Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 5:53pm ...
The same applies to Consultants many of whom do substantial amounts of work in private hospitals there would be more prompt care and less need for many people to feel they have to go private to get faster treatment.
The new contract in England already obliges consultants to offer additional sessions that they wish to work to their NHS employer first.
https://www.nhsemployers.org/articles/c ... tract-2003

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 3:23pm
thirdcrank wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 12:32pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 12:09pm Your opinion that the shortage of GPs is down to their being paid too much is a fascinating inversion of every tenet of economic theory.
I don't think it's correct to describe it in the way I've highlighted. Without wanting to get into a discussion about whether it applies here, statisficing isn't a new theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satisficing

Achieving a work-life balance in the lingo
Sure, that's a thing, but are you *seriously* suggesting that paying a job *more* results in *less* people wanting to do it?

Seriously?
Of course other factors are relevant. But if you keep those constant then I wouldn't expect that paying doctors less would increase either recruitment or retention.

As always with these thought experiments it's better to only change one factor at time.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tax cuts for the rich and very,very small tax cuts for the ordinary earners.
I've just heard a woman interviewed on the news say,assessing the tax changes,she'll be £100 a year better off,but that her morgage has just increased by £100 and is set to rise again.That'll be before her rise in energy costs.

Meanwhile the £'s going down like a lead balloon after Kwartang's announcement :?

The government's a joke,the problem being the joke is on the ordinary working wo/man on the street.
Last edited by reohn2 on 23 Sep 2022, 6:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Debs wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 11:22pm
But there are no longer any conservative MPs, they all lost their seats in 2019, there is no true government either, the incumbent cabal is made up of ERGs and Brexitards, and they're all a complete bunch of loons...
I think that's a little overdramatic, whilst a significant number are fully signed up ERG loons (upper estimates tend to be low 100s) a huge majority of them are not and even some of their fresh 2019 membership from the 'red wall' looked pretty appalled in the commons today at coked up kwasi's economically illiterate plans.

Might be setting myself up for egg on face here but if she keeps on like this I'm not sure truss will last a year.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Stevek76 wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 6:34pm
Debs wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 11:22pm
But there are no longer any conservative MPs, they all lost their seats in 2019, there is no true government either, the incumbent cabal is made up of ERGs and Brexitards, and they're all a complete bunch of loons...
I think that's a little overdramatic, whilst a significant number are fully signed up ERG loons (upper estimates tend to be low 100s) a huge majority of them are not and even some of their fresh 2019 membership from the 'red wall' looked pretty appalled in the commons today at coked up kwasi's economically illiterate plans.

Might be setting myself up for egg on face here but if she keeps on like this I'm not sure truss will last a year.
My bold

Because they know full well they'll be out on their arris at the next GE!
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 5:53pm .

I am suggesting that possibly if more GPs worked more time in the NHS perhaps there wouldnt be this problem with appointment shortages. The same applies to Consultants many of whom do substantial amounts of work in private hospitals there would be more prompt care and less need for many people to feel they have to go private to get faster treatment.
!
As you're objecting to them being paid too much, presumably your proposed solution to get them to do this is to pay them less?
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

reohn2 wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 6:40pm
Because they know full well they'll be out on their arris at the next GE!
Yep, that's really my point. Sure some MPs might in the mindset of expecting to lose/not caring and just wanting to rinse the country for all they can over the next two years but I think a majority of conservative MPs probably would like to keep their seats and so will defenestrate Truss if she does not dramatically improve their polling.

They only ditched johnson when the partygate matters started to actually stick in terms of public opinion.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Here is the exchange between Kwasi Kwarteng, the chancellor, and the BBC’s Chris Mason.

MASON: Do you think the economy is in recession?
KWARTENG: Technically, the Bank of England said that there was a recession, I think it’ll be shallow and I hope that we can rebound and grow
MASON: So you’re acknowledging that there is going to be a recession
KWARTENG: I’m not acknowledging that, no no I said that there is technically a recession. We’ve had two quarters of very little, negative growth and I think these measures are gonna help us drive growth.
MASON: A recession is a recession and you’re saying we’re in recession
KWARTENG: I’m not saying we’re in recession, I’m referring to what the Bank has said. And I think we’re gonna drive growth with these policies
MASON: What’s the difference between a technical recession and a recession?
KWARTENG: There’s a big difference. Technically, the economists say two consecutive quarters, but I think we’re going to grow the economy, that’s what we’re doing, that’s what we’re focused on.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... acf24f575c

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk
There's a term for what Kwateng is talking ,it's bo**ocks.
The country's on the skids and has been for some time,of course according to some I hate my country for saying that,but we both know the truth of the matter.
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The lying deceitful hypocrite that's our current minster for business & energy is attempting to greenwash the north sea oil & gas deposits. He omitted to mention, in his recent address to the HoC, that companies owned by China, not only extract and remove by far the biggest amount of resources of all, from the UK's gas & oil fields, but also receive massive tax relief from the current government to do so... (as reported in the Times, albeit behind paywall).
And if you think, "Oh, that's kind - how generous of them to make their techical resources available, to help us get hold of our fossil fuels." you've missed the point. It all goes off abroad. And all the profits they make stay abroad, too.
You absolutely couldn't make this stuff up, except perhaps for a Hollywood movie!!
screenshot of news item
screenshot of news item
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Economist Frances Coppola's assessment on LBC of the Kwarteng's Kapitalist Konundrum:- https://youtu.be/UAhJPIH5-4Y
W H Auden
sjs

Post by sjs »

reohn2 wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 7:54pm Economist Frances Coppola's assessment on LBC of the Kwarteng's Kapitalist Konundrum:- https://youtu.be/UAhJPIH5-4Y
Are they deliberately sabotaging the economy under the assumption that when they lose the next election only the first few stone of many tons of s**t will have hit the fan?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

sjs wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:00pm
reohn2 wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 7:54pm Economist Frances Coppola's assessment on LBC of the Kwarteng's Kapitalist Konundrum:- https://youtu.be/UAhJPIH5-4Y
Are they deliberately sabotaging the economy under the assumption that when they lose the next election only the first few stone of many tons of s**t will have hit the fan?
That's what it looks like to me too,and making a shed load of money for themselves and their supporters into the same bargain.
I've said before,the Tory party is evil,there can be no other word to describe them!
Anyone who thinks trickle down economics works for anyone but the rich is either at the top cashing in on it or are fools!
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:07pm
sjs wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:00pm
That's what it looks like to me too,and making a shed load of money for themselves and their supporters into the same bargain.
I've said before,the Tory party is evil,there can be no other word to describe them!
Anyone who thinks trickle down economics works for anyone but the rich is either at the top cashing in on it or are fools!
On the assumption bankers and business leaders are not totally stupid they'll recognise there is a fair chance that Truss is temporary (until the next General Election) and that Labour will likely get into power and they'll restore the bankers bonus cap, re-instate the Corporation Tax increase, etc. (they'll have to to even start to repay the interest).

So no banker is going to move to London for 2 years then search for another job. Businesses are not going to change all their plans just for a 2 year window. Businesses wont be able to borrow anyway given the interest rate increases the mini-budget is going to cause.

Are fracking companies going to start spending on costly sites just to face stricter regulations in 2 years? (OK, Ineos might because they believe they have a fundamental right to pollute or to be exempt from regulations https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2019/0 ... -lobbying/).

One aspect that will contribute to the failures of the budget is that those it's targeted at will see an "all change" and reversal in 2 years time.

Ian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Psamathe wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:43pm
Are fracking companies going to start spending on costly sites just to face stricter regulations in 2 years? (OK, Ineos might because they believe they have a fundamental right to pollute or to be exempt from regulations https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2019/0 ... -lobbying/).

Ian
Fracking won’t work in UK says founder of fracking company Cuadrilla

Chris Cornelius says geology is too challenging and government’s support is merely ‘soundbites’
Fracking in the UK will be impossible at any meaningful scale and will not help with the energy price crisis, the founder of the UK’s first fracking company has warned.

Chris Cornelius, the geologist who founded Cuadrilla Resources, which drilled the UK’s first modern hydraulic fracturing wells in Lancashire, told the Guardian that he believed the government’s support for it is merely a “political gesture”.

“I don’t think there is any chance of fracking in the UK in the near term.”

He said that when Cuadrilla had operated here, it had discovered that the geology of the UK was unsuited to widespread fracking operations. “No sensible investors” would take the risk of embarking on large projects here, he said. “It’s very challenging geology, compared with North America [where fracking is a major industry].”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -cuadrilla
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?