn that sort of money. Where did the figure come from?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 12:55pm With reported salaries of £142000 its no wonder so many GPs choose to work part time. Thus adversely affecting the NHS.
Your opinion that the shortage of GPs is down to their being paid too much is a fascinating inversion of every tenet of economic theory.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

re Rees-Mogg, I've been saying for a long while, to anyone who cares to listen, that the primary motive for his enthusism for Brexit was greed. His considerable unearned income benefits hugely from tax free offshore investments, under arrangements that were the target of planned EU reforms.
Likewise, Somerset Captial Managment, of which he is a sleeping partner ie he gets the dividends but doesn't do anything to "earn" them, invests heavily in coal, oil and other fossil fuels, as well as in Russian and Chinese companies with dubious ethics...
And now, this is the untrustworthy and hypocritcal individual is in charge of our energy policy... something is very wrong here.
S