European trains - sleeper service

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Will

European trains - sleeper service

Post by Will »

A new sleeper service was announced yesterday that might be of interest to touring cyclists: https://www.railjournal.com/passenger/m ... n-service/

It mentions on their website (https://www.europeansleeper.eu/english/) that they will carry bikes. Regiojet will be supplying the rolling stock and I believe that last summer they acquired four of the ex-DB Bahn couchette carriages (that have 20 bike spaces): https://www.vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/fot ... 124206.jpg. With a bit of luck they will use the same type of carriage on this route.

They still have some work to do to raise the required funding, but they are partnering with Regiojet who already run a successful sleeper service from Prague to Split, which increases the possibility that this will service will go ahead.

The Man in Seat 61 states "My guess at rough timings is Brussels dep. 19:00, Amsterdam dep. 23:00, Berlin arr. 06:00, Dresden 08:15, Prague 10:30.
And westbound, Prague dep. 18:30, Dresden dep. 21:00, Berlin dep. 23:00, Amsterdam arr. 06:00, Brussels arr. 09:45.
This is based on information that the train will arrive Berlin around 06:00 and leave around 23:00 westbound."

With this timing, it would be possible to take the Harwich-Hoek van Holland day ferry and have plenty of time to cycle into Rotterdam, have some dinner, and then join the sleeper around 22:00. It might also be possible to get an early morning ferry from Dover to Dunkirk, cycle to De Panne, and then get a direct train to Brussels in time to meet the expected 19:00 departure from there.

Will
glucas

Re: New Proposed Sleeper Service

Post by glucas »

This is tremendously exciting. If it has 20 spaces, I think that's more than (correct me if I am wrong) the 2 spaces on Eurostar.

I had not considered the daytime ferry from Harwich or Dover. I thought that the way to use this was to get to Brussels (possibly by using 1 of the meagre spaces on the Eurostar) and then departing from there.

I hope that one is in close proximity with one's bike, and not the fiasco that I experienced last year in York where I had to run down the platform to stop the driver from pulling out because nobody opened the train doors where the bikes were stored.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

This is indeed great news. If it will use the German carriages that I know, one half of the carriage will be places for bicycles and the other half couchette style sleeping compartments for the cyclists.
glucas

Post by glucas »

willem jongman wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:37am This is indeed great news. If it will use the German carriages that I know, one half of the carriage will be places for bicycles and the other half couchette style sleeping compartments for the cyclists.
Thanks. That is reassuring.
Will

Post by Will »

glucas wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:44am
willem jongman wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:37am This is indeed great news. If it will use the German carriages that I know, one half of the carriage will be places for bicycles and the other half couchette style sleeping compartments for the cyclists.
Thanks. That is reassuring.
The couchette carriages that RegioJet acquired last summer are the BDcm type that have the 20 bike spaces: http://www.railvolution.net/news/compos ... cars-at-rj

These carriages have 6 x 6 berth couchettes: https://www.vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/fot ... 124314.jpg

I believe that RegioJet only use 3 berths in each cabin, with the bottom one on the other side set up as seating.

Will
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for posting. Sounds good. Hope it happens.

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Will wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 9:33am A new sleeper service was announced yesterday that might be of interest to touring cyclists: https://www.railjournal.com/passenger/m ... n-service/

It mentions on their website (https://www.europeansleeper.eu/english/) that they will carry bikes. Regiojet will be supplying the rolling stock and I believe that last summer they acquired four of the ex-DB Bahn couchette carriages (that have 20 bike spaces): https://www.vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/fot ... 124206.jpg. With a bit of luck they will use the same type of carriage on this route.

They still have some work to do to raise the required funding, but they are partnering with Regiojet who already run a successful sleeper service from Prague to Split, which increases the possibility that this will service will go ahead.

The Man in Seat 61 states "My guess at rough timings is Brussels dep. 19:00, Amsterdam dep. 23:00, Berlin arr. 06:00, Dresden 08:15, Prague 10:30.
And westbound, Prague dep. 18:30, Dresden dep. 21:00, Berlin dep. 23:00, Amsterdam arr. 06:00, Brussels arr. 09:45.
This is based on information that the train will arrive Berlin around 06:00 and leave around 23:00 westbound."

With this timing, it would be possible to take the Harwich-Hoek van Holland day ferry and have plenty of time to cycle into Rotterdam, have some dinner, and then join the sleeper around 22:00. It might also be possible to get an early morning ferry from Dover to Dunkirk, cycle to De Panne, and then get a direct train to Brussels in time to meet the expected 19:00 departure from there.

Will
Very interesting. Thanks.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
monxton

Post by monxton »

glucas wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:12am I hope that one is in close proximity with one's bike, and not the fiasco that I experienced last year in York where I had to run down the platform to stop the driver from pulling out because nobody opened the train doors where the bikes were stored.
That must have been very worrying. Next time, go and talk to the train guard as soon as you leave the stop before yours, and check that they know where you need to unload your bike. You shouldn't have to, but they are just human, and sometimes they change over en route and forget to pass on that information.

If they still let you down after you have personally ensured that the guard is aware, then hold up the train by keeping a door open. That gets their attention.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

It’s good advice: mine has a slight variation - I speak to the train manager/guard as soon as I get on the train/when they check my ticket. And remind them later.

I then move from my seat down to the end of train where the bike is stored, ten minutes before the train arrives at my destination. This reduces the mad dash down the platform carrying heavy panniers.

And, as has already been said, if it’s a guard van and they’ve forgotten to unlock it, etc, they hate doors being left open! Better that, than my precious bike and loads of belongings in panniers and bar bag, disappearing into the distance.

This was born of stark reality as I also had the stress once of the door being locked, guard shouting to close a carriage door, and I didn’t have my bike.

You live and learn: never again.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
glucas

Post by glucas »

monxton wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 11:49pm
glucas wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:12am I hope that one is in close proximity with one's bike, and not the fiasco that I experienced last year in York where I had to run down the platform to stop the driver from pulling out because nobody opened the train doors where the bikes were stored.
That must have been very worrying. Next time, go and talk to the train guard as soon as you leave the stop before yours, and check that they know where you need to unload your bike. You shouldn't have to, but they are just human, and sometimes they change over en route and forget to pass on that information.

If they still let you down after you have personally ensured that the guard is aware, then hold up the train by keeping a door open. That gets their attention.
Thanks for this. I will follow your advice next time!

Yes, it was coming home from Berwick-Upon-Tweed. The staff in Berwick could not have been more helpful - the guy came up to me twice, telling me where to stand at the front of the platform. On approach they actually took the bike and put it in the first carriage at the front at the train and told me to go to my carriage. So, in actual fact I did not know exactly where it was put at the time because my seat reservation was somewhere in the middle of the train.

When we arrived at York, I got off the train, and there was some kerfuffle on the adjoining platform. I think there were some staff there with a couple of british transport police. Thinking back I don't know if this had distracted the staff, but as far as I was concerned that was on the other side of the tracks and nothing to do with the platform I was on. I looked hurriedly up and down and could not see any staff for love nor money. I ran up and down in panic as I had no idea exactly where the bike was. Next thing, the doors shut, so I then sprinted to the driver at the front of the train and waved my arms at him. Fortunately enough, he got off the train and unlocked the carriage for me, and I retrieved the bike.

The connecting train, a new Azuma, from York to Peterborough was less eventful as one of the compartments had 4 vertical spaces within the door entry area.

Yes - you live and learn! But forums like this are helpful - I never would have thought to badger the on board ticket collector/guard.
Last edited by glucas on 10 Apr 2021, 11:25am, edited 5 times in total.
glucas

Post by glucas »

markjohnobrien wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 8:59am It’s good advice: mine has a slight variation - I speak to the train manager/guard as soon as I get on the train/when they check my ticket. And remind them later.

I then move from my seat down to the end of train where the bike is stored, ten minutes before the train arrives at my destination. This reduces the mad dash down the platform carrying heavy panniers.

And, as has already been said, if it’s a guard van and they’ve forgotten to unlock it, etc, they hate doors being left open! Better that, than my precious bike and loads of belongings in panniers and bar bag, disappearing into the distance.

This was born of stark reality as I also had the stress once of the door being locked, guard shouting to close a carriage door, and I didn’t have my bike.

Yes! I am glad there is somebody out there who has had the same experience! I felt like a total idiot! Thanks for your advice.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Article on the new service in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... e-on-track

Cheers,

Keith
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Thanks for posting the link.

As I’m not a Guardian reader, I’d have missed it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

glucas wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 9:53am
markjohnobrien wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 8:59am It’s good advice: mine has a slight variation - I speak to the train manager/guard as soon as I get on the train/when they check my ticket. And remind them later.

Yes! I am glad there is somebody out there who has had the same experience! I felt like a total idiot! Thanks for your advice.
I know the feeling, but a train has never actually left with any of our stuff.

We're usually travelling as a couple. When that's the case it's one person's job to make sure that the train can't leave until the bikes and luggage are off. (Fewer objects that have to be moved on and off trains etc is one of the reasons that that we don't often use front panniers.)

Jonathan
glucas

Post by glucas »

Yes, it's a shame the whole experience seems a bit fraught

It was interesting to read on here that the LNER or maybe cross country trains is perceived as being problematic now (in terms of bike carriage), whereas before it was easier. I wonder why? Is it the new Azuma train or did they change the booking system? I am thinking east coast here.