Looking for Advice: First Camping Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Vorpal

Re: Looking for Advice: First Camping Tour

Post by Vorpal »

My preference for a trial run would be to set off from home with a target first day distance that I am confident I can do, with an alternate in mind a bit further on in case I either feel up to it, or there is a problem with my first stop. It really doesn't matter if your first day is only 15 miles, with an alternate stop at 18 or 20 miles or something like that. You aren't setting records. You're just trying something.

That said, my short tours are usually take the train to somewhere & ride home. I try not to set any expectations on daily distance, or anything. With 4 - 5 days, and your 25 mile rides, I'd start with ~100 miles. If you leave from home & do a loop, you can always extend that. You can plan a potential extension from the beginning, if you think it's likely. Unless you are going at half term, or something, you can probably get away with not booking, or doing so less than a day ahead.

Another thing you can do is include places with stations on your route, so if you get fed up, or have a mechanical, you can always hop on a train.

It's just a trial run. Don't replace anything. If something really isn't working for you, you can always either stop and buy something, or head back home sort it out, and head out again. IMO, since you've got some kit, use it, see what you like & don't like, and replace the stuff you don't like before your next trip. Otherwise you could spend a bunch of money & find you've spent it on something you don't really like.

Good luck & have fun!

edited to add, there are a couple of 'too good to lose' threads about camping kit. It might be worth having a look, though one is for a long tour & the other for weight minimisation, they are good for thinking about what to take with...
viewtopic.php?t=85590
viewtopic.php?t=48438
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Go for it, as others have said.
For a first trip I'd stay pretty local and avoid siren calls of other supposedly wonderful places. You have wonderful countryside on your doorsep as you doubtless know.
Edale (glorious) has been mentioned above and I'd go for that - there are campsites there and of course you can always get a train straight back from Edale to Sheffield.
I'd go with pretty much what you have to start with - otherwise you will spend ages researching researching and very possibly not doing. You also risk buying lots of stuff you later turn against.
Plenty of time to learn about whatever you might need from experience and from nice folk on here.
Sounds like you will be putting a fair bit of stuff on the rack.
Things I would buy to avoid perhaps the most daunting bit of cycle packing - the dreaded traditional bungee:
Rokstraps:
https://rokstraps.com/

or Nitize Knotbone
https://www.niteize.co.uk/products/knot ... e-bungee-5

Or if belt and braces like me, two of each.
I can pack and unpack in very quickly with those and very securely.

If you need drybags for the racktop, Planet X do cheapish and tough ones.
Lomo also do some.

Have a great time.
Sweep
evag72

Post by evag72 »

I can't give any specific routes but I use Komoot for planning my rides and I find it's really good for planning routes which avoid busy roads. What I like to do is add the a bunch of landmarks to my route and then adjust it to go along back roads.
Tubes & a tire should be all you really need from a bike maintenance point of view. I would map out bike shops on your route. Last time I did a tour I ended up going through a set of brakes due to rain & sand on the road.
Last edited by evag72 on 15 Sep 2022, 11:57am, edited 1 time in total.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

In terms of equipment, I'd also say don't change anything now. Wait till you've done a trip or two and have found what works and does not work for you. It might in any case prove to be a permanently evolving solution!
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

The other route planner to look at is http://cycle.travel which is run by RichardF of this forum.

Does a great job of avoiding busy roads and attempts to put you on a scenic route.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

st599_uk wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 10:58am The other route planner to look at is http://cycle.travel which is run by RichardF of this forum.

Does a great job of avoiding busy roads and attempts to put you on a scenic route.
I would describe it rather as the route planner that provides the best balance between 'quiet' and 'not too circuitous'. But there is a lengthy thread on here about cycle.travel, for anyone who is curious

viewtopic.php?p=752733#p752733
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

I thought I should update this, particularly in the light of all the advice posters have shared. As you can see from the following, the pointers I received on here were very helpful

In the end I went for a 3 night stay on a campsite near Driffield in the Yorkshire Wolds. I travelled there by car and left it in a free carpark. I didn't want to be reliant on trains over the b/h weekend, and I wanted to be able to escape if I wasn't enjoying myself.

I loaded up my bike in the carpark and pedalled 3 miles to the campsite. The bike was VERY heavy with all my kit, but I realised that once underway you don't feel the weight - it's just when getting on and off that care is required.

I went for a campsite that had showers and proper loos. I'm not ready for the complete back to nature experience yet.

On Saturday I followed the Yorkshire Wolds Path 1 to Bridlington. I thoroughly enjoyed it. However I realised on the return trip that I might have bitten off more than I can chew (It's 6 years since I've cycled more than 20 miles, and this was a 40 mile round trip). But luckily I came across a chip shop when I still had about 5 miles to do. One portion of chips and a can of Sprite later and I was good to go.

Sunday I planned to ride to Beverley but disaster struck. I noticed before I set off that the back tyre was flat. 'No problem', I thought, 'I have a spare inner tube and a puncture repair kit'. I got the rear wheel off without too much difficulty and put the new inner tube in. Which quickly deflated. I realised in a facepalm moment that I hadn't checked the tyre for the cause of the puncture. Turns out there was a big thorn which had now claimed two inner tubes. So I reached for my puncture repair kit (self adhesive sticky patches). Unfortunately it was 20+ years old and had lost all its stickiness.

No cycle shops were open in Driffield on Sunday so I got a lift into town and picked up my car from the carpark and used that for my day in Beverley.

So, lessons Iearned:

1. This forum is an invaluable source of advice. I left my trangia at home, relied on food from the local supermarket, chose the Wolds because people had recommended them as a flat route, and went with my existing sleeping stuff rather than buying new kit. Those were all good decisions.

2. I really enjoy camping.

3. I need to build up my fitness over Winter. I was worn out after 1 x 40 mile day in the Wolds on a lightly loaded bike. I can't see me making it up hills with my fully loaded tourer.

4. Check the bloody tyre before putting a new inner tube in.

Thanks again for all the help. It was much appreciated.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

To see me through the difficult patches I used a number of shorter tours to build up towards a longer tour.

To minimise the hills issue, I did the Rhine Radweg route - absolutely stunning, although once you get to Holland the issue isn't hills, it's headwinds.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

PeterJ wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 9:58am I thought I should update this, particularly in the light of all the advice posters have shared. As you can see from the following, the pointers I received on here were very helpful

In the end I went for a 3 night stay on a campsite near Driffield in the Yorkshire Wolds. I travelled there by car and left it in a free carpark. I didn't want to be reliant on trains over the b/h weekend, and I wanted to be able to escape if I wasn't enjoying myself.

I loaded up my bike in the carpark and pedalled 3 miles to the campsite. The bike was VERY heavy with all my kit, but I realised that once underway you don't feel the weight - it's just when getting on and off that care is required.

I went for a campsite that had showers and proper loos. I'm not ready for the complete back to nature experience yet.

On Saturday I followed the Yorkshire Wolds Path 1 to Bridlington. I thoroughly enjoyed it. However I realised on the return trip that I might have bitten off more than I can chew (It's 6 years since I've cycled more than 20 miles, and this was a 40 mile round trip). But luckily I came across a chip shop when I still had about 5 miles to do. One portion of chips and a can of Sprite later and I was good to go.

Sunday I planned to ride to Beverley but disaster struck. I noticed before I set off that the back tyre was flat. 'No problem', I thought, 'I have a spare inner tube and a puncture repair kit'. I got the rear wheel off without too much difficulty and put the new inner tube in. Which quickly deflated. I realised in a facepalm moment that I hadn't checked the tyre for the cause of the puncture. Turns out there was a big thorn which had now claimed two inner tubes. So I reached for my puncture repair kit (self adhesive sticky patches). Unfortunately it was 20+ years old and had lost all its stickiness.

No cycle shops were open in Driffield on Sunday so I got a lift into town and picked up my car from the carpark and used that for my day in Beverley.

So, lessons Iearned:

1. This forum is an invaluable source of advice. I left my trangia at home, relied on food from the local supermarket, chose the Wolds because people had recommended them as a flat route, and went with my existing sleeping stuff rather than buying new kit. Those were all good decisions.

2. I really enjoy camping.

3. I need to build up my fitness over Winter. I was worn out after 1 x 40 mile day in the Wolds on a lightly loaded bike. I can't see me making it up hills with my fully loaded tourer.

4. Check the bloody tyre before putting a new inner tube in.

Thanks again for all the help. It was much appreciated.
Well done all round.

After not dissimilar experiences to yours I always carry two spare tubes and puncture repair kit including unused, factory sealed rubber solution.

I'm also paranoid about finding the cause of a puncture, and my technique is:

1. Remove tyre from one side of rim
2 pull out tube, but with valve still in place (with retaining screw)
3 inflate tube in situ, locate puncture

You now know exactly where on the tyre (or wheel, if it was something like a spoke sticking through) to look for the offending item and ensure it's removed.

Following a recent experience of discovering my pump had failed, I'd also recommend ensuring you've tried the pump you're touring with is OK before setting off!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Well done.

How about weighing the luggage next time... that would provide an opportunity for some objective comparisons.

Checking why punctures occurred... as you say... lesson learned.

What next?

Jonathan
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

PeterJ wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 9:58am … In the end I went for a 3 night stay on a campsite near Driffield in the Yorkshire Wolds. I travelled there by car and left it in a free carpark. I didn't want to be reliant on trains over the b/h weekend, and I wanted to be able to escape if I wasn't enjoying myself.

On Saturday I followed the Yorkshire Wolds Path 1 to Bridlington. I thoroughly enjoyed it…
Sounds like you had a good time and a salvageable learning experience. The Yorkshire Wolds are flat if you follow the spine - such as from Driffield to Bridlington - but lumpier if you choose to go against the grain, as it were. That’s one of the many delights of the area, which is currently being assessed as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

I wondered if you found some other place or went for Field House Farm Campsite after all:

https://www.yorkshirewoldscycleroute.co ... -tibthorpe

Although I’ve cycle camped - years ago - I always appreciated the option of leaving all that kit at base and heading off to explore unladen. Good stuff :D
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 4:37pm
Sounds like you had a good time and a salvageable learning experience. The Yorkshire Wolds are flat if you follow the spine - such as from Driffield to Bridlington - but lumpier if you choose to go against the grain, as it were. That’s one of the many delights of the area, which is currently being assessed as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

I wondered if you found some other place or went for Field House Farm Campsite after all:

https://www.yorkshirewoldscycleroute.co ... -tibthorpe

Although I’ve cycle camped - years ago - I always appreciated the option of leaving all that kit at base and heading off to explore unladen. Good stuff :D
Thanks for suggesting Field House. I checked out their website and although it sounded lovely I figured I'd prefer conventional showers and loos for this trip.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Re puncture kits getting old. One thing I gained from these forums was don’t remove the glue lid. Instead snip the end off the bottom of the tube and then roll it over to seal again. Works a treat!
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Remember and pack your toilet roll! You'll thank yourself in the morning!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

well done, sounds to me like you are gloriously hooked.
agree with post above about 2 spare tubes and an unopened virgin solution with traditional patches.
yep the weight of a loaded bike can seem daunting but once moving not so - always seems to me like a relaxed tank and all fine if you have the right bike and rack.
Glad the chippy appeared from the mirage - good idea to have snacks with you.
even the dreaded gels for emergencies though I favour Lidl wine gums.
Maltodextrin handy for in bottles.
plus anti cramp stuff of some sort.
Sweep