Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Are we all Trussed up...

Post by reohn2 »

.....until the next GE at least? :- https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/liz-tr ... ST2snC8J45
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonineaston

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by simonineaston »

I continue to be thoroughly sickened by the extent to which the Tory right have succeeded in pursuing their bald ambition to chase profit, profit and more profit at any cost, while the country's services are stripped to the bone across the board. Truss will continue that ambition unabated. She laid out her cards back in 2012, in Brittania Unchained in which she outlined her complete disdain for ordinary people and their lives.
Strangely, we appear happy to suck it all up.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

ps for some reason, I don't seem to be able to recall that Brittania is spelled Britannia... perhaps because I've written the word Brittany so many times.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Labour here we come.... :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Sadly, I think that the Tories becoming ever more extreme will just result in Labour being more extreme in response. Oh, for the relatively sane days of people like Blair and Major.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 10:39am ps for some reason, I don't seem to be able to recall that Brittania is spelled Britannia... perhaps because I've written the word Brittany so many times.
Unfortunately there isn't a Rule to help...

; - )

Jonathan
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

axel_knutt wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 11:55am Sadly, I think that the Tories becoming ever more extreme will just result in Labour being more extreme in response. Oh, for the relatively sane days of people like Blair and Major.
Yes, though IIRC Major found his MP’s to be a bit of a self serving shower. Blair again please, the better of the available options and the centre ground that most of the electorate actually want.

Will Labour get in next time? Whilst wishing for it I don’t believe it’s a certainty - it should be but life has lots of twists and turns.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 11:06am Labour here we come.... :lol:

Al
The alternative being more of this shower? :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 3 Sep 2022, 3:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Some of the twaddle that's been spouted in the hope of squeezing out a few more votes in the tory leadership election seems to have been disregarded by wider society.

One of Truss's throwaway offers has been considering scrapping motorway speed limits. Perhaps it was nothing more than a response to a planted question but in some quarters that will now be treated as a firm policy commitment
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 2:49pm Some of the twaddle that's been spouted in the hope of squeezing out a few more votes in the tory leadership election seems to have been disregarded by wider society.

One of Truss's throwaway offers has been considering scrapping motorway speed limits. Perhaps it was nothing more than a response to a planted question but in some quarters that will now be treated as a firm policy commitment
And such utterances are unfortunately taken as verbatim and not twaddle(if anything UK motorway speed limits need reducing not increasing IMO and could even reduce journey time),such as the Johnson government promising 40 new hospitals and 20,000 extra police,the latter only bringing the police back upto 2010 manpower,and the former including a new ward or any small hospital buildings extension being counted as a new hospital!
The whole party in one of carefully planned incompetence.
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 3:46pm
thirdcrank wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 2:49pm Some of the twaddle that's been spouted in the hope of squeezing out a few more votes in the tory leadership election seems to have been disregarded by wider society.

And such utterances are unfortunately taken as verbatim and not twaddle(if anything UK motorway speed limits need reducing not increasing IMO and could even reduce journey time),such as the Johnson government promising 40 new hospitals and 20,000 extra police,the latter only bringing the police back upto 2010 manpower,and the former including a new ward or any small hospital buildings extension being counted as a new hospital!
The whole party in one of carefully planned incompetence.
I don't think I can agree with the carefully planned bit.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

As I posted elsewhere, there seems to be a growing move towards a centre/left coalition to make sure that the Tories are ousted at the next election, Liberals, Labour and Greens are all warming to the idea. Perhaps this is why the Tories are talking snap elections to try and get another 5 years on the gravy train before the coalition opposition gets established?

And if the coalition gets established, hopefully they'll usher in PR and we'll never see sight nor sound of the Tories ever again :D

I live in hope :(
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 5:08pm I don't think I can agree with the carefully planned bit.
Perhaps I should've posted "deliberate incompetence" :wink:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Stradageek wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 5:21pm As I posted elsewhere, there seems to be a growing move towards a centre/left coalition to make sure that the Tories are ousted at the next election, Liberals, Labour and Greens are all warming to the idea. Perhaps this is why the Tories are talking snap elections to try and get another 5 years on the gravy train before the coalition opposition gets established?
If this bunch aren't booted out at the next GE however short the timescale between then and now,there's no hope for the people of the UK to see an equal society
FWIW I can only see growing people's reaction to what is currently happening to the country at the hands of these terrible people andntheir supporters.
And if the coalition gets established, hopefully they'll usher in PR and we'll never see sight nor sound of the Tories ever again :D

I live in hope :(
If only I were so optimistic :wink:
W H Auden
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

If the Labour Party do somehow manage to get elected then amongst the first things that they should do is to change the voting system from first past the post to some more equitable form of proportional representation. Of course that will mean that Labour will most likely never win an outright majority again. However, more importantly, it will mean that right wing Tories are most unlikely to be the ruling party again too, which IMHO is a price worth paying for democratic decision making. Perhaps I’m wrong but my expectation would be a broader ranger of political voices in Westminster and coalition Government(s).
Last edited by Carlton green on 27 Sep 2022, 2:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.