or have any advice for totally clueless, unskilled new cyclist?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
firedfromthecircus

Re: or have any advice for totally clueless, unskilled new cyclist?

Post by firedfromthecircus »

LancsGirl wrote: 7 Sep 2022, 1:11pm 3. Design routes that you feel safe on. Others here may disagree, but I feel right turns off a main road onto a side road are the most hazardous. I design routes to avoid them.

Indeed. All the confidence and assertiveness in the world can't protect you from the blind and inattentive if you have to stop and wait for oncoming vehicles to pass on a r/h turn.
I too try to avoid them.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Yes, on a plain RH junction from a main road in rural areas, unless I am very confident that everything is safe, I will pull in on the left, then check for vehicles before setting off again down the side road. It may seem wimpish or OTT, but I had a nasty ‘off’ while getting into position to take such a turn, an unclip ping problem, and ended-up sitting on the white line, watching a Ford Transit approach.

As I’ve related before, the van driver was as shaken-up as me, more so if anything, and was profusely apologetic for something that wasn’t his fault.

Anyway, since then I’m probably over-cautious about such turns, which can leave you sitting (literally in my case) near the middle of the road, where vehicles approaching from either direction might not expect to see an obstruction.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

GrahamJ wrote: 7 Sep 2022, 1:37pm Another vote for getting a mirror.

I can't help with roundabouts. My solution is to live in a remote part of Scotland where the nearest one is about 70 miles away. Cugel seems to have two mirrors, which I would do if I encountered roundabouts more often.
Yes, the two mirrors have become indispensable, not so much for roundabouts (I only have to get across mini ones, often with no car for miles, out here in West Wales) but for all other situations in which something approaches from behind (or might do). The curves of a road mean that the ability to see that part of it now behind needs two mirrors, as the curve takes away the view of a single mirror when the curve is the "wrong" way. All you see is a hedge.

The general opinion that a roundabout needs to be tackled in a way dependent on the particular roundabout, the traffic levels, the experience & confidence of the cyclists and several other factors seems right to me. As with so many practicalities, there is never a single right answer.

My worry is that a novice will often seek then obey some standardised lump of advice offered by an "authority". Even the properly constituted authorities sometimes offer singular procedures for a situation where a multiplicity of them are needed in practice, as there isn't just a single such situation but a 101 varieties of it.

I get particularly wary of advice that relies on the notions of someone else's theoretical duties or a cyclist's supposed rights. These are cultural constructs no longer universal within our fragmented - corrupted, even - culture. Many ignore them in favour of, "What I want to do right now 'cos I'm in a hurry and anyway FU".

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

*MIRROR - SIGNAL - MANOEVER.

The same driving a car as riding a bicycle.

Make your intentions clear to all other road users.

Be decisive. Once you have signalled your intent (say, to turn right) move steadily to the right.
Signal in good time. Appear confident and you will become so.
My experience is that other road users show respect if you appear to know what you are doing.
They don't like indecision or sudden un signalled darting to and fro.

(Perhaps on a cycle path first)
Practise braking with one hand while maintaining a steady course. This requires modulated braking.
ie steady increase in pressure - no sudden jerks.

*If your bike doesn't have a mirror, or even if it does, practise looking behind over your shoulder without swerving.
Just a glance is usually enough.

Bon Voyage!
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Nearholmer wrote: 7 Sep 2022, 2:55pm Yes, on a plain RH junction from a main road in rural areas, unless I am very confident that everything is safe, I will pull in on the left, then check for vehicles before setting off again down the side road. It may seem wimpish or OTT, but I had a nasty ‘off’ while getting into position to take such a turn, an unclip ping problem, and ended-up sitting on the white line, watching a Ford Transit approach.

As I’ve related before, the van driver was as shaken-up as me, more so if anything, and was profusely apologetic for something that wasn’t his fault.

Anyway, since then I’m probably over-cautious about such turns, which can leave you sitting (literally in my case) near the middle of the road, where vehicles approaching from either direction might not expect to see an obstruction.
Me too. A similar scenario was one of my two "offs". The other was learning that sharp turns on wet grass are a really bad idea.

I agree. If you aren't sure, dismount and walk over.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The ones that are really dodgy are turnings on the crowns of bends. We’ve got a couple nearby in the countryside and trees and hedges make sighting-time really short.

All of which could serve to put the OP off, which it shouldn’t. Cycling is a joy, you just need your wits about you when doing it.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Nearholmer wrote: 7 Sep 2022, 5:16pm The ones that are really dodgy are turnings on the crowns of bends. We’ve got a couple nearby in the countryside and trees and hedges make sighting-time really short.

All of which could serve to put the OP off, which it shouldn’t. Cycling is a joy, you just need your wits about you when doing it.
Roll this streetview forward a few yards. On the inside of that bend, blinded by a tall hedge, hidden behind the road sign, you'll find the exit of the cycle path. Catch me using it you won't.

And another here in the lee of a blind bend, and another.

These are all within a few hundred yards of each other.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
poppin

Post by poppin »

Thanks for all the discussion on junctions etc - very helpful. I will see if i can find a suitable mirror :D

Before i go off and read more about Strava and plan routes etc, here is my Strava summary from today.

It says i have an ave km per hour speed of 29 or something. I do not feel that I was going fast at all, in reality, there were a lot of times where i was crawling and tired (from HIIT i did yesterday too). I feel like i was cycling a lot longer than 38 minuites too

Is it possible that at quite a few points, I was going far too slow for Strava GPS to register movement and the app auto- paused?

I've never been inclined to have a training app before, so I definitely need to look at how it measures etc
Attachments
Screenshot_20220907-110851.png
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

18.1 mph on a 'slow' ride around town on a 37 year old bike.

I think someone's taking the Michael. :wink: :wink:
poppin

Post by poppin »

lol, i think i mis read.

i've gone in to stats analysis and my average speed is 8.9 mph
poppin

Post by poppin »

why does "overview" on strava average vary so much from the "analysis" chart?
poppin

Post by poppin »

Simon - i told you i was clueless :D
poppin

Post by poppin »

there you go - my question is why do the Strava summary figures (i'm looking at you average speed) :lol: vary so much from the graph? I was thinking i was sh*t hot at speed (not really, see earlier posts) and now i can see im pootling at 8mph
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-09-07 20.46.42.png
poppin

Post by poppin »

Will bow out gracefully from this thread!

Thank you all for the constructive, useful suggestions and perspectives.
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

poppin wrote: 7 Sep 2022, 8:49pm there you go - my question is why do the Strava summary figures (i'm looking at you average speed) :lol: vary so much from the graph? I was thinking i was sh*t hot at speed (not really, see earlier posts) and now i can see im pootling at 8mph
Strava has to get its info from somewhere. What is Strava installed on, a phone? Or are you using some sort of sports watch?