Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 7:29pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 6:55pm
reohn2 wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 5:54pm
It's a bit like a dentist who performed brain surgery on one of his patients because he thought they needed it,then admitted he "got carried away".
It's a shame these loonies weren't "self aware" when they almost bankrupt the country :?
In some perversely reassuring sense our country, its administration and its democracy dealt with the foolishness very quickly and effectively.
I tend to feel that a sensible mature democracy should have adequate safeguards to prevent such issues. Truss/Kwarteng may have been removed but safeguards should never have allowed their madness.

Has all their damage "recovered"?

Ian
Difficult to separate 'theirs' from other macroeconomic effects taking place at the same time tbh, but they were removed speedily at least.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Bonefishblues wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 9:50pm

In some perversely reassuring sense our country, its administration and its democracy dealt with the foolishness very quickly and effectively.
I tend to feel that a sensible mature democracy should have adequate safeguards to prevent such issues. Truss/Kwarteng may have been removed but safeguards should never have allowed their madness.

Ian
Difficult to separate 'theirs' from other macroeconomic effects taking place at the same time tbh, but they were removed speedily at least.
Yes - but by whom and for what reasons and alternative preferences? That's a rhetorical question to which the answer is: those bankers and The City, who felt the Trussonomic really was a Kamikwasi - for their profits - so demanded that some of their own take the reins.

The Trussock & Kami replacements are following more City and banker-friendly policies but the other 99.999% of the population who aren't landlords or shareholders will have to pay for it, as we've all been doing since the thieving rogues invented their robbery tricks and made them law some several centuries ago now.

But perhaps you have an alternative view? :-)

Cugel, probably a damned Leveller (up not down).
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 9:50pm

Ian
Two words Brexit and Trickledown.

These people have spent 12 years feathering their own nest as the living standards of the ordinary wo/man on the street and public services suffered greatly,accelerating dramatically since 2019,so much so we're seeing unprecedented strike action by even the nurses,meanwhile the rich get richer and none more so than the people in power the country,by that I mean the people,are being ripped off wholesale!
Truss and Kwartang were removed before the rich took the hit as well as the poor that's the only reason.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Stevek76 wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 2:32pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 1:04pm Braverman didn't dream up the Rwanda thing that was under Patel. I think it is very important to put that idea on her so hopefully it ends her further political ambitions. If anyone is worse than SB it's PP!
As I said, the policy is patel's but the quote about dreaming of it comes after Braverman took over as Home Secretary.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 76dbfb0659
I would love to have a front page of The Telegraph with a plane taking off to Rwanda, that’s my dream, it’s my obsession,” Braverman told Chopper’s Politics on Tuesday.
She's every bit as heartless as Patel and possibly stupider.
Permission to appeal granted:
https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/london ... 023-01-16/

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

As I recall. over 200 Tory MPs have second jobs working for "the private sector", where their only "loyalty" lies.
Latest figures from Transparency International:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... riefs-2017

"More than 170 former ministers and senior officials have taken private sector roles related to their old policy briefs in the past six years, research has found, with Sajid Javid, Robert Buckland and Gavin Williamson among the Tory MPs declaring lucrative second jobs in the last few weeks.

It found 30% of those taking jobs after holding senior office were hired in a similar area to their government role, with the highest prevalence among former defence and education office holders. Overall, 177 out of 604 jobs since 2017 were linked to the former policy responsibilities of government ministers and officials."

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 10:10pm
What sort of experience does a politician need? Experience of being a politician? Catch 22 comes into play.
There's a lot of different jobs done by "politicians".

The big difference that I would draw in our system at the national level is between being an MP and being a Minister. (I happen to think that they should be much more separated but that's not important here.)

MPs need to learn how to do the constituency work, how to work in committees, and how to manage the appalling lifestyle that we impose on them.

Ministers need to learn how to run departments. And very often without the previous opportunities to learn that we take for granted in other jobs.

And there are people who help them to learn. I have the good fortune to know some of those who helped the first Blair administration with this. There wasn't anything particularly surprising in how this was done, but it's often taken as an example of recognising that it's necessary and of being done well.
NB date.

"Train government ministers properly and leave them in post, says ex-cabinet secretary":
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -secretary

This has come up several times in the Campbell/Stewart podcasts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rest_Is_Politics

Jonathan
toontra

Post by toontra »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 8:57am
As I recall. over 200 Tory MPs have second jobs working for "the private sector", where their only "loyalty" lies.
Latest figures from Transparency International:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... riefs-2017

"More than 170 former ministers and senior officials have taken private sector roles related to their old policy briefs in the past six years, research has found, with Sajid Javid, Robert Buckland and Gavin Williamson among the Tory MPs declaring lucrative second jobs in the last few weeks.

It found 30% of those taking jobs after holding senior office were hired in a similar area to their government role, with the highest prevalence among former defence and education office holders. Overall, 177 out of 604 jobs since 2017 were linked to the former policy responsibilities of government ministers and officials."

Jonathan
Indeed. The notion of politicians committed to "public service" is sadly a dying concept (if it ever truly existed for all but a handful). These days politics is fast track vehicle to well-paid jobs, jobs that wouldn't have been open to these largely un-qualified and under-performing individuals. Their climb up the greasy ladder and stint in the shouting house are merely an enabling necessity.