First bike ride in ages

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
AlanD

First bike ride in ages

Post by AlanD »

Today was my first bike ride in about a year, and probably my second since covid hit us.
Not sure why this happened, but when it hit, far from taking advantage of the lack of traffic, I just took cover and it has been difficult coming back onto my bike, walking and running have dominated.
Well today I summoned up the courage and got back out there for a ride.
I did not experience that sense of freedom or relaxation that I had hoped for. Indeed, There was a level of anxiety and foreboding, no doubt in part to what I had been reading in the media, Grant Shapps etc, and an article that I came across where individuals had said that they would never ride on the road again because of abuse that they had suffered.
Well those feelings subsided when I reached the bridge across the Thames at Streetley/Goring, which is where I took this picture.
There were a few other riders out, including the local road club, which helped my confidence a lot to see them.
My legs absolutely ached and the breathing became laboured a few times, this was just as strenuous as my weekly ParkRun.
After Streetley/Goring, it was back home via Wallingford. I wanted to cross the bridge there and see what Highways had done with my complaint about close passes and poor lane marking. Much improved. Today was the last day of the BunkFest, but did not stop.
On the whole, drivers were well behaved. No stupid overtakes. Although there were two passes closer than I would have liked.
Plus there was one blind driver that shot across my front on the mini-roundabout at the Cross-Keys in Wallingford; the usual shoot out then look when its too late. If I had been a couple of seconds earlier, then I would have no doubt gone across his bonnet.
A good hard sprint for home as a left Wallingford behind.
Now my legs ache and I just feel sleepy. Let's just see how I feel during the week, want to take this gently.
Attachments
IMG_0918.JPG
keyboardmonkey

Re: First bike ride in ages

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Well done getting out and about. That first ride in a while is so often the hardest. Here’s to many more :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Well said.

Jonathan
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

A few years ago I had 4 months off the bike due to illness. First ride back, out with my wife and she drops me on every little ride, we only average 12 mph and I’m completely shattered after 20 miles. However, within 3 months of riding 2-3 times a week I was back to full fitness, doing 50 mile rides and averaging 15-16 mph on rides. Just keep it up and your fitness will improve quickly.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

AlanD wrote: 4 Sep 2022, 4:28pm Today was my first bike ride in about a year, and probably my second since covid hit us.
Not sure why this happened, but when it hit, far from taking advantage of the lack of traffic, I just took cover and it has been difficult coming back onto my bike, walking and running have dominated.
Well today I summoned up the courage and got back out there for a ride.
I did not experience that sense of freedom or relaxation that I had hoped for. Indeed, There was a level of anxiety and foreboding, no doubt in part to what I had been reading in the media, Grant Shapps etc, and an article that I came across where individuals had said that they would never ride on the road again because of abuse that they had suffered.
Well those feelings subsided when I reached the bridge across the Thames at Streetley/Goring, which is where I took this picture.
There were a few other riders out, including the local road club, which helped my confidence a lot to see them.
My legs absolutely ached and the breathing became laboured a few times, this was just as strenuous as my weekly ParkRun.
After Streetley/Goring, it was back home via Wallingford. I wanted to cross the bridge there and see what Highways had done with my complaint about close passes and poor lane marking. Much improved. Today was the last day of the BunkFest, but did not stop.
On the whole, drivers were well behaved. No stupid overtakes. Although there were two passes closer than I would have liked.
Plus there was one blind driver that shot across my front on the mini-roundabout at the Cross-Keys in Wallingford; the usual shoot out then look when its too late. If I had been a couple of seconds earlier, then I would have no doubt gone across his bonnet.
A good hard sprint for home as a left Wallingford behind.
Now my legs ache and I just feel sleepy. Let's just see how I feel during the week, want to take this gently.
Well done Alan.

Keep it going and get some miles in your legs before winter sets in.