Meths Bottle for Bottle Cage

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
st599_uk

Meths Bottle for Bottle Cage

Post by st599_uk »

Hi

Does anyone know of a Meths bottle that fits tightly in to a bottle cage? Or even better, one designed to fit in a bottle cage.

I've got a Trangia bottle, but it's not a good fit. Don't necessarily need a top with a pouring spout like the Trangia. Would like it to be similar thick plastic, brightly coloured etc.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Re: Meths Bottle for Bottle Cage

Post by Jdsk »

I use a metal SIGG fuel bottle in a dedicated cage. External diameter about 80 mm. Usable capacity of 890 mL.

Are you only interested in something that will fit a standard cage?

Thanks

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Haven't checked, but I'm told reliably that Innocent juice bottles are the correct diameter for a standard bottle cage, 73mm. Obviously you need to appropriately label or delabel it!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 5 Sep 2022, 12:14pm ...
Obviously you need to appropriately label or delabel it!
Jdsk wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 1:10pmThe dual fuel trick is completely different. We carry enough spirits for ourselves to drink and enough for the stove to burn with some reserve margin. If the same liquid can be used for both purposes you can reduce the total mass of the reserve supply.

In our case (!) when either walking or cycling it's Scotch because that's the best for the first purpose. One of the reasons being that it doesn't need a mixer. And it's always good stuff! De gustibus non est disputandum.
viewtopic.php?p=1690013#p1690013

: - )

Jonathan
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Couldn't you keep your nice safe spill resistant trangia bottle and buy a topeak(or similar) adjustable cage (and toe strap) for it ?

I use the plastic ex one:
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... LA-CAGE-EX
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... LA-CAGE-II
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... able-Cages
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
djb

Post by djb »

I've used my old MSR red metal fuel bottle that fits in tightly and doesn't rattle, but my suggestion is to simply fatten up whatever plastic bottle that you like most, using some foam glued on or whatever. The simple strap idea is an easy way to ensure it's secure if there is still some play.
For short trips, I have some tough small plastic bottles that I simply put in one of my front panniers along with the cooking stuff, as they are much too small for the lower bottle cage, and I'm ok with them being in the pannier.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I have resized some very nice but slightly oversized plastic cages with strips of velcro stuck inside.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

If you've already got a Trangia bottle, it might be better to find a bottle cage that it will fit well.
What size Trangia bottle are you talking about?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

rualexander wrote: 9 Sep 2022, 7:31pm If you've already got a Trangia bottle, it might be better to find a bottle cage that it will fit well.
What size Trangia bottle are you talking about?
In this post viewtopic.php?p=1721067#p1721067 I should have mentioned I use the Ex with the 0.5l trangia bottle but some of the bigger topeak ones might fut the 1-L one..
irc

Post by irc »

Why not just use a standard plastic drinks bottle? Meths will not react with plastic. The top might actually be a good design for squirting into a stove.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

The official trangia bottles have a sprung closure, as well as screw closure , so limiting size of spills, if knocked or dropped, a useful feature imho.
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

There are a few adjustable bottle cages on the market, typically going smaller than a standard bottle though some go either way.
PrinterJohn

Post by PrinterJohn »

Google Bike Buddy, perfect for large Trangia bottles.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

We use Sigg knock offs, and adjust the calibre with Duct Tape. The answer if not 42, is Duct Tape.