Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Stevek76

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by Stevek76 »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 5:58pm Why was the 2016 referendum "truly democratic" but not the UK-wide 1975 referendum
Something about it just being a free trade area and not a political project blah blah

(Obviously this is actually false and the official leaflets from the time are perfectly clear about the political nature of the then EEC)

In other news it appears the £ just dropped a penny against the US dollar in response to kwarteng's 'reassuring' statement.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 5:58pm
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 5:54pm
Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 5:51pm
It was down to two with the restriction that voting was open across the United Kingdom... why was it "truly democratic" when those weren't?
Two is still a list and I still invite you to pick one otherwise youl just bounce the other one at me
Why was the 2016 referendum "truly democratic" but not the UK-wide 1975 referendum or the UK-wide 2011 referendum?

Thanks

Jonathan
Ok both

The 1975 referendum is out side my statement of ABOUT 50 years

but since it's on the table the question was rigged to ,do you want to remain in the EEC ? That it was ever likely to be a political Union was strongly denied , though the intent ever since it was the European coal and iron community

. If they had truthfully asked do you want to be part of the political Union, I suspect the answer would have been no. But we never got the chance,

The 2011 referendum arose out of a reckless promise to have a refendum on electoral reform in order to get the libs on side

The resultant decision to go for the alternative vote system carried a near certainty it would be defeated as no one liked it, even nick who was its main cheerleader wasn't a fan

Was it democratic ? certainly, was it truly democratic to pick the only alternative worse than the one we have. I don't think so
jois

Post by jois »

Stevek76 wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:08pm
Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 5:58pm Why was the 2016 referendum "truly democratic" but not the UK-wide 1975 referendum
Something about it just being a free trade area and not a political project blah blah

(Obviously this is actually false and the official leaflets from the time are perfectly clear about the political nature of the then EEC)

In other news it appears the £ just dropped a penny against the US dollar in response to kwarteng's 'reassuring' statement.
I'd love to see one such clear stament and it certainly wasn't on the ballet paper. I don't think such a point should have been in the small print if it was there at all
Last edited by jois on 26 Sep 2022, 6:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:24pmThe 1975 referendum is out side my statement of ABOUT 50 years
No it isn't. 1975 is 47 years ago.

Jonathan
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:28pm
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:24pmThe 1975 referendum is out side my statement of ABOUT 50 years

Jonathan
I couldnt be bother calculating ,so I said ABOUT 50 years.

Are you contesting 47 is about 50 ?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Jonathan
Angels, pins.

Are any of your nitpickers interested in the big picture or is it all to be a squabble about who said what and who should have said what?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:32pm

No... if it's ABOUT 50 then it's INSIDE your described window not OUTSIDE it.

Jonathan
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

It appears that True Democracy is in the eye of the beholder.

There is more than a hint that democracy is only True when the result accords with the wishes of the person defining Truth.

Who would have thought.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:24pm
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 5:54pm
Two is still a list and I still invite you to pick one otherwise youl just bounce the other one at me
Why was the 2016 referendum "truly democratic" but not the UK-wide 1975 referendum or the UK-wide 2011 referendum?
Ok both

but since it's on the table the question was rigged to ,do you want to remain in the EEC ? That it was ever likely to be a political Union was strongly denied , though the intent ever since it was the European coal and iron community

. If they had truthfully asked do you want to be part of the political Union, I suspect the answer would have been no. But we never got the chance,
Thanks

Exactly the same criticism can be made of the 2016 referendum... that things were going to happen that weren't on the ballot paper.

And they have.

Jonathan

PS: We're six years on and the EU is no closer than it was to being a political union or superstate.
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:34pm
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:32pm

No... if it's ABOUT 50 then it's INSIDE your described window not OUTSIDE it.

Jonathan
No your not contesting ? Or no you are ?

About 50 is vague enough that I can have my window more or less any time in the 70 and still be about .

But anyway I included it so it seems a academic point
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:35pm It appears that True Democracy is in the eye of the beholder.

There is more than a hint that democracy is only True when the result accords with the wishes of the person defining Truth.

Who would have thought.
Of course there are many components of democracy, and that Democracy Index upthread has a good range.

In this sort of context I'd use it to describe processes and systems rather than outcomes that I like or don't like.

Jonathan
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Anyone who wishes to consider what True Democracy is need look no further than Russia.

Russia has a democratic constitution, and acpresident who, it's generally accepted, has, at least until very recently, had popular support.

So, we should regard Russia as a True Democracy?

Of course not.

Because True Democracy depends on the integrity and behaviour of people within the system - the culture of the nation - as well as the written rules.

Anyone complacent about how True our Democracy is could reflect on what the winners of the One Truly Democratic Event have done to that culture in the UK. They might also reflect on the run up to the One True Event.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Does anyone have any thoughts on how Truss is doing?

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:40pm Anyone who wishes to consider what True Democracy is need look no further than Russia.

Russia has a democratic constitution, and acpresident who, it's generally accepted, has, at least until very recently, had popular support.

So, we should regard Russia as a True Democracy?

Of course not.

Because True Democracy depends on the integrity and behaviour of people within the system - the culture of the nation - as well as the written rules.

Anyone complacent about how True our Democracy is could reflect on what the winners of the One Truly Democratic Event have done to that culture in the UK. They might also reflect on the run up to the One True Event.
Russia is now the textbook example of there being a lot more to democracy than being allowed to vote occasionally.

Jonathan
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:38pm
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:24pm
Ok both

Thanks

Exactly the same criticism can be made of the 2016 referendum... that things were going to happen that weren't on the ballot paper.

And they have.

Jonathan

PS: We're six years on and the EU is no closer than it was to being a political union or superstate.
It has to be a question that fits on the ballet paper and gives equal chance to both sides

You can't ask do you want stay or leave and die a slow death through cold and starvation. That's a might biased

Stay or go from the European Union is both a fair description of the political nature of the Union and the choice in hand. I feel