Two person cooking pot

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
in4time

Two person cooking pot

Post by in4time »

Looking at the price of some titanium models I’m after one pot with lid solution that’s not going to cost a lot. Anyone?
Jdsk

Re: Two person cooking pot

Post by Jdsk »

Just the pot and lid... not a system with a burner?

Thanks

Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

slightly outside of the box - how about the Sea to Summit folding kettle and/or cook pot? I'm a Ti fan usually but i now don't use any in my camping crockery kit, instead i've gone silicon and Al and actually saved weight and space. I will admit to using a Soto Ti burner with a pizo starter, the ability to fine adjust the flame is essential with silicon cookwear and actually saves fuel too.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

what's the budget?
and why titanium?
Titanium cooking stuff strikes me as bonkers prices and I also have the idea that it's actually pretty poor as a material for cooking pots anyway - poor heat distribution.
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Blacks quite often have Trangia pots at good prices. They don't come with lids but you can use the frying pan as a lid, and then you have a frying pan too.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pjclinch wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 8:32am Blacks quite often have Trangia pots at good prices. They don't come with lids but you can use the frying pan as a lid, and then you have a frying pan too.
good point - I have bought trangia pans for under a fiver.
There's also a Trangia ally plate which you can use as a lid.
Sweep
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

small wok?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Aluminium is not much heavier than titanium, if at all, but quite a bit cheaper.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/iBasingo-Titan ... to_dp&th=1

It isn't much lighter than an alloy set and Sweep is correct in that heat distribution on any ti cookware is poor but, the stuff cools down quickly (no burnt fingers) and doesn't seem to bend or buckle as easily as alloy.
Same company does a ti mug that is perfect for making a brew in.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm not sure if the chinese didn't invent the bicycle - they're v. clever with this and that and seem to have invented everything else to wit spagetti, newspapers, fireworks, the manbun and wotnot. So it follows that the combination of bicycle & wok would be a winner. Oh and tea.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 7:48am
Titanium cooking stuff ...<SNIP>... the idea that it's actually pretty poor as a material for cooking pots anyway - poor heat distribution.
That was my experience. I had a pair of nesting pots, 500 & 900ml I think, fine for quickly heating stuff up, though even then you'd need to keep stirring, poor for any real cooking. I sold them. I don't take much cooking gear these days, just enough for a hot drink, or adding boiling water to something instant if I get stuck. If I did, it wouldn't be titanium, the weight saving wasn't huge and I don't think there's any other benefit.
There is a style of titanium pot that aims to improve the heat distribution by having a smaller base and deeply sloping sides, I've only seen them advertised, so have no idea how effective they are.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonineaston wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 11:21am I'm not sure if the chinese didn't invent the bicycle - they're v. clever with this and that and seem to have invented everything else to wit spagetti,
Don't tell the Italians that - they also think they invented it, along with the tomato.
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Sweep wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 1:21pm
simonineaston wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 11:21am I'm not sure if the chinese didn't invent the bicycle - they're v. clever with this and that and seem to have invented everything else to wit spagetti,
Don't tell the Italians that - they also think they invented it, along with the tomato.
What rubbish! But it is true that the British invented the potato. And alphabetti spaghetti.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Back on topic, for best in cooking but not as heavy as a wok, use a stainless steel pan. Probably more expensive than aluminium though.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

On the Trangia pan suggestion, though cheap (sure i have one with £3.50 on a stickered price) I can vouch for the quality of the plain lightweight ally ones.
I very regularly when cooking for one at home use one on a domestic gas hob.
It's stood up to it with no signs of trouble.
Must have used it hundreds of times.
And is a doddle to clean as long as you aren't frying anything in it, which you would have no reason to of course.
You would also need the handle.
Sweep