Looking for Advice: First Camping Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PeterJ

Looking for Advice: First Camping Tour

Post by PeterJ »

I've done short tours on my bike before but always stayed in B&Bs. I'd love to give camping ago. My situation is:

(a). I'm not a particularly strong cyclist - longest rides are currently about 25 miles (but that's in and around Sheffield so quite hilly)
(b) Bike is my trusty old Ridgeback Voyage - has a triple chain ring and a rack.
(c) My tent is an old Black's Nevis, sleeping bag is a North Ridge Pinnacle 4 (warm but ludicrously bulky), sleeping mat is a Thermarest Basecamp (Large). I also have a Trangia.
(d) I have 2 Ortlieb rear panniers.

Questions:

1. Where would you suggest in the UK for a 4-5 day tour? I live near Sheffield.
2. Is it worth buying lighter/more compact kit? I'm not rich but I'd be willing to fork out if it would make a significant difference.
3. Any other tips/observations welcome - particular from people who've been in a similar situation contemplating a first trip.

Thank you :)

PS. Should have said: I'm intending to stay on campsites rather than wild camp.
Jdsk

Re: Looking for Advice: First Camping Tour

Post by Jdsk »

I think that you're going to get a lot of... great idea, get out there and do it!

: - )

I wouldn't replace any of that kit at this point, but on that:

Headlamp... that's for your head.

We currently use two rear panniers and a bar bag each. Valuables go in the bar bag and it's always with us when we leave the bikes.

How about a chair strap kit for the mattress? We find it much more comfortable to sit with a backrest.

I keep the meths in a fuel bottle below the down tube.

Tent spares and repair stuff.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 4 Sep 2022, 3:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Electronics... how will you navigate? And would a USB battery pack help with keeping everything charged?

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

PeterJ wrote: 4 Sep 2022, 3:24pm 1. Where would you suggest in the UK for a 4-5 day tour? I live near Sheffield.
You've got the kit, so presumably you're not a novice camper, or a novice cyclist, putting them together shouldn't be too hard.
I'd suggest a shorter test run first. You could go anywhere and do anything but my choice would be:
Train to New Mills
NCN 68 to Derby, about 60 miles, over two days.
An ideal stopover would be Hartington about half way, there's at least two campsites there. Then re-join NCN68
Train back from Derby
As long as you don't pick days when there are strikes, both trains are frequent and easy.
There are a couple of stiff climbs on the first day, but the second day is very easy riding. Having ridden through Sheffield several times, I doubt there's anything you're not used too.
For two days, I'd take the minimum kit, I wouldn't bother with any cooking.
You'll learn what works for you as you go, don't expect it to be the same as for others and don't expect to get it perfect first time (Or maybe ever) But neither is it ever likely to be disastrous, have fun.
I resisted the idea of camping for years, more fool me, I thought it would make a bigger difference to the riding than it does and I sleep better in a tent than in some of the other places I've stayed, certainly better than in any dorm in a hostel.
Last edited by PH on 4 Sep 2022, 5:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

I'd ditch the Trangia too, or take the burner and a can stove, saves a chunk of weight and there's plenty of food options about, this is what I use now
IMG_20220514_202147713.jpg
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Get going soon while it's still warm;
Get going soon while the evenings are still longish;
Just get going soon.

Your gear sounds bulky, so just take that - tent, mat and bag. Forget the rest, plenty of cafes, Wetherspoons, etc for your first tour.

Enjoy.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Go For It! Enjoy!!
I think most of the folk on this forum will all agree that the important thing is simply pluck up your courage and get out there! Sure some of your stuff may be a bit heavy but that's not the point - the point is to go off down those roads and have a good time!
My own advice - 'specially if you're planning to get out any time soon, is to take that warm-but-heavy sleeping bag! Again, my preference would be for the quietest lanes I could find - have a look at the Sustrans website to see if there's anything suitable near you.
Lastly, weight and hills gobble up gears like they're going out of fashion, so do spend some time and maybe money, making sure you have plenty of low gears. Your local bike shop should be able to advise - there's certainly penty of folk on this forum who will be able to comment on gearing :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Go for it with what you have plus the head torch suggested above. Not sure how big the tent is but put it on the back rack in a dry bag.

Go somewhere flat with things if interest on the route. Perhaps Lincolnshire, Norfolk. We had a hol there - very nice.

You know you like cycling, it’s the camping that you are unsure of so book ahead after researching some sites. I have a few if interested. Also wait till the weather is more reliable. But put a date in your diary now and tell people you are going to do it. It’ll be hard to get out of hen without loss of face!

We started simply with short days, heavy kit (and children). We have been for a 400mile plus this summer, after a Hebrides trip last year. We love it. There is NO place I’d rather be.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

with regards kit - don't fret over it at this point, put the tent up in the garden, set everything up as though you were on a campsite - its a simple way of checking you have everything. Don't forget stuff like bike repair kit, waterproofs, even a cup! Down the line you might want to upgrade stuff to save weight, save bulk etc, etc, but there is no immediate need. try to balance the bags l to r, it'll make it easier on the bike.

with regards the bike - do make sure its in good order, tyres are in good condition, gear system all working, brakes in tip top order, tyres inflated (remember you'll have extra weight on the bike so the back in particular may want a few extra lbs to usual.

with regards to where - keep it simple, fo a loop through the Peak District, say out to Edale day 1, day 2 down the Tissington to Ashbourne, day 3 via Hognaston to Matlock and back to Sheff on day 4. easy days with a variety of terrain, access to campsites and close enough to home if you need to bail! Clearly everyone will have a different idea but try not to be tempted into anything too major at this point.

with regard to tips - don't over think things, cycling and camping are both simple pastimes. Do tell someone where you are headed, family like to know and if something does go awry it might be easier to find you. remember to take charging kit for any phones/GPS, a decent powerbank is useful but otherwise beg a bit of power from cafes etc, most campsites will help on this too.

Mostly enjoy yourself
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

PeterJ wrote: 4 Sep 2022, 3:24pm I've done short tours on my bike before but always stayed in B&Bs. I'd love to give camping a go...

...Where would you suggest in the UK for a 4-5 day tour? I live near Sheffield...

PS. Should have said: I'm intending to stay on campsites rather than wild camp.
You don't say how you intend to get to the campsite(s) (train, car?) or when you hope to go (this month?).

I'm completely biased, but my answer is the Yorkshire Wolds. Specifically - and given that you say your kit is heavy and you've not cycled much more than 25 miles at a time - my suggestion would be to stay at one campsite and use it as a fixed base at which you can dump your heavy gear and enjoy cycling further and faster without the burden of all that kit.

I am particularly impressed with Field House Farm Campsite, Tibthorpe, which was new for 2021 - I understand it is open until some time in October. It is directly on the Way of the Roses route and not very far from the Hutton Cranswick railway station on the Hull to Scarborough line which I gather can be reached on a through train from Sheffield.

There are many advantages to cycling the Yorkshire Wolds. There are flat bits and lumpy bits, but mainly there are so, so many different quiet lanes (that "criss-cross the area" as the tourist bods say). The six routes listed below are probably too long for you at the moment, but there are lots of short cut options with plenty of cyclist-friendly cafes and pubs along the way.

Wheel bender bike racks, but at least this Michelin-starred Yorkshire Wolds pub welcomes cyclists
Wheel bender bike racks, but at least this Michelin-starred Yorkshire Wolds pub welcomes cyclists

Here's some info on the campsite, including solar-powered showers and eco, compostable toilets. There is now a lockable USB charging point for campers to use:

https://www.yorkshirewoldscycleroute.co ... -tibthorpe

Do back to me if it sounds like something you'd be interested in and I'll put together some shorter route options.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I would imagine that the most immediate problem would be packing your gear on the bike - I'd guess it was selected at a time when the back of a car would have been the normal mode of transport.

The sleeping bag (pack size approx 45 x 25 cm) will fill most of an Ortlieb, and the Trangia will take a fair chunk out of the space in the other.

The tent would normally go along the top of the rack (too old to google, assuming it's made by Blacks, rather than being a Vango Nevis sold by them)
The Thermarest has a pack size of about 65 x 19 cm, which would also require that it be packed on top of the rack.
Taking both will probably mean that they have to be strapped cross-ways on the rack, above the panniers, and will have to be removed before you can get at the panniers. That will mean that you'll want front-of bike storage for anything you may need access to, other than at the start or end of the day.

As well as checking that the tent is all there and in decent condition, also check how you'll load the bike far enough in advance that you can make any changes to your gear list that you decide are necessary.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Keyboard monkey has a point BUT To my mind you like cycle touring - it’s the camping touring you are unsure of. As well as carrying the kit, pitching and striking is an integral part of it all. If you don’t like it, you won’t like cycle touring camping style. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. It’s just different.

If the tent is the Vango Nevis, it’s weight will be OK. Not sure about blacks. The sleeping bag seems to be large when packed. Not sure if the dimensions are in a compression sack or not. They obviously make all the difference.
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Wow.

Thank you so much for all the advice and pointers (and also for the encouragement - which I didn't think I needed, but reading it has been very helpful and inspiring).

Every single message has been really helpful. Thank you so much.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Go for it. Unlike the suggestions above I’d take cooking gear, but then for me half the fun of camping is having a hot brew first thing in your tent.

Pack it all up and see if you can get it on the bike. You probably don’t need all the clothes you’ve packed but I’ve found you definitely need a pair of trousers and a warm top to mooch around the campsite in as cycle gear never keeps me warm enough when not moving.

Check your insurance if you have any for what you need to do with your bike. For example my insurance is only valid if my bike is locked to “an immovable” object. So I usually end up camping near a fence in can chain my bike to.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I'd try putting stuff in panniers and see if it fits.

Yorkshire wolds sounds ideal - I may try it myself sometime.

If the Trangia takes up too much space, then have a look at speedster stoves for a small, cheap meths stove, simmer ring and windbreak.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”