Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cycle tramp

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by cycle tramp »

It wasn't much of a speech tho'.. you could have trained a parrot just to repeat the words 'economic growth... economic growth.. economic growth'

A complete failure to speak about co2 emissions, food security, fresh water security, new plans to help those who are fit enough to return to work, and possibly Britain's armed security in the face of Russia aggression...

..I was left with the impression that what Liz Truss attempted was a very bad pub hypnotist show..
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Clouded Leopard

Post by Clouded Leopard »

A modern day version of Jim Hacker
When the earth becomes sick the animals will begin to die. When that happens The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cycle tramp wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 4:08pm ....I was left with the impression that what Liz Truss attempted was a very bad pub hypnotist show..
To the already hypnotized to those thinking this can carry on! :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Clouded Leopard wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 4:10pm A modern day version of Jim Hacker
Yeah absolutely...
..my favourite bit of the speech was when she told every member of the woodland Trust, every member of the RSPB, every member of the Butterfly and Moth Conservation Group and every member of the Wildlife Nature Trust that they were wrong in standing in the way of economic progress. I've been a member of most of these groups at one time or another and there's a wide variety of political opinions in each.. including blue... and to sweep their concerns to one side, to sweep the love and the joy that these members get from watching and nurturing wildlife aside and then tell them that standing in the way of economic progress for this love, for all the things that have no voice to speak for themselves.. that's almost political suicide.. right now I can see alot more people joining the Lib-Dems following this...
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

cycle tramp wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 4:30pm
Yeah absolutely...
..my favourite bit of the speech was when she told every member of the woodland Trust, every member of the RSPB, every member of the Butterfly and Moth Conservation Group and every member of the Wildlife Nature Trust that they were wrong in standing in the way of economic progress. I've been a member of most of these groups at one time or another and there's a wide variety of political opinions in each.. including blue... and to sweep their concerns to one side, to sweep the love and the joy that these members get from watching and nurturing wildlife aside and then tell them that standing in the way of economic progress for this love, for all the things that have no voice to speak for themselves.. that's almost political suicide.. right now I can see a lot more people joining the Lib-Dems following this...
Anybody seen Jair Bolsonaro recently? :wink:
robing

Post by robing »

Yeah absolutely...
..my favourite bit of the speech was when she told every member of the woodland Trust, every member of the RSPB, every member of the Butterfly and Moth Conservation Group and every member of the Wildlife Nature Trust that they were wrong in standing in the way of economic progress. I've been a member of most of these groups at one time or another and there's a wide variety of political opinions in each.. including blue... and to sweep their concerns to one side, to sweep the love and the joy that these members get from watching and nurturing wildlife aside and then tell them that standing in the way of economic progress for this love, for all the things that have no voice to speak for themselves.. that's almost political suicide.. right now I can see alot more people joining the Lib-Dems following this...
This. They clearly don't consider the environmental impact of fracking either (let alone all the other concerns).
robing

Post by robing »

reohn2 wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 6:00pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 12:06pm I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but I have to say that Mr Philp comes across as a particularly unpleasant piece of work to me.
Yer not wrong,he fits right in with the Tories!
Just shows the low calibre of the current crop of Tory MPs. Cut from the same cloth as Jake Berry, Brandon Lewis. The Brexit barrow boys.
mjr

Post by mjr »

And what was all that with her hands on the glass of water? Has she been injured? Was it a Trump tribute?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Not at all. He had a personality, some charm and Sir Humphrey to tell him when he was about to make a very courageous decision.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

To cheer you all up, a lovely picture of Librium Liz.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

Yeah absolutely...
When Starmer gave his speech at the end of the Labour conference my son got online and joined Labour, partly due to Starmer hitting the right note and partly out of anger with the Tories. The political ground is shifting. The Lib Dems are practically non-existent here in Wales.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

pete75 wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 11:37pm To cheer you all up, a lovely picture of Librium Liz.

Sometimes my chickens have that expression just before egg laying...
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Where did the anti-growth coalition spring from?
pwa

Post by pwa »

francovendee wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 8:08am Where did the anti-growth coalition spring from?
As I understand it, she means every other party, and the orthodox section of her own party that has steered economic policy for more than a decade. She is including the likes of Cameron, May and Johnson. Sunak must be in there too. Everyone not wanting immediate tax cuts.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

All that stuff about the “anti growth coalition” was very carefully planned.

What she has done is nominate a demon, or rather a set of demons, upon which to pin blame, in just the same way that fascistic leaders always do. The mythical “anti growth coalition” serves the same purpose as “The Jews” served for one fascist, or “The West” serves for another. Pin blame, stir up hatred among your current supporters, attract further supporters who find it easier to blame than think when in distress.

It’s a way to win (if all goes according to plan) elections, at the price of dividing a country against itself, and it legitimises violence.

What she lacks at the moment is a bunch of brown or black shirted/red capped/yellow vested thugs to do the street-fighting for her, but it won’t take long for such a group to coalesce if she keeps coming out with this stuff.

Playing with very dangerous fire.

(We can only hope that her street fighters are drawn from her most core supporters, because The Beige Cardigans don’t sound too worrying.)
Last edited by Nearholmer on 6 Oct 2022, 8:47am, edited 4 times in total.